Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Re: Highway
Reply #30 - 08/07/08 at 09:46:43

Brandon wrote on 08/06/08 at 17:19:38:
On the highway with my 01 I run between 65-85 depending on what the traffic is doing, she does just fine. To someone who has never been on a thumper, it might seem like she is straining her nuts off, but this motor, properly maintained, is just fine in the 3500-5250 rpm range(highway speeds 5th gear) If you think this thing vibrates at 70, you must have never ridden a panhead hd. Now THAT vibrates the ever loving CRAP outta ya. Grin

I hear ya on that.  The Savage just runs on and on, with a smile on her face!  My 96 Honda 1100 ACE has a single pin crank.  They modeled it to compete with the HD Fatboy.  You want to talk a vibrator!  The handlebars bounce a full inch when you sit at a light.  And talk about vibration on the freeway...the Savage just tingles compared to it.  But the one thing I've noticed about both of them...they like to run all out!  So rev'm up and let'm run!  It don't hurt none!

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #31 - 08/07/08 at 20:43:53

I just got back from a ride with BACA and the bike kept up with the rest of them just fine. The next smallest bike was a 1000 and the rest were either 1200 or 1300. We were cruising between 75 and 80 the whole way. I didn't have any problems keeping up for the 60 mile ride.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
GrateFuLDad

Boiling Springs,SC
Reply #32 - 08/08/08 at 13:04:01

thanks everyone for the input....

My wife and i will be taking our first trip tomorrow and this gives us both great confidence about the day....

going into the mountains to take some pics....
i do photography and going for some relaxtion not work this time..

gotta take the highway to get there....

thanks

Hang up that cell phone and let us that Ride LiVE....~!~

standingbearz   IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #33 - 08/10/08 at 04:31:33

Last Tuesday I loaded my bike with hiking gear and stuff for 3 days and rode 883 kms south to Alps. Yesterday I returned through the same route. This time I chose my other 650 because of comfort, handling and midrange through Alpine switchbacks. I've toured through Europe on our Savage but wouldn't buy one for touring. But if it were my only bike, I would've done the same trip on the LS.

IP Logged
NDBiker

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #34 - 08/10/08 at 09:02:40

I've gotten up to 85 before I realized what I was doing it.  I've cruised comfortably, well as comfortably one can get at 75mph for 7 hours to then 7 hours from Columbus, OH to South Bend, IN.  The 7 hours does include stopping for 15-20 minutes every hour to gas up and rest the posterior.  I'm 300+lbs I was carrying at least 30-40lbs of gear on me as well.  Granted the only downfall was my mpg dropped to about 38mpg/g.  Because of the extra lbs. my Savage has to carry I get roughly 45mpg city, 55mpg highway @ 55mph, -40mpg @ +65.  Now if I could only get down to 225-250lbs.  I'm still young, I'll get there.

My motorcycle gets better gas mileage than your hybrid.
  IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #35 - 08/10/08 at 17:14:56

I did the chain conversion, forward controls, small windscreen. 17/43 on the conversion and I need to be around 55 mph for fifth. Much better on the slab!

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
Drunken Pig
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 08/20/08 at 19:50:26

I just recently made two trips from Charlotte NC to Tenn. by way of Deals Gap up the Tail of the Dragon.  We hit I26 to I40 and my S40
had plenty of get up and go to pull Saluda Grade.

I ain't a small guy, but the bike has more that enough get up a go to let me ride with my buddy on his '07 Streetglide.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 21:05:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Highway

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.