Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hand Grips Removal (Read 1096 times)
flcruzr
Ex Member

Hand Grips Removal
07/16/08 at 17:15:29

Hello, Can someone tell us if removing the hand grips is a difficult task?  I have seen some cool grips and am thinking of changing them out.  

If anyone has changed out their grips can you post pics to see how they look.  Thnaks!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Hand Grips Removal
Reply #1 - 07/16/08 at 20:02:13

Let a little rubbing alcohol seep down between the rubber and the bar, they'll come right off.  Do the same to get the new ones on.  It evaporates quickly and leaves no residue.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #2 - 07/17/08 at 04:02:54

A trick I learned, from a bicycle mechanic, on grip replacement was to spray some hairspray (need not be aerosol) on the bar and the handgrip will slip right on. It will leave a sticky residue so that the grip will not move. So be sure you love them! Wink

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Baldeagle

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hernando MS
Reply #3 - 07/18/08 at 11:57:18

I have the Kuryakyn's with the stilleto end caps.  Test fit the throdle side first, that side does not just slip on.  Should not have a problem with the clutch side.  Also, you might want to use a slower glue than what is provided.

Good luck on your search and RIDE SAFE! Cheesy

Old geezer with a 05 S40
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #4 - 07/18/08 at 17:41:14

i have the kuryakyn iso grips on mine and i just cut off the old ones. to put the new ones on the clutch wen on easy, i just put a little water on the throttle side and it slid on, after a few tries. be careful, those ribbs on the throttle are sharp.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/22/08 at 09:22:05

My 05 had some firm rubber grips, good grip but were starting to feel like it was shedding tiny rubber bits.  Taking off the left one was pretty simple, I inserted a thin screwdriver blade and worked it around to break the glue bond.  Then the grip came off pretty easily.

I started looking at the iso grips but was not sure about the fitment, mainly length.  I ended up with some dense foam ones, larger diameter and longer than the stockers.  So far I have only switched the left side because I am contemplating putting an insert in the end of the bars for additional weight and grip support, just about 3/4" past the end of the bar.  This also gave me a good comparison on the ride in this morning.  Still feel the vibration, but it is less than the stocker rubber grips.  I figure a 7/8" steel shaft and a tack weld will do it.

Next time around I will opt for some better ones.

IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #6 - 07/22/08 at 10:43:31

I want to just change out the bars, not the grips, so I need to do a remove and transplant.  Will the method with rubbing alcohol damage the old grips in any way?

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #7 - 07/22/08 at 17:55:58

nope

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #8 - 08/07/08 at 21:07:29

flcruzr wrote on 07/16/08 at 17:15:29:
Hello, Can someone tell us if removing the hand grips is a difficult task?.....

Another grip removal trick:

Get you a can of contact cleaner with a little straw on the nozzle.  Pry a small section of grip away from the handlebar with a small screwdriver.  Put the straw in there and give it a short blast of contact cleaner.  Move 1/4 way around the grip and repeat.  Twist the grip, if it is not coming loose by now, go another 1/4 way around and repeat.

Works good for me.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Chris Roth

1995 Savage LS 650

Collinsville, IL
Reply #9 - 11/30/12 at 23:18:36

Rubbing alcohol was a life saver in getting the old grips off and assisted in seating the new ones well too.  Thanks for the tip, saved me a lot of frustration.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 12/01/12 at 14:57:07

I moved this to the Rubber Side Down for discussion.  The Tech Section is for "HOW TO" or "Instructional" proven articles with little remaining discussion....or something like that.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #11 - 12/01/12 at 19:18:17

Jay wrote on 07/17/08 at 04:02:54:
A trick I learned, from a bicycle mechanic, on grip replacement was to spray some hairspray (need not be aerosol) on the bar and the handgrip will slip right on. It will leave a sticky residue so that the grip will not move. So be sure you love them! Wink

BTW, MAKE SURE the hairspray has dried before riding!!!  I changed the grips on my old Honda CX500 one time, and wound up going down my street with both feet in the air, rolled back on the sissybar with nothing more than the two new grips in my hands!   I was quick enough to toss the grips and grab the handlebars, avoiding a crash, but I'm sure it was quite a sight.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #12 - 12/02/12 at 04:39:45

Were you able to hold onto or rescue the new grips after saving yourself?

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #13 - 12/02/12 at 10:26:33

ToesNose wrote on 12/02/12 at 04:39:45:
Were you able to hold onto or rescue the new grips after saving yourself?

Oh yeah.   I stopped and picked them up.   I actually grabbed the handlebars just in time as the bike was going into the "wobbles of death" mode, so I avoided a pretty nasty crash.

Sure felt foolish tho, because I had just pulled out of my driveway onto the street when I goosed it 1st gear.   Talk about an awkward position - try to imagine yourself laying on your back on the seat, looking straight up into the sky with your feet higher than head, and both grips in your hands minus the handlebars that they were attached to just a second before!

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #14 - 12/02/12 at 11:25:56

I think I'll learn from your experiences on this one and avoid making the same mistake by any means possible LOL   Grin

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 12:35:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hand Grips Removal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.