Send Topic Print
Highway (Read 666 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Highway
Reply #15 - 08/06/08 at 06:25:26

If you have never had a bigger motorcycle you might think this is alright for freeway I have a Suzuki LC 1500 you can go down the freeway 80 mph one hand and smoke a cigarette,I live 1/3 mile from a un busy freeway I've put a total of 5 miles on that freeway the other 2000 miles on back roads,I had a 6 cylinder Goldwing before the 1500 suzuki,So I'm uses to big motorcycles.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #16 - 08/06/08 at 10:14:50

Took a trip with a pack of Harleys (150 miles). I was 2up cruising 75mph with burst up to 90 mph to catch back up, if the pack got split up by traffic. Granted I got some minor mods but if your bike does not get past 75 you should do a leak down test like they do on airplanes and Porsches cause you've got a serious power problem Wink

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #17 - 08/06/08 at 10:40:20

I have an almost 6 mile stretch of interstate on the daily commute where it's marked 55 and 65 and the traffic typically moves at 70+.

Prior to adding the windscreen, 70 was work since spent most of my time working at holding on.  After the 'screen, the S40 will run 75 and still has about 1/5 throttle left.

I've only tried it once, but I did have it up to 90 indicated before I backed off.  Too many "I'm getting off at this exit from the high speed lane" drivers to keep going that fast. Sad

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #18 - 08/06/08 at 10:58:33

I ran mine on the interstate maybe 85% of the time.  65-75mph every day sometimes as many as 500 miles in a single day.

Never once did I feel the bike was underpowered.  It kept up with traffic and I always had some throttle left over, just in case.

Ride the bike.  It's not made of bubble gum and tin foil.  Ride, man! Ride!

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #19 - 08/06/08 at 11:38:14

Its not underpowered just under weight and to much rpm for freeway driving

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
jimR
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

upstate NY Albany
Reply #20 - 08/06/08 at 12:18:48

I ride about 50 miles round trip per day. 80% is on intersate 87. The bike really likes 60 -65. But 70+ to get away from idiots is easily done. Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Kirk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Atlanta, GA
Reply #21 - 08/06/08 at 12:19:53

I have ran my stock s40 up to 92mph on the highway here in Atlanta with no problems. The speed limit is posted at 55-65 but everyone drives 70 minimum and I have no trouble keeping up with traffic. I guess to each is own. For me the little thumper that could......should. Smiley

IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #22 - 08/06/08 at 12:23:16

I did the chain conversion with 17/43 gears.  I can run 65 without it breaking a sweat.  70 is no problem.  75 is a bad vibration speed but 80 is a smooth, sweet speed.  But that's also where the wind really starts to get annoying (comes up under the windshield, along the side of the tank, and hits me in the face).

My preference is 65-70, even on my Honda 1100 Shadow.  Gets me about 45MPG on the Honda...60MPG on the Savage.

*[Speeds are actual, not indicated]

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
07S40rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Murfreesboro, TN
Reply #23 - 08/06/08 at 12:40:06

Interesting that this thread should pop up now. I just walked back in from a lunch run where I ran a few miles on the interstate.  This is not common for me as I usually stick to smaller highways simply because they are more fun.  I hit 75 with no trouble (same vibration at 60 that most experience) and my only two issues were; 1. passing big rigs at that speed was pushing my bike to the limit due to the wind resistance from the front of the rig and 2. it was a very windy day in general so a headwind at 75 pretty much kept me from going much faster.  I did have a little throttle left though but at that speed it just sounds like I am pushing the bike too close to the edge of its comfort zone.

"One mans McGoofy is another mans McCuff - its like pure magic in a yellow rubber gadget!"
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #24 - 08/06/08 at 12:46:22

Just got back from a job interview where I got on the highway and was doing up to 70mph indicated without a single problem with plenty of throttle left over.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #25 - 08/06/08 at 13:03:52

I only weight 165 I have no problem doing 85 mph

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #26 - 08/06/08 at 13:06:18

I don't experience the vibration problems that I hear lots of people on here complain about.  I just took a trip to Morgantown, WV for a big bike rally and that was 3 hours of Interstate running 70-75 (85 to get around those $#@% trucks).  No vibration problems, no power problems, and the only cars that passed me were on their way to reckless driving tickets.  Shocked

If it can carry my 245 lb butt at 85 mph on the Interstate, I'd say it's got all the power a person needs!!!

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40
2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic
  IP Logged
Bear_Rider

Reply #27 - 08/06/08 at 16:54:29

I just got back yesterday from a 1200 mile round trip to the Oregon coast. 65-75 all day long, with no problem from the vibration. However, the seat needs a little more work, and I'm probably going to add some highway pegs.

IP Logged
Brandon
YaBB Newbies

Wooo Hoo!! Did you
see that!!!

Montevallo, AL
Reply #28 - 08/06/08 at 17:19:38

On the highway with my 01 I run between 65-85 depending on what the traffic is doing, she does just fine. To someone who has never been on a thumper, it might seem like she is straining her nuts off, but this motor, properly maintained, is just fine in the 3500-5250 rpm range(highway speeds 5th gear) If you think this thing vibrates at 70, you must have never ridden a panhead hd. Now THAT vibrates the ever loving CRAP outta ya. Grin

Representing the Savage Republic!!
bdsavage69   IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #29 - 08/06/08 at 23:42:54

Most of my riding is on the freeway, at about 60 -65 mph indicated. My '08 has no trouble. I've had bigger bikes, even a Goldwing in the mix. This bike could stand to be a bit heavier, but will do the freeways and highways just fine. I pass semi's and every other thing as need arises. To date, I've had no problem getting the job done with throttle to spare.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 22:58:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Highway

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!