Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
how to build your own sissy bar brackets (Read 111 times)
tim0h2
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

how to build your own sissy bar brackets
07/05/08 at 19:12:46

any ideas. im thinking the brackets need to be 1/4 inch thick steel but im not sure.then the bar itself should be 1/2 inch thick round bar or steel tube.i could really use the help any coments would be welcome thanks. Undecided Grin

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Re: how to build your own sissy bar brackets
Reply #1 - 07/05/08 at 19:39:42

I don't know nuttin' when it comes to metal, but I can tell you that the OEM rails are 1/8 inch thick and the bar is 5/8 inch square, solid material.  That bar is VERY strong stuff.  I used a 3/4 inch pipe clamp just to flex it a little to get it to line up with the sockets, and it was hard work at that.

Don't know if it helps, but it's all I got.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 07/05/08 at 20:24:02

tim0h2 wrote on 07/05/08 at 19:12:46:
any ideas. im thinking the brackets need to be 1/4 inch thick steel but im not sure.then the bar itself should be 1/2 inch thick round bar or steel tube.i could really use the help any coments would be welcome thanks. Undecided Grin

The stock sissy bar is 5/8" square rod.  The bracket for the sissy bar is the side rails.  If you use the stock bracket you'll want to fabricate your sissy bar out of 5/8" rod.  If you're talking about making your own sissy bar and bracket you can use whatever works.

1/4" thick brackets would be suitable for a class 3 trailer hitch rated at 3500 pounds vehicle weight.   1/8" wall would be ridiculously strong.  I was thinking of 3/4" square tube, 1/16" wall, which should accept the 5/8" square rod, probably with a little filing to fit.

WWW   IP Logged
Bear_Rider

Reply #3 - 07/08/08 at 09:48:28

Paladin,

Are you planning to put some sort of reinforcement where the rod come through the tubing? I'm not certain that 1/16 wall will take the sort of force that can be generated without loosening up over time. You might consider brazing another section of tubing inside to increase the effective wall thickness in that area.

The same concern applies where the bolts go through the tubing.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #4 - 07/08/08 at 16:15:01

A 250 pound gross weight trailer with 25 pounds on the hitch, driven gently, shouldn't put a lot of strain on anything.  Still looking and thinking.  Haven't discarded the original idea with the side pieces going back and down, and there's the thought of a gooseneck hitch, with the ball just behind the stock sissy bar.  Heh....   took me six months to mount my seat.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 06:21:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › how to build your own sissy bar brackets

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.