Send Topic Print
Car tire for the back (Read 1614 times)
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Car tire for the back
08/18/08 at 14:21:49

Okay, I guess this is for "oldfeller" as he's the one I remember who is/has run car tires on his bikes.

I'm needing a new rear tire and am liking the idea of a 30k or so tire life. What I'm wondering is is how is the road grip in the turns and for braking. Granted most of my miles are highway miles with a lot of interstate thrown in, but there's still a lot of country and farm roads around where I live here in MN that are fun to run.

I know my back tire is getting down there when it starts to feel skittish in the turns, which I assume is because the tread face is starting to flatten out. Am I to expect that same "feel" when using a car tire that starts out with a flatter tread face than we get on a "real" bike doughnut?

Oh yeah, can we still run the appropriate sized bike tube in there? Or do we go with a car tube?

I want to run at least one moderately long run before this year's over so the sooner I get a new gripper on the back there, the better.

Jack

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Re: Car tire for the back
Reply #1 - 08/18/08 at 15:45:25

Jack_650 wrote on 08/18/08 at 14:21:49:
Okay, I guess this is for "oldfeller" as he's the one I remember who is/has run car tires on his bikes.

I'm needing a new rear tire and am liking the idea of a 30k or so tire life. What I'm wondering is is how is the road grip in the turns and for braking. Granted most of my miles are highway miles with a lot of interstate thrown in, but there's still a lot of country and farm roads around where I live here in MN that are fun to run.

I know my back tire is getting down there when it starts to feel skittish in the turns, which I assume is because the tread face is starting to flatten out. Am I to expect that same "feel" when using a car tire that starts out with a flatter tread face than we get on a "real" bike doughnut?

Oh yeah, can we still run the appropriate sized bike tube in there? Or do we go with a car tube?

I want to run at least one moderately long run before this year's over so the sooner I get a new gripper on the back there, the better.

Jack

Notice the treads going up the sidewalls of your bike tire.  When you bank, this side tread gives you important grip on the road....thats why its there.  A car tire does not have this feature and therefore does not have the same grip on the road if asked to bank on a motorcycle.  Is the extra mileage worth the reduction in stability?  Suzuki doesn't think so, which is why they didn't fit car type treads on their product.

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #2 - 08/18/08 at 17:00:52

Of course Suzuki also be the folks who put those IRC things on our bikes at the factory. And the expensive, wear quick timing chains. Oh yeah, and that wonderful seat we all love to sit on - for thirty minutes.

It's just that I've read several different things about car tires on bikes, and there are some pretty sticky tires out there. That's why I'm asking them that's done it before I give it a try.

Jack

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 08/18/08 at 17:03:31

Car tires are flat on bottom motorcycle tires are round so they lean over easy

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #4 - 08/18/08 at 17:45:49

Search for "the dark side" in online motorcycle topics for more pro and cons of this. Us sidecar folks use them because we don't lean anymore, but with some caveats, one the rim really is not shaped correctly for a car tire. I had to use 80 PSi and lots of tire lube stuff to get the bead to seat and I'm sure breaking it when the time comes will be an adventure. You will also have to decide what vehicle uses the tire you want to buy it in most cases as the tire store don't want a liability lawsuit for selling you a tire that may be involved in an accident and even hinted at being the cause.  Many heavy cruiser folks have switched and are happy, but I don't think the sport touring crowd is interested. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
ratdog472

The Savages are
restless...

Springfield, MO
Reply #5 - 08/18/08 at 18:30:43

ozark_bassist_1973   IP Logged
Brad_THMP3R

Fighting for Iraqs
Freedom

Hampton Roads, Va
Reply #6 - 08/18/08 at 19:39:50

Hey Gort... not to bash but man, you don't have to quote what someone says every time you reply. If it's in the same thread, we all kinda know what you're responding to. Just to save you some time. Wink

Jardine slashcut - oldfeller filter - 52 pilot, 152 main - no spacer - ngk iridium plug - olive drab paint - no head covers - respect brotha! I'll eat you!
WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 08/18/08 at 19:51:16

DO NOT PUT A CAR TIRE ON A BIKE RIM.  IT IS TOO DANGEROUS.

============================================

barry68v10 PUT A TA 155/80r15 ON THE BACK OF HIS BIKE, DROVE IT A COUPLE OF MILES TO A SERVICE STATION AND BLEW IT UP (that's exploded it for you who haven't heard yet) AT 175 PSI TRYING TO GET THE BEAD TO SEAT.  HE HAD SPRAYED TRUCK BED LINER ON HIS SPOKES TO SEAL THEM AND GOT SOME ON THE BEAD AREA.

HE DID DAMAGE TO HIS HEARING AND SHREDDED HIS SEAT BAGS.

DO NOT TRY THIS MOD.

IT IS FORMALLY UNAPPROVED FOR LIST MEMBERS TO DO.

I FORMALLY RECANT THIS MOD AS IT IS TOO DANGEROUS TO YOU AND YOUR EARS AND YOUR HANDS AND YOUR EYES (AND TO YOUR SEAT BAGS).

(signed)

Oldfeller

========================

Well now, another discussion on flat tires on round turning bikes.  

You have positions already set out, Bill & Gort taking the "it ain't gonna work" required position with the others taking more moderate stances in the face of mounting evidence.

Here are the facts -- on the last mountain trip I rode my bike with the car tire on it.  I let the other riders ride my bike (and they all did) so they could see what it was like.  They can chime in if they want to.

I went around mountain turns, I drug pegs with the best of them.  Lancer and I did not go down to grass eating horizontal during the whole trip.  As a matter of fact I emergency braked to a quick dead stop in the middle of a deadly siren "magnetic attack" turn so them durn car tires can flat do the job.

FREE Advice -- stay with 155-80r15 or smaller tire.  Why?  Fit to the wheel well inside the fender and clearance to the belt and guard.  Clearance to the left inside of the swing arm.

Are car tires different?  Yep -- takes you a week or so to get used to the differences.  Nothing your hind brain (balance center/reflexes) can't learn how to accommodate.

Are they safe?  Yep -- just as safe as you are.  It isn't the tires that make you go down, it's you.

Do you use the side of the tire?  No, you use the bottom and leading edge just like you do on the front tires on your car -- same wear type and pattern.  Just a lot less of it.  You are not putting a ton plus of sideways drag force on your back tire going around the turn like you do in a car -- all bike forces are down nominal forces.

Do they last longer?  Yep -- I have well over 1 IRC worth of wear on my original car tire and it is just now literally just now fully broken in.  Buy a tire you like as you are going to have it for FIVE or more years before you wear it out.  

And that is with me intentionally putting long black marks on Toymaker's concrete driveway just so he would have reminders of the trip that he could see every day both coming and going ....

And who says you can't darkside a squid bike?   Huh Roll Eyes

Some of you folks need to plan to attend these little get-togethers that we have periodically.  You miss a lot of neat stuff.

Ask Toymaker or Ed L. or Lancer  (have both seen and ridden)

« Last Edit: 09/08/08 at 18:27:35 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Cory

Ride Hard Or Stay
Home

OHIO
Reply #8 - 08/18/08 at 21:13:26

the car tire idea sounds cool to me if they last longer , would a shop put it on for you or since it's a car tire would you have to put it on yourself ?

2000 Savage , Ebc Brakes , HD Dyna Muffler , Diamond Grips , Diamond Mirrors , Leather Saddlebags
crimsonhand1977   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #9 - 08/18/08 at 21:16:08

You would definitely have to put it on yourself. No shop will mount a car tire to a bike rim because of liability issues.

I am thinking of doing this mod as well by the way.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Cory

Ride Hard Or Stay
Home

OHIO
Reply #10 - 08/18/08 at 21:21:24

heck yeah now days it's all about saving money and if you can save money by making a tire work that will last longer i am all up for it . It's amazing what things you can do with a bike .

2000 Savage , Ebc Brakes , HD Dyna Muffler , Diamond Grips , Diamond Mirrors , Leather Saddlebags
crimsonhand1977   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 08/18/08 at 22:03:25

I may not try Metzler out... if ya get my drift.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 08/19/08 at 06:20:28

Of course, we would never do anything so foolish as that, we've got better sense than doing something stupid -- it's all a theoretical discussion.

Last count we've got 5-6 theoretical scientists on the list, so far no flaws in the theory as practiced.

Here is my best practical theory for size and cost and quick ease of purchase.  It is a Wal-Mart 155-80r15 (picture is from a bigger tire, wally is a bit slack about such things)

Remember to tell them it is for the spare tire on your daughter's 1968 Volkswagen Beetle so they will sell it to you.   Mount it with the raised white letters to the right and the black side towards your drive belt.  Use a new tube, the largest 15 inch bike tube you can buy.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4061598&year=&make=&mode...

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #13 - 08/19/08 at 06:49:44

I for one can't imagine how much your traction must be reduced when you use the edge of a car tread when compared to a motorcycle tire with a rounded profile tread. Incidently, if you are using the same edge as a car does, you're leaning the wrong way around the corners.

Probably isn't going to be a problem because of the light weight of a Savage, but car tire sidewalls aren't made for that kind of loading.

If you are leaning your car as far as you lean a MC when you're draggin hard part, you need to join one of those side shows.  Wink

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 08/19/08 at 07:07:16

The thread rolls with the turn keeping the contact patch almost constant up to a point.  You can't drag pegs with the same patch, it will reduce at some point.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/18/24 at 06:24:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Car tire for the back

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.