Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Neutral light failure. (Read 79 times)
PipJones

Fort Worth, Tx
Neutral light failure.
10/28/08 at 13:30:57

I think my neutral sensor in my trans may have died while i was riding the other day, all electrical components test good. Is there a gasket that i will need to put the trans casing back together with? or is it a silicon seal?

I'm sure I will figure all this out when i rip into it later, however if anyone has any words of wisdome... My ears are wide open.

Pip Jones

Gargle, sputter, burp and die!!! The ways of my LS650!!!!!
  IP Logged
PipJones

Fort Worth, Tx
Re: Neutral light failure.
Reply #1 - 10/28/08 at 15:05:28

For all those who acutally car, it was an easy fix. saughter the wire back in place, replace paper gasket. fill with oil.

AND my neautral light works again! woot!!!!

Pip Jones

IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Reply #2 - 10/28/08 at 15:12:42

Did I just hear a woot?

"You are the choices you make in life..... I choose to Play Hard.... Ride Hard.... or Die Hard!"
Chopped BullChopped   IP Logged
PipJones

Fort Worth, Tx
Reply #3 - 10/28/08 at 16:05:41

yup!!!!

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 10/28/08 at 19:02:35

Aaaaaa ..... are you saying if failed (broke) inside the engine?  Huh

If so,  I think you should look at how the wire is routed outside of the engine.  
Why???  The inside part in the engine doesn't move.  Maybe vibration, but there isn't much wire lenght in there so not much wire weight to move.  But, if the wire oustide was moving around, that could lead to it getting pulled off the plastic thing in the engine.....
maybe....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 10/28/08 at 19:12:52

Glad you were able to fix it with little trouble.  I would be a little curious as to why it came apart inside the engine as well.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
PipJones

Fort Worth, Tx
Reply #6 - 10/29/08 at 05:11:47

i'm not sure, but i have my doubts that i am the first one to tear into this bike, with the missing air filter, wiring being taped in very very odd places, electrical tape around single wires.

my guess is someone else was fiddling around with the bike and had absolutly no idea what it was that they were doing.

Anyhow, i added more slack into the sensor housing and re-zip-tied it, and i will be attatching the wire to the frame quite a bit sooner than it was last time.

Pip Jones

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 10/29/08 at 08:29:09

Heat shrink tubing is cheap enough at Harbor Freight. Soldering wires & heat shrink tubing is the way to go. Some places Shrink just wont fit & tape wont wrap around either. Thats where "Liquid Electrical Tape" comes in. Not cheap but REally good to have around.

Soldering is easy, but like everything else, its just kinda odd the first few times. Get a wire stripper, I just have the one that has different sized notches in the handle & crimps connectors at the front end. The little squeeze grip, auto gauge select, things go bad & get weird, so I stick with the simple style. Simple stuff really. Cleanliness matters, neatness helps.
Anyone wanting soldering tips, gimme a holler, start a thread on it. Thers lots here who have years O experience at it. The Air Force taught me. Something they didnt teach us was how to set up to solder a wire & make it smooth & go straight. Strip & clean & twist the wire ends, cross them & wrap the ends in opposite directions, toward the other wire to be connected to. As opposed to just twisting the ends & having 2 wires, side by side, with the ends wrapped tightly, these will be in a straight line & can have heat shrink applied & it will be a very neat installation. Its good to have 2 pair of needlenose to tighten up the wraps. Apply some flux, apply heat & dab a spot O solder in it, let it cool, slip the shrink tubing up & warm it up & Duuude! YOu got yerself a good fix. I have a solder gun from weller, about 30 years old & then the little 30ish watt soldering iron & stand with a sponge( to clean & "Shock" the tip. By cooling it, its supposed to have a heat surge & come back in a minute or so, hotter than before the wipe across the damp sponge.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 21:18:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Neutral light failure.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.