Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Wife's bike is bucking
Reply #15 - 10/16/08 at 17:09:15

Moofed wrote on 10/16/08 at 11:53:54:
Pilot Mixture Screw?

welldontIfeelsillynow!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #16 - 10/16/08 at 18:40:01

Charon wrote on 10/16/08 at 16:38:40:
You have just demonstrated that SeaFoam will not clean a carburetor. You had to do it yourself. You may also want to look into the gas tank and see if there is more crud in there - after all, the crud in the carburetor had to come from somewhere. Some of it could have been locally generated in the carb, but probably not all of it. An in-line fuel filter may not be amiss.

Does it prove seafoam does not work, or does it prove that the PO did not use seafoam. I do not think anyone is saying seafoam with clean everything.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
DennisG
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carrollton, GA
Reply #17 - 10/16/08 at 18:47:14

I think the Seafoam worked and got the bike home.  It took about 6 miles just to get to 50 miles per hour.  I was seriously looking for alternate routes that didn't take me on the interstate.  After I got to 50 mph, it took another 20 minutes or so to get up to 70.  After that it ran like crazy.  I think the seafoam worked but the damage was worse than I thought.  I will be looking into the tank and maybe trying the fuel filter in the near future (or should I say, she will!).

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #18 - 10/16/08 at 19:22:10

I think the seafoam loosened the gunk up a few more day and it would run alright,you don't take a car carb  a part why would you take a motorcycle carb apart,I had a motorcycle for over 20 years driven 5 miles a year the carb never was taken apart,other than changing low and high speed jets when new.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
dropoutjohn
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 10/16/08 at 21:31:48

Charon wrote on 10/16/08 at 16:38:40:
You have just demonstrated that SeaFoam will not clean a carburetor. You had to do it yourself. You may also want to look into the gas tank and see if there is more crud in there - after all, the crud in the carburetor had to come from somewhere. Some of it could have been locally generated in the carb, but probably not all of it. An in-line fuel filter may not be amiss.

i have used sea foam twice and i have been stuck on the side of the road twice with flakes of crud from the float bowl clogging the works. no way that stuff got through the fuel filter. we have 10% ethanol fuel here and it rots everything... including itself! congrats on the successful surgery.

IP Logged
dropoutjohn
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 10/16/08 at 21:34:32

bill67 wrote on 10/16/08 at 19:22:10:
I think the seafoam loosened the gunk up a few more day and it would run alright,you don't take a car carb  a part why would you take a motorcycle carb apart,I had a motorcycle for over 20 years driven 5 miles a year the carb never was taken apart,other than changing low and high speed jets when new.

what bike was that bill?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 10/16/08 at 22:56:54

bills first bike

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 10/17/08 at 02:13:59

That was a HOOT!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #23 - 10/17/08 at 03:37:45

The bike was a Suzuki GR 650 1983,It sat in a barn for over 20 years,driven 5 miles a year.Do you take the carb off your lawn mower to clean,I've had generators that were 20 years old never had carb off,power cement finishers, bobcats,all kinds of gasoline motors.The one honda generator wouldn't' start if it was low on oil,nice safety feature,Why don't cars and motorcycles have that.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
dropoutjohn
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 10/17/08 at 13:26:29

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/17/08 at 02:13:59:
That was a HOOT!

+1

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #25 - 10/17/08 at 13:42:18

My first bike was a 1971 yamaha RD200

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
dropoutjohn
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 10/17/08 at 13:42:26

sorry if you took offense, i was only curious as to what bike is was that is so reliable.of course it, and all your other gear, was probably stored properly.

we see a lot of improperly stored whirly-birds and mowers and wackers big and small and in my shop... the carb is just easier to get clean if it's off the machine and in the dump tank. but hey, thats just my opinion.

"Why don't cars and motorcycles have that?" good question... i have been asking small engine folks that question for a while now and nobody knows. i wish a few cars i have owned in the past had one Wink

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #27 - 10/17/08 at 13:58:44

I've also had 9 difference snowmobiles,I have changed the jet needles clips many times at 10 degrees  in a foot of snow,so I do know about taking carbs apart,and how they work

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #28 - 10/17/08 at 15:43:35

I have already looked up - and posted on this forum - the ingredients of SeaFoam. It consists of approximately one-half Pale Oil (highly refined 20 weight oil); approximately one-third naptha (lighter fluid); and one-sixth isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol). That's it. Pray tell, which of these ingredients will clean a carburetor or a fuel tank, especially diluted two ounces to about 300 ounces of gasoline (a full Savage tank)? One ounce of 20 weight oil in 300 ounces of gas? Two-thirds of an ounce of naptha (itself not much different from gas) in 300 ounces of gas? Or one-third of an ounce of isopropyl alcohol in 300 ounces of gas? A number of folks have griped about 10% ethanol - which would be about 30 ounces of ethanol (a quart) in 300 ounces of fuel - but the tiny amount of alcohol in SeaFoam is wonderful. Like all gas additives (possibly but not certainly excluding Sta-Bil) it is worthless. If you see any effect from its use, it is the Placebo Effect writ large.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #29 - 10/17/08 at 15:47:39

Charon if I was you I wouldn't use seafoam,But I know a lot of people who use it and like it.Could you tell me whats in Sta-bil

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 15:31:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Wife's bike is bucking

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.