Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Noobie Question (Read 216 times)
jagugator
YaBB Newbies

06 Boulevard S40

Noobie Question
09/07/08 at 19:24:49

First let me start by saying I love this site and I am going to enjoy being here.  Grin

My wife and I are signed up for the Basic Rider Course in November, neither of us has ever ridden before.  I just purchased her a very minimally used 2006 S40 today.  To good of a deal to pass on.  The bike only has 309 miles on it and is in excellent shape sans some brillo pad looking scratches on the Muffler and a busted (opposite side) tail light (already ordered).

My first and I am sure not my last question.  Since the bike is almost 3 years old and only has 309 miles on it should I wait until the full breakin period is over until I change the oil or just do it now?  

Thanks and I look forward to getting to know you all!
Ed

Life is to short to drink cheap beer

Molan Labe
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Re: Noobie Question
Reply #1 - 09/07/08 at 19:37:30

If it was my bike, I'd want to know for sure what oil was in it before I ran it.  For the few dollars it will cost, I say change it.  Someone wiser than I will have to tell you what to put in it for that break-in period, though.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 09/07/08 at 19:41:27

Oil changes on bikes are just like cars, every 2k or every 6 mo's, whichever comes first.

WWW   IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #3 - 09/07/08 at 21:43:04

Are you new to motorcycles?  If the bikes been sitting for three years, you might need to clean the gasoline by adding some "seafoam" for example or similar carb cleaning gas shellack removing additive. Gotta check the brakes are functioning and the tires have no rot.  You might get the folks running your class to give it a once over; and if your handy yourself, definately an oil change as mositure that condenses in an engine is not your firend.
The scratches and busted tail light suggest the bike has been dropped Have someone who rides take it for a test to make sure it is in alingment, running straight and true.  Enjoy the course..Motorcycling is fun.

IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #4 - 09/07/08 at 21:46:12

Change the oil and filter - remember to adjust the valves and re-torque the head bolts around 600 miles +/-.  

Have fun and ride safe.

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
jagugator
YaBB Newbies

06 Boulevard S40

Reply #5 - 09/07/08 at 22:04:00

I guess I should have elaborated a little more.  I had a friend who has been riding for 20 years go with me and take it out for a ride.  He was impressed with it and said it handled well and looked to be in very good shape.  About 50 of the miles were just put on the bike not too long ago.

I do all of my own car maintenance so I have some mechanical ability, I have just never delt with a bike before.  I actually planned on doing a complete once over and changing everything that needed it.  

It really doesn't look as if it has ever been dropped.  Looking at the muffler, it almost looks like some plastic or tar might have melted on the pipe and sombody tried to clean it off.  As I said the light that is hanging is on the opposite side from the muffler so I think it might have had a box or something heavy dropped on it while in the garage.

Ed

Molan Labe
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 09/07/08 at 22:11:37

Oil that has seen service gets unburned hydrocarbons in it. Park it, let it sit, it becomes acidic. Change the oil. No synthetics yet, tho.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 09/08/08 at 01:00:57

Welcome and congratulations,..go ahead and change the oil, I do it instantly whenever I buy a bike...It lets her know you're gonna' take good care of her, so she'll take good care of you...
Ride safe, enjoy

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #8 - 09/08/08 at 16:26:55

Follow breakin instructions in the owners manual.  They are for seating the rings and stretching things into place.  If you ddn't get the owners manual,  there is a 2002 one in the tech ref section available free for download.  The 2002 is very simialr with the exception of the 4 way flashers and the flash to pass, and the badges.   Everything else is pretty much the same.

When you get to the 600 mile mark,  do the periodic maintenance.   You can proably do it yourself since the bike is no longer under warranty.  It's can be tedious, but if you can change a water pump on  a modern car (last 15 years) , the Savage/S40 is a walk in the park.

T Mack

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #9 - 09/08/08 at 16:36:42

I also recently picked up an 06 S40 with only 150 miles on it. It was garage kept and in great condition so I changed oil, put in fresh gas and checked the tires and the adjustment of all the cables. I also  checked the water level in the battery and inspected the air filter. Even a low mileage bike could have a dirty air filter. I also recommend that you invest in a battery tender if you are not going to ride it till you complete the BRC.  

At 600 miles I did the full service myself including the valve clearances and torquing the nuts on the head.  It's not hard and is a good way to get familiar with the bike. And some dealerships will rip you off blind for this service.

Oh yeah, and don't be surprised to find some floating flecks of metal in your waste oil from your first oil change.  Its normal.  Finding  a japanese wedding ring with a finger still attached it fairly unusual, but metal flakes should not freak you out. Tongue

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #10 - 09/10/08 at 00:02:23

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/07/08 at 22:11:37:
Oil that has seen service gets unburned hydrocarbons in it. Park it, let it sit, it becomes acidic. Change the oil. No synthetics yet, tho.

+1 on that. Change the oil.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #11 - 09/10/08 at 02:09:06

As some others say above, change the oil - it's not worth risking it being old for the sake of a few dollars.  Make sure you run her up nice and warm before you change it - and change the filter too.

Fill with an ordinary reasonable quality mineral oil until you've finished the break-in period, then change to synthetic.  After the odometer hits anything from 600 to 1000 miles, change to Mobil 1 V-twin which is the best thing on the market for air-cooled bikes.  It looks expensive, but you leave it in the bike for twice as long as ordinary oil (10000 miles easily if you can bring yourself to do this) and it will still protect your motor better than brand new dino oil, so it works out cheap in the long run, not even counting the fact that it will reduce wear and double the life of your engine.

I wouldn’t bother draining off the old fuel unless you suspect it’s not running right, you might be throwing good cash away, though if you top up the tank with new fuel as soon as you can, the bike will get the benefit of fresh factory additives.  Fuel can lose some of its octane rating over time but that’s not a problem with the Savage at 8.5:1 compression!

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
jagugator
YaBB Newbies

06 Boulevard S40

Reply #12 - 09/11/08 at 08:01:11

Thanks everyone for the replies.  I already changed the oil and put some seafoam in the tank.  The bike looks good and runs great.

Ed

Molan Labe
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #13 - 09/11/08 at 08:22:30

Sounds like you got a "find." Enjoy it. keep it running. MCs that run are happier.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/15/24 at 02:49:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Noobie Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.