Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What kind of Harley muffler will Fit (Read 97 times)
savagespence

NEEEWBIE!!

Nashville,TN
What kind of Harley muffler will Fit
10/14/08 at 20:05:49

Im trying to find out what kind of Harley muffler I need to get for my Savage. I've seen various years from the Dyna models but dont know what will work and will not work. Also are there any other models recommended? I'm looking for a cheap decent sounding muffler to slip on. Thanks for the info...
SH

1996 Savage no mods YET..
savagespence   IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Re: What kind of Harley muffler will Fit
Reply #1 - 10/14/08 at 20:59:02

Try searching the site for the info on the Harley Dyna conversion.  Pics, model and part numbers were supplied.  One HD muffler bolts right up with no alteration, although you must use a Harley clamp.  This subject was discussed at great length.

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/15/08 at 08:57:19

I installed one from Cruiser. There was significant welding involved.
Guys here say sportster or Dyna
search the forum, lots of info

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 10/15/08 at 13:56:38

It needs to be what is called a 1 3/4 inch pipe.    That size can be made to fit, but .... the Dyna's are easiest because of 1) muffler has a welded on bracket that lines up fairly nicely, 2) On the Dyna's , the cross-over pipe to balance the system in on the header pipe, where on a few sportster models it was it on the muffler.

It should be noted that the OEM take-off sort of shoot the exhaust by the rear brake linkage and can cause soot to deposit.  Can look meesy.... unless you are going for the Rat look.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
savagespence

NEEEWBIE!!

Nashville,TN
Reply #4 - 10/15/08 at 14:35:12

Thanks for the info for some reason my searching on my end is VERY slow. I'll keep looking..
SH

1996 Savage no mods YET..
savagespence   IP Logged
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Reply #5 - 10/18/08 at 14:14:04

I used a dyna muffler. I had it installed with just a 1 3/4"x 1 3/4" adapter from the 'Zone. Had a hard time keeping it sealed even with the Harley muffler clamps. Have put a bind on the connections to line everything up. Finally had it welded up with about 4" piece of 1 3/4" pipe at a muffler shop. With just a kink (by the tech section 6-7 degree bend) in the pipe you won't stress the header end and you will miss the rear brake with exhaust. Best thing with the dyna besides the cross-over (or lack of it) is it has the same type of rear mounting. I could only get one on due to the length but it has been appx 3000 miles with no problem.  Best $30 dollars I have spent on Suzi.

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 15:27:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What kind of Harley muffler will Fit

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.