Send Topic Print
air/fuel mix (Read 215 times)
wrd17
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

air/fuel mix
10/29/08 at 11:47:42

My bike is running very rough, it takes almost full throttle to get it started, dies when I idle down and lags when given gas.  If a bike is running rough in this manner can anyone tell me if it is running to lean or too rich.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: air/fuel mix
Reply #1 - 10/29/08 at 11:54:52

Try some SEAFOAM in the gas see if that don't help,Auto stores and WAlmart carry it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
wrd17
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/29/08 at 11:56:09

ill try that.  ive run a few tanks of gas through it though and the problem persists.

IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #3 - 10/29/08 at 15:23:30

What year is your bike and how many miles are on it? How long since you checked the air filter and spark plug? Have you removed the brass plug on the idle mixture screw? Did the problem develop suddenly or has it been getting worse over time?

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #4 - 10/29/08 at 15:56:32

You can waste your money on SeaFoam, or any other additive, if you think it will make you feel better. But it won't make your bike run better. It won't clean your carb, it won't clean your spark plug or your air filter, and it won't improve your love life. You are going to actually have to find and fix the problem instead of attacking it with a magical snake oil.

For a start, remove the fuel line either from the petcock or the carburetor. The fuel line is the larger of the two lines. With the fuel valve in ON or REServe, fuel should not flow. With it in PRIme, fuel should flow (be ready to catch it). Put the petcock back in ON or REServe. Remove the vacuum line. This should be dry inside. Apply vacuum to the petcock. Fuel should flow. Remove the vacuum, flow should stop. If the fuel flow is correct, reattach the lines and move to the carburetor. If it isn't, your problem is the petcock or screen.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
wrd17
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/29/08 at 16:25:12

The bike is an '01 with about 12,000 miles on it. I replaced the spark plug about 3 weeks ago when I had the bike apart to paint.  Also had to take the tank off and the petcock seems to be functioning properly.  Doesn't send fuel in the on or reserve position but does in prime.  The air filter has also been cleaned fairly recently.  I have not tried the vacuum line but I will check that.

IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #6 - 10/29/08 at 17:13:59

Charon wrote on 10/29/08 at 15:56:32:
You can waste your money on SeaFoam, or any other additive, if you think it will make you feel better. But it won't make your bike run better. It won't clean your carb, it won't clean your spark plug or your air filter, and it won't improve your love life. You are going to actually have to find and fix the problem instead of attacking it with a magical snake oil.

Do you have something to back this up or is it just your opinion?

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 10/29/08 at 19:24:34

Charon wrote on 10/29/08 at 15:56:32:
and it won't improve your love life.

It won't?????  I want my money back!!!

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 10/29/08 at 20:07:47

charon when did you use SEAFOAM last,just wondering,Last time I seen it work was 4 days ago ,cleaned up a 4 wheelers carb,the 4 wheeler was bogging,cleared it right up in fifteen minutes,You can also put it in the crankcase,cleans up the valves,try it you'll like it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
wrd17
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 10/29/08 at 20:44:47

so i checked all lines around the petcock and everything seems to be functioning properly. any more suggestions?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #10 - 10/29/08 at 21:53:44

Did you check the vac line that runs from the starboard side of the carb to the back of petc0ck - it should not have any gas in it at all

IP Logged
wrd17
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 10/29/08 at 22:12:52

i did check this line and there was not any gas in it.  i turned the petcock to prime also and no gas in the line.  whats my next step?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #12 - 10/29/08 at 22:19:01

Given the description, if it were me I'd pull the diaphram/slide out of the carb,check it for holes and clean it - sure doesn't take much dirt, oil or what have you to make it sticky - it has to slide free.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #13 - 10/29/08 at 22:28:16

wrd17 wrote on 10/29/08 at 16:25:12:
The bike is an '01 with about 12,000 miles on it. I replaced the spark plug about 3 weeks ago when I had the bike apart to paint.  Also had to take the tank off and the petcock seems to be functioning properly.  Doesn't send fuel in the on or reserve position but does in prime.  The air filter has also been cleaned fairly recently.  I have not tried the vacuum line but I will check that.

you know some about this sounds odd - the almost full throttle to get it to start seems odd

how far apart does taken apart mean?

IP Logged
dr1445

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 10/30/08 at 03:16:03

i would clean up the idle circuit jets and midrange jets since the high speed range seems operational. if it is the low speed side of the carb you might want to consider an inline filter. if you are going to use carb cleaner do not use it near orings. some might cry foul but i use kerosene and wd40 as a solvents to clean carbs. there more friendly to modern rubber materials.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/09/24 at 19:06:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › air/fuel mix

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.