Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
how to replace spark plug? (Read 399 times)
saintlouissavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

how to replace spark plug?
10/28/08 at 08:05:17

My bike has been stalling at idle lately and I think it is either the air filter or maybe a fouled spark plug.  I know how to replace the air filter, but can anyone give me a quick run-down on the easiest way to replace the plug?  Thanks in advance!

ps-I searched the forum for a "how-to" post already.  Did I miss it?

IP Logged
Chong Kim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SantaFe, NM
Re: how to replace spark plug?
Reply #1 - 10/28/08 at 09:37:16

I just changed mine. I didn't have to remove the tank, but I did have to lift it a bit and then prop it up with a spare screwdriver.

Remove the seat, lift the tank at the rear, remove the left chrome cover at the top of your cylinder head. The front bolt (10mm) is secured by a nut, but you'll only have to loosen that one and then rotate the cover forward and out of the way. You can also just go ahead and remove it if you wish. I believe I remember these are all 10mm bolts, by the way. Maybe a 12 in there but you'll soon find out. You'll see the spark plug wire leading to the plug. Just stick the socket onto the plug and rotate it out, using a screwdriver tip in the holes of the socket (lefty loosey).  When you reinstall the plug take care to start it with your fingers holding the socket so you don't crossthread it. I was having hard-start issues with mine until I swapped the plug. Now it's back to running like new.

Edited to add: Don't forget to disconnect the fuel line and plug it before you lift the tank!!! And REALLY don't forget to hook it back up. Don't ask how I learned that one!

So easy a cave man can do it -- or a girl!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 10/28/08 at 09:40:12

On the stock bike, it's a booger.  You take off the seat, (2 bolts at the rear underneath), take off the tank (2 bolts at rear of tank under front of seat), disconnect fuel line to tank, speedo cable from engine case (don't loose little o-ring) and wires to speedo (under tank), remove tank.  Then unbolt that #&$%ing! chrome cover on the left side of the engine.  Then you can pull the plug.
I took both chrome top engine covers off and left them off.  Looks better to me anyway, and then you can pull the plug without pulling the tank and seat.

EDIT...All that typing and some newbie girl (Chong Kim) beat to the post!
Just kidding!  Great tip, girl!  
Never thought of just propping the tank up instead of removing it.
Happy trails...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 10/28/08 at 22:59:58

I use the airhose & blow out the plug recess before I pull it. One time it was loaded with gritty crap & stuff went in the cylinder. I spent more than an hour with a piece of plastic & a dob O grease grabbing stuff out of the cylinder.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bugsville

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gainesville, FL
Reply #4 - 10/29/08 at 03:23:58

I've found that after I did it a couple times, removing and replacing the tank isn't that bad of a job (on my '98 at least) - The most difficulty I had was replacing the speedo cable underneath the tank, so I just started removing it from the other end, leaving it attached to the tank when I take it off.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 10/29/08 at 08:31:55

Popping the tank off is not that hard, just a needless hassle. Doing the Sparkplug Door mod is simple & if someone has never messed around with things much, a great way to start.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 17:02:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › how to replace spark plug?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.