Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Modifying the stock muffler (Read 201 times)
Brandon
YaBB Newbies

Wooo Hoo!! Did you
see that!!!

Montevallo, AL
Modifying the stock muffler
07/24/08 at 18:02:11

Hey all! I finally got around to taking my muffler off and having a look. I removed the backplate with a drill and a plasma cutter. Grin (That was fun! Cheesy) I couldn't believe the little tiny tube the exhaust comes through. That was fun! I am currently trying to figure out a way to get out the next plate in there. Has anyone done this before or have an idea as to how to get that one out? I'm also wondering how much I have changed the flow through the muff, if i should rejet yet.

Representing the Savage Republic!!
bdsavage69   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Re: Modifying the stock muffler
Reply #1 - 07/24/08 at 18:13:08

I don't think you've changed it much yet.  That next plate has the same little tiny hole in it.  I drilled three holes in my forward plate to begin with.  Just today I drilled seven more of them.  I'm bound and determined to open that exhaust up and lean things out.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Brandon
YaBB Newbies

Wooo Hoo!! Did you
see that!!!

Montevallo, AL
Reply #2 - 07/24/08 at 18:28:20

I started with three 5/8 holes in my backplate too. If you come up with a method of removing/ opening up that next plate let me know and I'll do the same.

Representing the Savage Republic!!
bdsavage69   IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/24/08 at 18:32:15

This is what Bill67 passed on to me about modifying the stock muffler...1/2 in drill bit about 14inch long drill in the hole a the back of muffler you might need and extension to get that long theres a plate in there you drill thought, also another plate about 2inches deeper you can drill thought also makes it louder but not much.

Sandy, has the muffler given you any deeper sounds after just drilling the holes in the back plate?

I too have been thinking of doing something like this.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #4 - 07/24/08 at 18:38:30

I wasn't very clear, there.  I removed the back plate and all the packing and junk that was hooked to it.  Then I drilled the holes in the front plate using a bit extension and bit.

Yeah, it has a deeper sound.  It's much, much louder than stock for sure.  But it doesn't sound as nice as the Supertrapp or the Raask that I've listened to in person on others' Savages.  

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/24/08 at 18:42:20

Sandy, how far in is the other plate you drilled holes in from the opening of the muffler???  I would like to try this, I dont need it too loud and this might be just as much as I need.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #6 - 07/24/08 at 18:43:22

I'll go run a tape in there and find out.  Meanwhile, check your PM inbox.  Sent you a message.

Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #7 - 07/24/08 at 18:45:37

Nine inches from the back of the muffler to the front plate.

flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/24/08 at 18:46:56

well, I guess I need to go buy longer drill bits!

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 07/24/08 at 18:51:01

I have drilled out almost every muffler like that all mufflers are different Hondas where a lot louder suzukis don't get as much louder they all sounded better the s40 didn't sound much better at all but is a little louder  it gives a little  more high end power but loses a little low end torque. My boy drilled his victory like that and it sounds real good but isn't real loud .I really myself don't like a real loud sound.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
shermeco

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/24/08 at 18:52:09

A couple of weeks ago I went to the Harley dealership and was given a sportster muffler so to get past the plate i took the sawzaw to the bad to and still couldn't get the canister out that has the packing boy was it fun hacking away with that sawzaw just watch out for the brake cable if you do this good thing my wife was there haha as she yelled " HEY your gonna cut that gray cable thingy is that important?"

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 07/24/08 at 18:53:49

First plate is 11 inches back from back of muffler second  plate would be about 13 inches

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 07/24/08 at 19:07:02

I'm going to give it a try on my S40 and see how it turns out.  Afterall, I just want a little deeper sound from it.  If I end up not liking it then I will have to purchase an aftermarket muffler.  Sandy & Bill, thanks alot for all of your info and advice.

IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 07/24/08 at 19:08:16

shermeco wrote on 07/24/08 at 18:52:09:
A couple of weeks ago I went to the Harley dealership and was given a sportster muffler so to get past the plate i took the sawzaw to the bad to and still couldn't get the canister out that has the packing boy was it fun hacking away with that sawzaw just watch out for the brake cable if you do this good thing my wife was there haha as she yelled " HEY your gonna cut that gray cable thingy is that important?"

Have you had a chance to install the new muffler and if so, How does it sound?

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #14 - 07/24/08 at 19:09:00

Yah shoor youbetcha!

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 05:33:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Modifying the stock muffler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.