Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Making sure and views (Read 282 times)
saluteTOme

Newark, DE
Making sure and views
02/23/09 at 18:34:34

Did a  couple things yesterday afternoon to my bike.

Did an Oil change w/ filter change. I could only find 20w50 in the store. I know the bike cap thing says 10w40. Is the oil I put in too thick? I deff noticed a difference in the clutch. (I took it for a quick spin. 38 degrees is toooooo cold for me to ride in) The clutch felt better. Hard to say how.  I know there a graph as to what oils weights you can use and what range in temps but I couldn't re-find it.

I also did the seat lift. I did 6mx50mm bolts. Home depot didn't have 60m. Frigging stores around here....But I did it and used white nylon spacers. I need to use electrical tape to hide the whiteness, but it feels a lot better just from the quick spin I did.

I also put on saddle bags. Not sure what brand. I bought them off  of clay for 45 shipped and besides needing some leather cleaner, they are in GOOD shape. Got them on and forced the rear seat on the bike and bolted down. Looks good. I just have to watch out how I dismount the bike. I already caught my foot on them twice.  They will add MUCH needed haul-a-bility.

I also checked the cam chain tensioner when I did the oil change. It looks good. It is still very straight on and looks like its working the way it should. I have 5.4k give or take on the bike. When should I start seeing this tensioner start to weaken? I am more then likely going to check every time I change the oil since it's easy enough to at least take a peak.

I'm also looking for a cone filter if you want to help me out Cheesy

I am also looking for the bolt hole specs on the exhaust support. I want to support my dyna muffler.

« Last Edit: 02/25/09 at 17:07:48 by saluteTOme »  
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Re: Making sure and views
Reply #1 - 02/23/09 at 19:31:11

Show us some pics of the bike with the bags.

IP Logged
saluteTOme

Newark, DE
Reply #2 - 02/23/09 at 19:39:36

diamond jim wrote on 02/23/09 at 19:31:11:
Show us some pics of the bike with the bags.  

gotta take some...give me like 2 weeks. haha. It's at my girlfriends grandparents and I am going away this weekend so I wont be able to get to it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 02/24/09 at 00:28:37

Did you leave your rectifier breathing room & some airflow across it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
saluteTOme

Newark, DE
Reply #4 - 02/24/09 at 05:38:48

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/24/09 at 00:28:37:
Did you leave your rectifier breathing room & some airflow across it?

the heat sink? Yea. The bags dont cover that at all. The bags go after that and before the "hook bar" for the rear seat. it MIGHT touch, but thats it.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 02/24/09 at 09:43:58

saluteTOme wrote on 02/23/09 at 18:34:34:
1. I could only find 20w50 in the store. I know the bike cap thing says 10w40...

2. When should I start seeing this tensioner start to weaken?
I am more then likely going to check every time I change the oil since it's easy enough to at least take a peak.

1. 38°F is a bit cold for 20-50 but ok.  I like 20-50 for summer.
2. if you measure from the housing where the plunger comes out to where it shoulders down, 19mm is where it's starts becoming critical.

« Last Edit: 02/24/09 at 11:14:37 by verslagen1 »  
WWW   IP Logged
saluteTOme

Newark, DE
Reply #6 - 02/24/09 at 19:09:02

next time I should measure. Thanks

ALSO any one know the specs to the bolt for the exhaust  brace thing? I have a dyna muffler and would like to help support it but I am not sure of the bolt specs.

IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #7 - 02/24/09 at 19:49:15

Did some one ask for the chart.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
saluteTOme

Newark, DE
Reply #8 - 02/24/09 at 19:59:58

*VERY NICE*

thanks

IP Logged
saluteTOme

Newark, DE
Reply #9 - 02/25/09 at 05:04:40

and being I am NOT riding in 38 degree weather....there is no way in hell I am riding below zero so I am good to go. I think I need to add just a TOUCH more of oil. last time the level was just slightly above the bottom hash mark.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #10 - 02/25/09 at 05:56:36

From whence cometh that viscosity chart? I ask because it does not correspond to the chart in the Owner's Manual.

"Suzuki recommends the use of SAE 10W-40 engine oil. If SAE 10W-40 engine oil is not available, select an alternative according to the following chart."

I have no convenient way to post the chart, so I'll summarize.
20W-50 from 14 F up.
15W-40 and 15W-50 from 5 F up.
10W-40 and 10W-50 from -4 F up.
10W-30 from -4 F to 86 F.
Nowhere on their chart is any oil lighter than 10W. No recommendation for 5W-anything or 0W-anything. It's your engine and you can run anything you like from 3-in-one oil to 140 gear oil but those are Suzuki's recommendations.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
saluteTOme

Newark, DE
Reply #11 - 02/25/09 at 17:04:17

i'm still in the safe zone....I do like a higher weight because it will be better come summer and all that lovely heat.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #12 - 02/25/09 at 19:05:49

Quote:
.... 20W-50 from 14 F up. .....

I rode at 30 F .....  for a charity ride.   Found a great use for the single big cylinder..... Hand warmer at the stop lights...... Brrrrrrrrr..... only for charity.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #13 - 02/25/09 at 22:42:29

If you still have the hardware from the stock exhaust, just take the one of the nuts with you to Lowes or Home Depot and find two 1" to 1.5" bolts that will fit it.  Dyna exhaust will just bolt on from there.  If you use a Harley clamp, you should only need one bolt.  When I had my Dyna canister on before the exhaust I'm running now, I only used one bolt in the exhaust bracket.  

Exhaust I'm running now - I like the sound a lot better - a whole lot louder - Thanks Lancer Smiley Smiley

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
saluteTOme

Newark, DE
Reply #14 - 02/26/09 at 06:09:21

those pics are HUGE.

but as for the exhaust. i have it on. Ive been riding with it. I just used a car C-exhaust clamp and it works great. But the stock bolts are on the stock muffler. I rather not drag the entire muffler in to match the bolts. Someone has to know the specs on it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:29:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Making sure and views

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.