Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
lowering a savage w/ air shocks (Read 117 times)
grayboy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Central GA
lowering a savage w/ air shocks
10/14/08 at 18:51:34

I saw these shocks on a site that I bought a lowering kit for my truck awhile back and was wondering if these could be made to fit my savage. The range on the shocks are 10"-13" but I am not sure what the length of the stock springs a savage is. They are really made to fit on a Harley but I think you could make it work as long as the eye isnt smaller than the savage. I also saw some brackets that fit a sportster that moved position of the top eyelet up to lower the bike a/b 1 1/2". These shocks might come in handy if somebody wanted a clean way to raise their bike too. http://airbagit.com/product_info.php?cPath=104_105&products_id=1764

IP Logged
dropoutjohn
Ex Member

Re:  lowering a savage w/ air shocks
Reply #1 - 10/16/08 at 10:52:09

this sounds like a fun project but the reality of all the wiring and compressor mounting and the lot it turns me off. stock harley shock length is 11" or 11.5" usually and savage is 10" i think, so it's probably too tall anyway. i would much rather just snip the springs for a cleaner look. but hey, thats just my .02. i'd love to see someone else do it...

but the brackets you mentioned turned a screw in my head... one of the members here makes forward control brackets... can you guess where i'm going with this?

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #2 - 10/17/08 at 18:06:08

And then there's the little problem of the different size shock mount bushings. Suzuki and Harley have different sizes. Take it from someone who's been there, it can be done with a hammer and wire cutters while sitting in a puddle of WD-40, but changing them without a press of some kind ain't fun.

That being said, there's no better way to get a little extra tire/fender clearance than going from our stock 10" shocks to 11 1/2" Harley shocks on the back end. With the dark side tire on there I still get to haul a ton of camping gear. Or a chubbier than me date if there is such a thing.

In fact, I suggest that if you want a lower bike just haul heavier friends with you. The road is closer and you have company. Anybody buying this line of thinking?

Jack

IP Logged
dropoutjohn
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/17/08 at 18:28:27

Fat bottomed girls you make the rockin' world go round! Shocked

but seriously folks, i liked how that kid in brazil(?) moved the upper shock mounts forward and down for lowering. i wonder can a bracket be fabed for this? (instead of chopping and welding.)

IP Logged
grayboy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Central GA
Reply #4 - 10/17/08 at 18:44:00

This is the bracket that they use on the sportster, if you couldn't use this one it wouldn't be very hard to make something simular for a savage. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HARLEY-2005-2008-Sportster-Lowering-kit_W0QQit...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 11:29:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › lowering a savage w/ air shocks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.