ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Fork brace
Reply #15 - 01/20/09 at 22:01:39

gerald.hughes wrote on 01/20/09 at 19:15:31:
I just put a TKat on my LS650, and I am very pleasantly surprised by how much it improves the handling.  The bike now corners like it is on rails.  It goes where you point it.

I was curious however, about the distinction between the S40 and the LS 650.  Does anyone know why this distinction is made?  I had assumed that the fork tubes would be the same.

Printers trying to save ink.

WWW   IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #16 - 01/22/09 at 11:06:43

drharveys - FSO wrote on 01/20/09 at 19:26:36:
gerald.hughes wrote on 01/20/09 at 19:15:31:
I was curious however, about the distinction between the S40 and the LS 650.  Does anyone know why this distinction is made?  I had assumed that the fork tubes would be the same.

Because Suzuki is branding all their cruisers as "Boulevard".  Now you have to look real close to see where it actually says "Suzuki" on the bike!

As for the S-40, all the other Boulevards are B-something, and they've switched from cc's to cubic inches in the numbers so as not to confuse crossover Harley guys, I guess.  So, we have a Single of 40 cu in, I suppose the twins have the B designation so you know it has "Both" cylinders!   Grin

Oh yeah, I have the Superbrace on mine -- major handling improvement.  Now upgrade the shocks (I have Hagons) and see how the rear wheel likes it!

I've seen designations of C50, C90, T50, T90, and so on; I'm guessing it stands for Cruiser, and Touring, judging by the accesories on them.  They also make an S50, and I think an S90.  I'd say it stands for Sport, (or Supercool! Cool), since the S50 is supposed to be quite the little hot rod judging by what the owners say.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #17 - 01/22/09 at 12:37:08

I guess that I wasn't very clear in my last posting.  When I purchased my fork brace from Tkat, I had to specify if it was for an LS650, or and S40.  That would lead me to believe that the fork braces for the two bikes were different.  I was wondering what the difference was between the LS650 and the S40 that necessitated a different brace.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 01/22/09 at 12:50:33

On the later S40's, there's a fork protector.
A little plastic plate in front of the fork seal to keep bugs from splattering on the tube and the parts getting sucked into the joint.  The shell and wings abraid the oil seal.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #19 - 01/22/09 at 13:15:14

That protector has to be cut off,At least on the Super Brace it does

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 01/22/09 at 13:47:58

Haven't looked at one with a protector, but if it doesn't extend beyond the dust boot (in diameter) I don't think the tkat will interfere with it.

WWW   IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #21 - 01/22/09 at 15:22:33

Since it is raining here today, I am not riding and can post the following pictures of the Tkat on my bike.

IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #22 - 01/22/09 at 17:28:07

I wrote to Tkat inquiring about the difference in fork braces for the two models. Looks like it doesn't matter. Here's the emails --

"Hope you don't mind but I posted the info you gave me over at the suzukisavage forum. I'm sure you'll be getting some sales from there as a lot of the folks are interested in installing a fork brace. A question, what is the difference in design between the s40 and ls650 brace? There is some discussion about it and I figured you could give us the answer. Thanks!"

His response:
"Absolutely none in my parts.  I don't know the bike so I had a local owner bring his by for sizing.  He got the Beta version and said there was no difference btwn the 2 models.

All I know is that I ship the same one for both bikes (are there 2 different ones?) & so far nobody's complained.

Thnx for the post to the Forum.  So far I've only received about 30 orders.  
Note:  In the 15+ yrs I've been mak'n them for the XS Yamis I've sold over 2000.

Tkat
*  Riding a motorcycle is 90 % mental, the other 1/2 is physical."

96 Bobber - Screamin Eagle, header wrap, K+N cone filter, jetted, straight bar w/1.5" risers, solo seat, Ed. L fwd ctrls, custom rear fender, TKat, Metallic charcoal and polished all over.
  IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #23 - 01/22/09 at 19:06:36

I wonder why he bothers to have you specify which bike you have if there is no difference?

IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #24 - 01/23/09 at 05:42:17

Who knows, probably just to make it feel more official or something..haha. Looks good Gerald, can't wait to install mine and feel the difference! I'll have to keep my eye out for you and Serowbot next time I'm in your hood  Smiley

96 Bobber - Screamin Eagle, header wrap, K+N cone filter, jetted, straight bar w/1.5" risers, solo seat, Ed. L fwd ctrls, custom rear fender, TKat, Metallic charcoal and polished all over.
  IP Logged
savagedml

Paid Alliance
Membership (07/09)

Portsmouth, VA
Reply #25 - 01/23/09 at 06:04:01

Gerald, I really like the extra clearance between the fender that your brace has. If I had known about the TKat a month ago, I would have saved myself $50. It looks great!  I still haven't ridden with my Superbrace yet and although today will be 57 degrees here, I'm still sidelined with pneumonia  Angry. Thanks for the pics.

Paid Alliance Membership (07/09)
"Let's roll!"
WWW funluvncareertech   IP Logged
WoodLark
YaBB Newbies

Earth is the insane
asylum of the
universe!

South Carolina, USA
Reply #26 - 01/23/09 at 10:17:22

I took a look at my S40 and compared it to gerald.hughes' pictures. The plastic protector goes around the fork tube in exactly the same spot as the tkat brace is located so I think it would have to come off. It might be possible to either modify the existing protector to fit over the tkat or to fabricate some sort of replacement.

IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #27 - 01/23/09 at 11:40:53

I'm sure Tkat would make the necessary mods to fit it with the fork protector if someone informed him. From the map it doesn't look like anyone is in his general area though

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #28 - 01/23/09 at 19:04:30

That looks great! I have to order mine sometime soon I guess. Smiley

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #29 - 01/23/09 at 19:21:47

SimonTuffGuy wrote on 01/23/09 at 19:04:30:
That looks great! I have to order mine sometime soon I guess. Smiley

You should have been on the Sept ride.  "Fido-the-Cat" had one on his..... I'm gong to get one, just have to talk the better Half and the son into spendig less money ....

Just to rub it in....
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1222094506/0

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:26:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fork brace

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.