Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
S40 High RPMs Loss of Power - Engine Cuts In/Out (Read 84 times)
shuki
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

2005 Suzuki S40

S40 High RPMs Loss of Power - Engine Cuts In/Out
07/10/05 at 16:11:24

I welcome help troubleshooting the following S40 problem (1700 miles):

Bike starts fine, idles fine.  Low RPMs in 1st and 2nd gear fine.   BUT applying throttle causes the bike to hesitate and sputter - engine cuts in and out (maybe 2-3 times a second).

It gets worse when it warms up.

In neutral, I can get it to rev higher without "skipping,"  but then it backfires (even while holding the throttle constant).  When in gear, I can't get it to rev as high before skipping.

I'm thinking it's got an air starvation problem at higher throttle.  But it was fine last time I rode it.  So what do I know...

What say all of you?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: S40 High RPMs Loss of Power - Engine Cuts In/O
Reply #1 - 07/11/05 at 12:39:22

Did this just start happening all of a sudden or get worse over time ? Are you handy with a wrench ? -

Some easy things first....

Check the wires going to the coil - if they have vibrated lose it acts about like this.

Pull the Carb bowl and main jet if it's plugged it acts about like this.

Then fun things like the slide is hanging... Ing module and such - bet it's not anything bad

The heavy backfires are not normally caused with air starvation - a rich condition - but it certainly can - I'd expect you to be fouling the plug if that was the case  

IP Logged
shuki
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

2005 Suzuki S40

Reply #2 - 07/11/05 at 18:39:31

Thanks for the word.  It happened suddenly.  There was heavy dust in the air near the bike (contractors cutting kitchen tile), and then I washed it (being careful not to shoot water into the engine area).  When it was dry, this is how it ran.

I'm not unhandy with a wrench - just not so good putting things back where they belong  Undecided

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #3 - 07/11/05 at 20:05:21

First thing I'd do is drain the carburetor float bowl. It's very easy. There's a drain screw on the bottom of the bowl. Stale gas, dirt, or water in the float bowl will cause some problems. Use "prime" on the petc0ck to refill the bowl if you want to drain it more than once.

IP Logged
shuki
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

2005 Suzuki S40

Reply #4 - 04/06/08 at 20:36:09

Never told you all how I resolved this:  broken spark plug wire - once mended, ran again like new.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #5 - 04/06/08 at 22:56:24

shuki wrote on 04/06/08 at 20:36:09:
Never told you all how I resolved this:  broken spark plug wire - once mended, ran again like new.

That's a great one to know. I love it when people report back their final 'fix' as making mental notes of those can save other folk a lot of hassle later.  

BTW, I used to work at a detail shop when I was about 16. My job was to wash/steam clean the engines. Even though we wrapped the distributor and coil in plastic or foil, and tried to avoid spraying those areas directly, about one of ten cars would require a new distributor cap, rotor and sometimes wires before they would run right again. Sometimes some WD-40 sprayed in the cap would fix it. If that didn't work, we just started with the cap and rotor; then replaced the wires if we had too.  Undecided

I'm betting even though you didn't spray the engine directly, you got water on the plug wire, and once a spark jumps through a weak spot once it becomes the new 'path of least resistance' to ground; causing intermittent firing.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #6 - 07/25/08 at 21:07:03

As a general rule of thumb, when an engine acts up primarily under load, one of the first things you should suspect is the high voltage (secondary) side of the ignition system.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 05:33:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › S40 High RPMs Loss of Power - Engine Cuts In/Out

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.