Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tail light broken (Read 70 times)
odvelasc
Ex Member

Tail light broken
03/23/09 at 11:58:20

Another question for all you knowlegeable savages. My back right tail light is broken. Not only that the copper wire is severed and has also been disconnected from the back of the bulb. I am wondering if I cant just connect some more copper wire to each end to re-establish a connection.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: Tail light broken
Reply #1 - 03/23/09 at 14:22:38

back right?
turn signal?
depends where the break is.   can you solder? is the break more than just the wire(s) ?
may need to replace the socket that holds the bulb...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 03/23/09 at 15:13:52

I dislike those butt connectors, especially where vibration & moisture can get. If you busted the wire, didnt the turn signal get mangled? If you have the pieces & are careful, patient & a little talented, it will epoxy back together. Soldering is easy. Takes some practice, but the idea is simple. Those little 30 watt cheapo soldering tools can be very slow & troublesome. One of the larger Pistol shaped, dual temp units will last years & do the job nicely. Mine is 32 years old & going strong. Its a Weller. Get some paste flux, just a dab goes a long way. 60/40 resin core solder( darn stuff has gotten Expensive, but 4 ounces lasted me more than 10 years & I use it more than most folks, so just get a small amount. As for dropping the $$$ on a big weller, you may be ahead to go with a pencil trype soldering tool, just not the cheapest one out there.
To get the tip up to heat you can swipe it across a damp sponge, cooling it, which desreases the resistance ibn the coil, increasing current flow, creating a spike in temp shortly after. Make sure the tip is tight & threads are clean, because that really messes with temp in the tip if its screwed loosely in or the threads are corroded.
The big weller is quick to temp, will solder heavier things & these little [problems just arent there.But they are kinda costy. Maybe a lamp socket would help you get this done, as was mentioned .

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/23/09 at 17:08:44

Oops yeah the rear right turn signal. nah its just the rubber part that is broken. I have gorilla glue to fix that. The screw that hold in the housing rattled off last year lol. I put in a temporary screw that ended up cutting the two copper wires. Not only that, it separated one of the wires from in behind the housing. That for sure will need to be resottered. Adding copper wire to reconnect the two wires where they belong should work no prob. I am gonna work on that amongts others over wednesday and thursday. Hopefully go for a real ride this saturday.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 16:16:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tail light broken

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.