Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Maintenance  Help - Oil and Brakes (Read 121 times)
thoner7
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maintenance  Help - Oil and Brakes
07/07/08 at 14:41:01

I Just changed the oil on my "new" 87 Savage.  I used 10w-40, like it said right on the cap, but now there is a slight tick/knock when running the motor.  I didnt use a special "motorcycle" oil, just some castrol syntec blend I already had.  I didnt have the tick before and I am wondering if its the motor oil?  The motor died when riding for the first time since Ive had it as well, and was losing power/wanted to die out at lower RPM.  The oil level is right below the top line.  I noticed that the oil is already as black as it was when I changed it just 8 miles ago.  I didnt change the filter.

Also, Ive noticed that the pads rub the disc ever so slightly on my front brake, whats the easiest way to "widen the gap" between the pads.

Thanks

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Maintenance  Help - Oil and Brakes
Reply #1 - 07/07/08 at 14:49:51

Not all cage oils are good for the savage, don't use the energy conserving oils at all or you'll booger up your clutch.  Some syn's are lighter than advertised.  and except for winter or very cold climates, I'd stick to 10w-50 weight oils, some have said 5w-50 is ok.

You'll never have clearance between your pads and disk, and a slight rub is fine.  If you get complete clearance, that means the time to stop will be even longer.

WWW   IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #2 - 07/07/08 at 14:50:19

I don't know the specifics... But I've heard that because we have a wet clutch, using a motorcycle specific oil is best...

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 07/07/08 at 19:59:47

I use regular old auto 10w-40, not the fuel saving type.  Works fine for me.  17,000 miles no problems.  Most important is that you change it.  I do every 1500 to 2000 miles.
Castrol is a good brand name oil.

Brake pads are designed to be in contact with the disc all the time.  It's o.k.  Like Verslagen says.

As far as the engine tick, maybe you're hearing normal valve lash noise that had been suppressed by engine sludge before. ????
If it sounds like too much much, check the valve adjustment. A little ticking is o.k.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #4 - 07/07/08 at 20:30:30

My valves never ticked until I adjusted them.  They were way too tight prior to that, unbeknownst to me.  The ticking worried me sick, so I rechecked them and they still ticked.

Then I rode it to Philipsburg.  I ran it within hearing of some real pros, and no one said "Hey dummy, you shouldn't tick like that."  That's when I quit worrying about it.  Turns out, you should worry more if you don't hear a little valve noise.

Who knew?

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
thoner7
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/08/08 at 09:41:11

Thanks a lot guys.  I was avoiding the bike for a couple days cause I didnt want to mess it up, but It sounds like itll be alright.  I have to get the inspection updated, so maybe Ill just have them give it a once over.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 07/08/08 at 10:06:05

Remember to check the oil level with the bike level or as close to level as you can.  Otherwise it will be overfilled and that can be messy.

As for which oil to use,  well, if you change oil and you find the clutch slipping, then change it again.   I spend the little bit more for the MC grade oil.  Wal-Mart has Mobil Syn MC oil for lowest prices I found.

As for the oil filter,  at the dealer the filters are around $4.  Since the engine is old school and very dependant on good oil,  it is very advisable to change the filter every time you change oil.   Trust me on this.... or maybe I should say trust the previous owner of my bike on this......

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
daweise1

Old school, new
school, I cheated in
both.....

Pataskala (Cols.) Ohio
Reply #7 - 07/08/08 at 12:17:43

Are you kidding me?????? Man, I went to Advance Auto, Anderson's General Store, and my local dealership for a oil filler.... Advance said "No, can't even order it..", Anderson's wanted $7 for a Fram filler, and the dealership wanted $10.50 for OEM.....  Grin

Bought K&N from eBay at 3 for $20 shipped to my house.....  

$4 oil fillers I wish.......

Getting ripped off in Ohio I guess Shocked

Dyna SE II Black muffler, HD Touring tank(6gals), Pingel petcock, HD Heel rest, Custom handlebars(Rock Chops), Adjure Flamed Headlight with spotlights, HD Flamed Signals, Oldys Gangster Fenders, Paint
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #8 - 07/08/08 at 12:39:20

About 4 bucks is what I pay for oil filters at the local stealership as well.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
BOWDIER

OCALA, FL
Reply #9 - 07/08/08 at 12:58:51

I paid around $4 alos at the dealer ship, about the only thin I buy their.

BOWDIER 2006 RED S40
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #10 - 07/08/08 at 14:16:18

My Stealership has a OEM parts finder tool on their website.  You can order online.  Grin ... but Ron Ayers has cheaper prices, just slower shipping....

Under oil pump:  Item #11
FILTER, ENGINE OIL
16510-37450   (replaces 16510-37440)  
$4.19

http://www.blackmanscycle.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?category=Motorcycles&m...

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
cornfuzed

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

grinnin from coast to coast
Reply #11 - 07/08/08 at 15:39:38

daweise1 wrote on 07/08/08 at 12:17:43:
Are you kidding me?????? Man, I went to Advance Auto, Anderson's General Store, and my local dealership for a oil filler.... Advance said "No, can't even order it..", Anderson's wanted $7 for a Fram filler, and the dealership wanted $10.50 for OEM.....  Grin

Bought K&N from eBay at 3 for $20 shipped to my house.....  

$4 oil fillers I wish.......

Getting ripped off in Ohio I guess Shocked

http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/5703-0635.html?mv_pc=Froogle

Or if you get around Mt Vernon sometimes buddy... try here... I just picked up a filter there yesterday for $4 .36

http://www.mid-ohio.com/map_hours.asp

"The Finest battle implement ever devised." Ung the Caveman on the M1 Pointy Stick
2008 S40
1996 Royal Star
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 10:31:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Maintenance  Help - Oil and Brakes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.