Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
For you electrical guys.... (Read 88 times)
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
For you electrical guys....
07/08/08 at 07:44:48

I have a portable 12-volt air compressor that hooks into a car's cig lighter.  I'd like to use it with my motorcycle battery.  I have a battery tender hooked up and I know there must be a way (or something sold somewhere) that will allow me to hook up the air compressor?  Also my phone has GPS and I'd like to mount it to the handlebars and connect it to the battery.  I found the phone mount but again am faced with the connection to the battery issue.

I searched the Tech Section and came up empty-handed but surely someone has done this?

P.S.  Oldfeller, just read your post about the road-rash first aid.  Good stuff!  Wink

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40
2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: For you electrical guys....
Reply #1 - 07/08/08 at 07:54:18

I hooked up a cig lighter "jack" to my battery and fused it at 10amps.
Mounted it on the swing arm on the right side using heavy duty velcro.
You can get the jack at any auto parts store.  (Make sure you get one that has a cap keep water out when not in use)
I only use mine for recharging my cell phone, but I'm sure it will come in handy for other things.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #2 - 07/08/08 at 10:30:44

Does it plug into the battery tender dongle, or do you have to splice some wires?  I need to maintain the battery tender dongle.  Yes, having a cigarette lighter outlet onboard would be useful for LOTS of stuff.  I'm not good with electricity which is why I'm looking for a product out there that will just plug right in.

Is this what you were talking about?

http://www.autozone.com/R,NONAPP1745/store,1107/initialAction,accessoryProduc...

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #3 - 07/08/08 at 10:58:08

Yes, that's the item.  But you only need the "well"
more like this Cigarette Socket Rt Angle as it has a dust cap.

I added a wire by bolting it on the battery terminal.  That went to an inline fuse setup, then to the well, then to frame ground.
Yes, some splicing needs done..
I don't know of anything that would fit your dongle directly.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 07/08/08 at 10:58:27

First.... a disclaimer.... the pump will give the battery a work-out.  Make sure the battery is in good condition.

Next , Auto-zone sells connectors and I belive they carry the common two prong connector used on most trickle charges.  
Next, Radio Shack sells cigarette lighter "extensions" which are sockets on one side and a plug on the other.  

Get the connector, and the extension, cut the one end off the extenstion,  connect the socket end to the auto-zone connector and you have a remove-able cig lighter adapter.  The center of the cigarette lighter should be positive.  

Remember, it's a bike not a car, so the battery does not have as long of a drain life.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #5 - 07/08/08 at 11:04:45

Just found something pretty cool from Kuryakyn:

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=Metric&ci=3893

Yea, I was worried about the drain on the battery.  What if I left the bike running?  Would that make a difference?

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 07/08/08 at 11:15:06

rpgpgmr wrote on 07/08/08 at 11:04:45:
Just found something pretty cool from Kuryakyn:

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=Metric&ci=3893

Yea, I was worried about the drain on the battery.  What if I left the bike running?  Would that make a difference?

If you keep the RPM up a bit.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 10:16:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › For you electrical guys....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.