Wife's bike is bucking (Read 327 times)
DennisG
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carrollton, GA
Wife's bike is bucking
10/15/08 at 17:43:46

My wife bought a used 2006 S40 with about 4500 miles on it.  I pored a couple of gallons of gas and 4 oz of Seafoam and rode it home about 125 miles.  Runs great at after I got the throttle about half way open.  Less than half open and it bucks and bounces.  Tried tuning the PMS and it is now set at 2 3/4.  Getting ready to do the Clymer Manual Tune-up.  

Any other things I should try?  Do I need to rejet?  I believe the machine is stock.

WWW   IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Re: Wife's bike is bucking
Reply #1 - 10/15/08 at 17:53:35

First suggestion white spacer mod.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
MichaelK
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/15/08 at 18:48:20

Get an aftermarket air filter (K&N) that gives improved air flow.  It sounds to me that it is choking.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 10/15/08 at 20:03:09

could be the air filter
but i'd clean the carb before you try anything after the filter.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 10/15/08 at 20:17:10

Put a richer high and low speed jet one up from stock

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #5 - 10/15/08 at 20:29:30

Before leaping into carb tuning/mods ..you say it is bucking with throttle less than half open.  How about when idling? I'm kinda thinking sticky needle but am curious about neutral and idling.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 10/15/08 at 22:39:01

Tried tuning the PMS

Brave man, but fighting an uphill battle.Bucking & PMS are inseparable. There may be no mechanical answer. Do you know a Priest?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DennisG
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carrollton, GA
Reply #7 - 10/16/08 at 05:28:27

Put a richer high and low speed jet one up from stock -- Should that be necessary if the Exhaust and Intake are stock?

How about when idling? -- Not a problem at the idle.  I may have it set a little high (runs about 7 mph at the ilde in 1st).  

Thanks all, I am off to get dirty.  I am going to pull out the white spacer also.  I'll let you know something when I get everything put back together Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 10/16/08 at 06:40:45

the s40 comes lean I would rejet but leave the white spacer in you will hurt your gas mileage if you take it out

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #9 - 10/16/08 at 07:56:53

Before I would do a lot of mods, I'd figure out what is wrong. Run a tank or two of fresh fuel with seafoam (or whatever) to see if you can flush out the problem. Was the MC sitting for a while? Did you start with fresh fuel? Did you drain the old fuel? If so, was it clean - any signs of rust? If things are seriously gummed/plugged up, you may have to clean the carbs. I would get it working correctly before I made a bunch of changes (mods) that will just complicate the issue. Bucking and bouncing as you describe up to half throttle isn't standard issue with the Savage, so either someone else has already made modifications that were wrong, or something is "wrong" that is fixable without making modifications.

IP Logged
dropoutjohn
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 10/16/08 at 10:38:38

so if the bike belongs to your wife, why are we talking to you? she'll never learn anything this way... in my opinion, your wife should change the oil and spark plug, clean the carb, drain the gas if there is any left from when you picked it up and don't worry about then seafoam anymore because if you use too much it hurts more than helps. when done, check see if the choke is still stuck.  Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 10/16/08 at 11:18:21

Trippah wrote on 10/15/08 at 20:29:30:
Before leaping into carb tuning/mods ..you say it is bucking with throttle less than half open.  How about when idling? I'm kinda thinking sticky needle but am curious about neutral and idling.

I didnt mean to make light of your troubles, I just didnt know the answer to Bucking & I really dont know what you meant by PMS. No one else has asked, so I guess I am overlooking something simple.
But, since bucking isnt part of the norm for these bikes, I would suggest finding & solving that before adding any variables into, like mods to the carb. Sometimes a simple mod can leave a little gremlin to find & the more changes made at one time, the more complicated it can be. There are some real carb knowledgeable folks here who can listen to the problem & if it occurs at a certain RPM range, they will know what circuit in the carb needs checked.
I hope your wife reads the responses that address the problem & learns a bit, so you can work together & learn & have fun.

I know Ill be following this thread, because this type of problem can be tricky to find.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Moofed
Alliance Member

...and the engine
just gleams...

Bloomington, Indiana
Reply #12 - 10/16/08 at 11:53:54

Pilot Mixture Screw?

WWW Moofed MoofedOne   IP Logged
DennisG
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carrollton, GA
Reply #13 - 10/16/08 at 14:07:42

Thanks everyone.  The carb was a mess.  A lot of crud!  Cleaned it out and did the white spacer mod.  Yes, I know that I shouldn't have done the mod until I got the bike running better but the carb was so dirty I assumed it was the cause of the problem and went ahead with the mod.

Bottom line, The bike is back to being a good little pony as my wife calls it, and if needed, it will take off like satan is after it.  We are happy.

what you meant by PMS -- someone else answered and called it a Pilot Mixture Screw, I knew it by the name of Primary Mixture Screw.  Samething as fas as I can figure.

so if the bike belongs to your wife -- It is her first bike in 30 years and a little nervous with this one.  The next oil change is hers and that is the way she wants it Grin

Once again, thanks for being so nice to the new guy.  I have done my own work on my V-Star for the last 15 months.  I have gotten real comfortable with working on it and hope to get her the same way with her bike soon.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #14 - 10/16/08 at 16:38:40

You have just demonstrated that SeaFoam will not clean a carburetor. You had to do it yourself. You may also want to look into the gas tank and see if there is more crud in there - after all, the crud in the carburetor had to come from somewhere. Some of it could have been locally generated in the carb, but probably not all of it. An in-line fuel filter may not be amiss.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 15:24:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Wife's bike is bucking

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.