Send Topic Print
performance carb kit (Read 255 times)
06bully
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

performance carb kit
07/30/08 at 23:02:27

i need a new carb, in a nutshell the idle screw is totally stripped and the owner before me had the bright idea to try and grind it away Shocked so i need a totally new carb.  i have a practically straight pipe on it right now, and it back fires like a pregnant dog.  when i bought the pipe i also bought the stage 2 jet kit.  so my question is; should i just buy the performance carb kit offered on this site or should i buy a new stock carb and just jet it.  and if the 2nd choice is the more intelligent, where would your recommend buying it.  could i also get some opinions, pros cons, gas milage differences, and performance increase with the performance carb kit.  
thanks in advance guys and try not to haggle me for being a newbie Roll Eyes

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: performance carb kit
Reply #1 - 07/31/08 at 06:35:40

I just wanted to offer a suggestion about your bike which will help regardless of the type carb you may choose.   A straight pipe will make tuning difficult and hamper performance.  I know that a lot of folks like the look of a straight pipe but performance wise it is at the bottom of the list; reducing performance in the low-midrange significantly and only providing limited performance improvement at near wide open throttle.  
A stock engine needs an exhaust system with some back pressure and that has adequate volume in the muffler which enables good scavenging of exhaust gases.   The standard rule of thumb has traditionally been 10 to 1, volume of muffler can vs cylinder volume.
Anyway, point is that a good muffler will help performance a lot compared to the straight pipe.

I don't know if you have researched the price on new stock carbs but the prices I found are:
Ron Ayers ......$372
Alpha Sports ...$493
Bike Bandit .....$445

It is amazing that the replacement cost on just the carburetor is 10% the price on a brand new motorcycle.

If you are going to keep the bike completely stock and change nothing more than just the muffler then a jetted & tuned stock carb will perform well.  
If you want more than just the standard easy cruise of a stock bike, like responsiveness and power beyond the norm, and/or have plans on mod'ing the engine for more performance then the Performance Carburetor Kit would be the better choice since it has the capability to handle virtually anything you would do to the engine.

IP Logged
06bully
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/31/08 at 09:01:23

well ihave the 50 pipe they sell on ebay, it still has a baffle but compartively there isnt much there.  i just got the bike 3 months ago, so i havnt really researched to much what performance parts there are.  either way, i just noticed that the performance kit seems like a better deal.  Right now my bike backfires like crazy even when the carb and pipe were stock.  so would the performance kit have enough tunabilty to get rid of the backfiring.  also how easy is it to tune.  and my last question is will it significantly(10-15 mpg) hamper my milage? thanks guys, im likeing this forum you guys seem chill i plan to stick around for awhile

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #3 - 07/31/08 at 11:00:46

Well 06Bully, you could not have gotten a better person to respond to you, because Lancer there is the carb guru in these parts and it is his jet kit and performance carb that are on this site.

By the way Lancer I will be sending that cam core out tomorrow.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 07/31/08 at 17:47:01

06bully wrote on 07/31/08 at 09:01:23:
well ihave the 50 pipe they sell on ebay, it still has a baffle but compartively there isnt much there.  i just got the bike 3 months ago, so i havnt really researched to much what performance parts there are.  either way, i just noticed that the performance kit seems like a better deal.  Right now my bike backfires like crazy even when the carb and pipe were stock.  so would the performance kit have enough tunabilty to get rid of the backfiring.  also how easy is it to tune.  and my last question is will it significantly(10-15 mpg) hamper my milage? thanks guys, im likeing this forum you guys seem chill i plan to stick around for awhile

The carb in the kit is a Mikuni but is an entirely different type than the stock unit.  The stocker is a CV type which has a butterfly valve that is actuated by the throttle cable, and then manifold vacuum created within the intake channel then moves the carb slide.  This type carb minimizes emmisions as required by the EPA but is limited performance wise.  The carb from the kit  is a VM type in which the slide is directly moved by the throttle cable.  This creates more immediate throttle response.
The VM carb is capable of handling anything from stock to a maxed out engine at double the stock horsepower.
Tuning is easy and parts are cheap and available everywhere.
This is the most used performance carb in motorcycle history.

IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #5 - 07/31/08 at 18:44:00

i have the vm carb and i love it.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #6 - 07/31/08 at 18:47:49

Eventually I will be going with Lancer's performance carb as well. It will just take some time to get the money.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #7 - 07/31/08 at 18:51:43

i don't think you'll regret it, the only bad part for me was paying more for the carb than i paid for the bike!!!!!

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
Reply #8 - 07/31/08 at 19:58:49

Rigidchop was the carb a real big difference for you ?

07 S40 Brat BOBBER - Hard Krome drag pipe, header wrap, Cone filter, jetted , harley drag bars, solo seat, chain conversion, seeger forward controls, custom rear fender, fork gaiters.
  IP Logged
06bully
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/31/08 at 20:56:14

so last question before i order the carb kit(tomorrow woot) does it come with an air filter, or do i/can i use the stock air box.  i was a bit confused by the write up.  also do i need to purchase anything else in order for this to run right on my bike?

IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #10 - 08/01/08 at 01:26:56

the opening on the rear of the carb is bigger than stock, you could modify the airbox to work, especially if you like the stock look of the bike. if you take off the airbox, you also lose your side covers, and youll have to find a place for all of your electrics. kind of a pain in the butt.

for my bike the difference was big, but its an 87 and the stock carb wasn't in the greatest shape. your results may vary.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 08/01/08 at 03:29:05

The Performance Carb kit does not include the Performance Filter but it can be purchased as an option.
Also, the new smaller version of the Performance Filter will fit in the space between the carb and the air box so the air box can remain in place and the side covers retained.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 08/01/08 at 03:32:20

06bully wrote on 07/31/08 at 20:56:14:
so last question before i order the carb kit(tomorrow woot) does it come with an air filter, or do i/can i use the stock air box.  i was a bit confused by the write up.  also do i need to purchase anything else in order for this to run right on my bike?

What is the model year of your bike ? ? I need to know because there are differences between the throttle cables of various model years

IP Logged
06bully
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 08/01/08 at 06:08:30

i have an 06, and its the 40 dollar air filter that will fit right?

IP Logged
savagejoe
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 08/02/08 at 01:10:37

I am interested in getting this, what kind of horsepower does it add to the bike.

Joe

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/16/24 at 01:59:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › performance carb kit

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.