Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Highway (Read 666 times)
GrateFuLDad

Boiling Springs,SC
Highway
08/05/08 at 18:42:59

do you take your bike out on the highways? if so what speed do you usually take..?
i sometimes feel that the bike needs just one more gear... maybe its just me...
i have gotten it up to 70 but not over....
the speed limit was 70 and i about got run over till i got up my speed to 70....
i prefer back roads but sometimes i have to jump on highway and then jump back off another exit to make it through the city...

Hang up that cell phone and let us that Ride LiVE....~!~

standingbearz   IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Re: Highway
Reply #1 - 08/05/08 at 18:46:42

yeah, people here have even rode these things across several states.  Not the best bike bone stock for the slab, but you can convert to chain drive and get a ratio better for highway speeds.

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
aysrav
YaBB Newbies

Augusta, Georgia
Reply #2 - 08/05/08 at 19:30:39

I love a big bike on the highway but the single cyl is just too much vibration for me. People pass me by one after another because 60 is near the end of my comfort zone. My S-40 likes 50 mph even better. If there is an alternate route then I avoid the highways.
aysrav

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #3 - 08/05/08 at 19:50:14

Here in Montana, the speed limit on most two-lane higways is 70 mph.  I ride mine around at 75 all the time.  It just rumbles along.  I even passed a Harley today, just to be ornery. Smiley

Turns out it was a female riding the thing.  I think I pissed her off, because she tried to catch back up to me.  I couldn't let that happen.  I came smoking into a construction zone at about 80 and had to warm up the brakes a little to get legal again.  What a completely juvenile attitude on my part.  "Nah Nah Nah. My bike can pass your bike!"

But it was fun. Roll Eyes

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #4 - 08/05/08 at 20:25:48

I've been up to 85 once on a rural highway. 70 on the interstate. I thought I was going to get blown off the thing. Mine is an '87 and it would be nice to have a 5th gear sometimes. Usually in the city, I'm lucky if I get past 3rd. And yes, the Savage she does vibrate.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 08/05/08 at 20:34:05

Yep it would be great if the jump from 4th to 5th was 1000rpm's like all the other gears.

I run at 70 almost all the time, 60-65 is the worst for vibes.

WWW   IP Logged
sockmonkeygirl
Serious Thumper

37 Stitches

W.Mass
Reply #6 - 08/05/08 at 20:45:07

I just took my 2000 on a 3 hour interstate trip to NY with no problems.  I used to own a smaller bike, so to me, the Savage handles the highway well.  I feel like I'm floating on a cloud at 5th gear.  Not sure what all this vibration talk is about.  I go about 65-72 (give or take) on the highway.

This morning I was going 60 in 4th gear with plenty throttle left.  The bike always gives me as much speed and response as I need--and then some.

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #7 - 08/05/08 at 21:03:08

I have done 70 -75 mph for up to an hour at a time comfortably. Me and my bike seem most comfortable at around 65 mph. There seems to be a sweet spot at that speed where the vibration seems to fade away. Over all I am impressed how well the bike does on the hiway. I haven't ridden a V twin to compare the ride and sometime wonder how good they are given that I'm happy with the Savage.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #8 - 08/05/08 at 21:37:25

Ran L.A. to OKC in 2 1/2 days on the superslabs.  Kept up with traffic, 65-75 mph.

Came home via US 60/CA62 at 55-60.  I have my new saddle, just need floorboards before I try another long trip.

WWW   IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #9 - 08/05/08 at 21:52:29

I've done several comfort mods to my Sav so my comments reflect that situation. In the last couple of years I've done two 4,200 mile and one 2,700 mile round trips, in August and a great deal of the time on inter-states. The bike just rolls along with never a hesitation. Yes, the vibration can get to be a bit much, but I've run 600+ mile days and gotten up the next morning to ride again. You can do what ever you want to on these little thangs.

As for speed, I don't recommend it, but mine will sit on 85 real mph with me and a 125 or so pounds of gear on the back. And still have a little throttle left. I pass tractor trailer rigs, I run with the Sturgis crowd (until I can't take the noise anymore) and hit the gravel back roads for the hard-to-get-to places. This is my first bike ever (I'm no kid either) and I see no reason for a different steed. Well, unless it were to be a 250cc or a scooter for those pesky little under 200 mile runs where gas mileage is way better.

Jack

IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #10 - 08/05/08 at 22:40:25

I have no problems I do a little time on the I5. I have had the bike up to 80 2 up just to see if it would. on my daily commute, I mostly do 55 60.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #11 - 08/05/08 at 22:47:59

last month on my ride to farmington we were in a hurry to get there 75 > 80 in some streches till we hit the mountain passes..noticed more oil consumption on those higher speed legs.. on the way back (same distance diffferent roads and ALOT slower runs[bike run from durango to ouray{share the road}25 mph top for a good 50 miles but up and over 10K passes]
no oil consumed....
had er up to 88 once the first year (o6)plenty fast for this lite a scoot...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 08/06/08 at 01:04:55

Take mine on the highway all the time ('95 stock). Will do 70mph all day without even trying. Wringing out the gears I have no doubt this thing will hit the indicated 100mph and probably a bit more. A far cry from the 250 rebel I had, which was adequate but had nothing extra to give should the need arise. Seat comfort isnt the greatest. For day trips I bungee a backpack to the sissy bar full of towels. Something to lean back on makes riding this thing a breeze. Forward controls would make it a rolling lay-z-boy. One more gear would be nice, or like verslagen said, a 5th that was a "full" gear. I dont know if im trying to shift into "6th" because I think there should be a higher gear or because I'm not sure whether im in 5th or 4th. And like thumper clone says, at highway speeds check your oil every few gas tanks. Mine eats oil on extended highway runs but it might just be my machine.

IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #13 - 08/06/08 at 01:43:41

Mine is a stock 2001 and has no problems on the highway. I think she likes it better.  Smiley

60-65 mph seems to get me the best gas mileage and she seems to like to sit there comfortably although i have done 70. I'm just not a speed demon even when I had a car.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #14 - 08/06/08 at 05:56:03

I used to travel on the Savage on the highways and expressways a lot by necessity. I ran into a situation passing a semi-trailer truck into a headwind doing about 70 mph where I actually started slowing down when I switched lanes and got out into the slipstream generated by the truck. I couldn't pass him! IMHO this created a real safety issue and made me look at the Savage in a different light.

While the Savage can do higher speeds and has been used for touring by some, it is not what it excels at. If you want a recent graphic example, look at the roll on speeds posted in another thread, my Concours will do that roll on in about a third of the time loaded without using full throttle, and a lot of people consider the early model Concours a bit of a dog performancewise. With the Savage you can't even drop a gear or two to get into a higher rpm range and pick up HP that way. ("Drop a gear and disappear")

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 21:48:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Highway

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.