Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Not sold on drag bars (Read 270 times)
I once had a mohawk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Not sold on drag bars
02/25/09 at 05:02:17

So I finished my swap from buckhorn bars to drag bars and I have to say I am not sold on them. My biggest problem I have is I can not see what is behind me with my stock mirrors. Is this normal? I am not sure if these drag bars are the stock suzuki bars or aftermarket. What is the length of the stock drag bars? I have all of my controls mounted as far down the bars as I can. HELP Shocked

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Re: Not sold on drag bars
Reply #1 - 02/25/09 at 06:37:22

The stock drag bar has 5" long steel plugs in each end of the bar, recessed about a 1/2" in.  Aftermarket drag bars are hollow on the ends.

Can you post a pic?  Can you measure from end to end and post the deets?

If you do have the stocker, then the steel plugs are perfect for mounting bar and mirrors.

IP Logged
spike

Love 2 Ride

Pa
Reply #2 - 02/25/09 at 06:40:22

Mines 27". They're stock and wish it would have came with the Buckhorn ones instead. I like the look of them better and they look more comfortable to me.

2K6 Silver Backfiring Front Brake Squealing S40 =8P Member #2147
driverspike bigspike1958   IP Logged
I once had a mohawk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 02/25/09 at 06:50:41

DJ - I guess mine are not stock because they are hollow. I will have to measure them when I get home.

Spike - I have a set of stock buckhorns that I took off of mine. PM me and lets see if we can work something out.

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #4 - 02/25/09 at 07:11:44

I am glad to see someone else likes the buckhorns.  That is what I have on my bike and I really like them.  I admit to not having tried the drag bars, so I really don't have anything to compare them too.  But I have read about folks whose hands go to sleep and hurt when they are riding, I have not experienced any of that.

I would like to ride some bikes with different bars, just to see what they feel like.  But for me now, I like what I have.

Mike

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
I once had a mohawk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 02/25/09 at 07:20:28

Quote:
I am glad to see someone else likes the buckhorns.  That is what I have on my bike and I really like them.  I admit to not having tried the drag bars, so I really don't have anything to compare them too.  But I have read about folks whose hands go to sleep and hurt when they are riding, I have not experienced any of that.

preachermike,

I rode for 30 min last night and I did not have a problem with my arms falling asleep. I have to say for me the riding position for me is a little more comfy, but to each his own. Preacher, are you a member of Bikers for Christ or CMA?

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #6 - 02/25/09 at 07:31:00

No Mohawk, I am not.  I have only had my bike for about 6 months and though I have looked around some for those connections, I haven't had alot of time to really look and just have not run across anything that jumped out at me.  I am interested in some of those things, though.  

A couple of the Christian Camps here in NC had some rides a couple of years ago, but I think the managers at the camps have changed and changed interests (they do not ride anymore) so the rides sort of got dropped.  

Are you in any of those groups?  Do you recommend one?  Where are you?

Mike

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #7 - 02/25/09 at 07:31:02

Some years ago while riding our old Sportsters, a friend and I switched bikes just for the heck of it. I had pullbacks, and he had drag bars. I have to admit, I had a tough time riding his bike through turns. I wanted off, and back on my own bike very soon after we took off.

I have a lot of respect for people riding the streets with drag bars, not an easy task for me. Wondering if they were actually created for "drag" racing where there are no turns involved.

FSO
  IP Logged
I once had a mohawk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 02/25/09 at 07:44:17

preachermike -  I live in central Georgia. No I am not currently a part of either of those groups either but I am considering Bikers for Christ (BFC). The reason is because it is a Motorcycle Ministry and not a Motorcycle Club. No offense to anyone reading this that might be in CMA but our local chapter is a club. The people involved in it are not interested in telling people about Jesus and what he can do for them using their motorcycle as a in. I have several friends that were in CMA and they were not happy with it because of that. BFC is set up very differently. It has no bi-laws. It has no positions with titles that can cause big egos. It is a ministry. You have to have a letter of recomindation from the pastor of your local church stating that they think you would be committed to doing it as a ministry to get in and then the ministry is to function as a minstry of your local church, including following your local church bi-laws. BFC focus is on serving Christ, CMA focus is on a Christian Motorcycle club. Sorry for the long answer. I guess the short answer is - for me BFC is what I am looking for, but just like my other comment on the bars, to each his own.

IP Logged
I once had a mohawk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 02/25/09 at 07:46:39

Photojoe - I noticed that you said you had pullbacks. Do you mean drag bars with pull back. If so that is what I am riding. My new bars are not straight across. But I do enjoy your comment about the drag bars and no turns. Grin

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 02/25/09 at 07:59:50

For what its worth - I hate the stock buckhorns in fact it may be the worst handlebar design ever I have encountered.
However on a savage for drag bars you need atleast 30 in wide, atleast 15 degree bends, atleast 4 inch rise and atleast 1 inch pull back in the riser.
I would trade a taller rise for a narrower bar in fact but if the rise/pullback isn't atleast 4in/1in it will be miserable.
I make handle bars for lots of bikes, GS500's, SV650's as well as swap out bars on several others with some mish mosh of parts, like GS500 stock bars work great on maxim 700's, Virago 750 risers and 750 bars work well on 1100 virago's, 89 clip on's off a GS500 work great on all 89-00 and on 01+ you need to banana the handle tubes etc etc etc.
I guess I have a very sensitive wrist and arm that sprains and injures easy, as evidenced by a current torn ligament in my right wrist ... but, the savage has been the hardest bike I ahve ever seen to fit a decent handle bar on ever, period.
4-6 inch rise, 1 inch pull back in the riser.
30-36 wide 15 degree end bends.
In fact I'd make them if I can ever buy/figure/get/make the bits I need to get the darn thing put together 1/2 decent.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #11 - 02/25/09 at 08:02:40

I once had a mohawk wrote on 02/25/09 at 07:46:39:
Photojoe - I noticed that you said you had pullbacks. Do you mean drag bars with pull back. If so that is what I am riding. My new bars are not straight across. But I do enjoy your comment about the drag bars and no turns. Grin

Buckhorns.

FSO
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 02/25/09 at 09:24:33

photojoe FSO wrote on 02/25/09 at 07:31:02:
I have a lot of respect for people riding the streets with drag bars, not an easy task for me. Wondering if they were actually created for "drag" racing where there are no turns involved.

Keep in mind that race bikes have clip-ons.... and they turn,... a lot.
Shorter bars take a bit more leverage to turn, but are more stable at high speed, where wind buffeting can cause arms to be tugged around.  I especially notice better stability with drags, when the big rigs are around.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #13 - 02/25/09 at 10:19:46

Drag bars were invented for 2 reasons.
1. They were extremely thin wall and straight - no bends cos they well, were too thin to bend ghetto style without crumpling.
2. At the speeds and accelerations at which it feels like you've lashed yourself to a freight train, any twist in your wrist with your body weight pushed back with the G forces will end up mangling your wrist into jello.
Do not ask me how I know.

Ideally for insane acceleration and to not mangle up yopur hands, your wrists will have to be at the width of your shoulders and your elbows are locked and your arms are perfectly horizontal.

Ergo, striaght across bar at shoulder height.
Of course you will never be able to turn that darn thing cos all your joints are out of movement.

We will have to have some elbow angle, a small wrist angle and of course we'd never pull 4G on acceleration or even, .2 G so we dont need to be locked into that position.

But ~shoulder wide+3-6 in, 3-5 inches below your shoulder 15 degrees ends is about close.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #14 - 02/25/09 at 10:40:59

srinath wrote on 02/25/09 at 10:19:46:
Drag bars were invented for 2 reasons.
1. They were extremely thin wall and straight - no bends cos they well, were too thin to bend ghetto style without crumpling.
2. At the speeds and accelerations at which it feels like you've lashed yourself to a freight train, any twist in your wrist with your body weight pushed back with the G forces will end up mangling your wrist into jello.
Do not ask me how I know.

Ideally for insane acceleration and to not mangle up yopur hands, your wrists will have to be at the width of your shoulders and your elbows are locked and your arms are perfectly horizontal.

Ergo, striaght across bar at shoulder height.
Of course you will never be able to turn that darn thing cos all your joints are out of movement.

We will have to have some elbow angle, a small wrist angle and of course we'd never pull 4G on acceleration or even, .2 G so we dont need to be locked into that position.

But ~shoulder wide+3-6 in, 3-5 inches below your shoulder 15 degrees ends is about close.
Cool.
Srinath.

Aside from keeping my wrists straight and being a little wide, my bars are pretty much exactly what you described.  Grin

And they look badass  Cool

Wind's a little bit more noticeable, but not too much unless Im wearing something big.

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:22:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Not sold on drag bars

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.