Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Comfort for Big and Tall (Read 435 times)
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Comfort for Big and Tall
06/26/08 at 16:39:39

Long ago someone posted that the Savage was a "girl's bike" -- I replied no way, it's too small:

While I am comfortable on a stock Savage, Wendy was rather cramped, what with her 36" inseam  (When I first saw Wendy she was wearing beach clogs, Daisy Dukes, and not a thing inbetween -- haven't recovered yet.)  

For Christmas she got me a 13" wide Ultima "High Noon" solo saddle with 3" springs.  Finally got it mounted:
 Picture taken before I fabricated the front mount, which holds the front pivot of the saddle a full four inches above the tank/seat boltdown.  As you can see, the seat is considerably up and back from the stock seating position.  I found it uncomfortable, will be shortening the front by 2 inches and trying to get the rear down by three inches, probably 2 inches forward.  HOWEVER!!!

Wendy said the bike now feels Just Fine:

Check the position of the knee in relation to the gas tank between the top stock seat and the high sprung solo saddle.

« Last Edit: 02/02/11 at 20:57:59 by Paladin. »  
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Comfort for Big and Tall
Reply #1 - 06/26/08 at 18:00:37

Girls ride full dresser Hogs, Haybusa's, and Goldwings.  There's no such thing as a guy's/girl's bike.  If you like it, ride it...
I think you both look great on it.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
firetruckredbike
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/26/08 at 11:02:38

Hear hear, a bike you love is yours - no gender distinctions.

Paladin - on the Daisy Dukes / clogs description - it is so refreshing to see someone speak so glowingly of his/her spouse.  I bet she feels like a million dollars, reading that. Smiley

Ride safe,
Amy

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 09/26/08 at 11:51:16

Carol is 5'8", I am 5'6", she gets outta the car & I gotta run the seat up abut 4 inches. Girls got Laigs.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #4 - 09/26/08 at 17:47:14

Here's a good pic that shows the range of riders that can be comfy on this bike. EdL (left) & I are both around 6'2, and, if you can find her, Paminator is about 5'0 on a good day.

I plan to put on the 4" forward controls and I just just acquired a Road King Police Seat with air ride that I am going to see if I can mount. If not I'll sell it on Ebay cuz I got a great deal. If it can make it work it will be a very sweet solo ride.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/27/08 at 08:39:20

EssForty wrote on 09/26/08 at 17:47:14:
Here's a good pic that shows the range of riders that can be comfy on this bike. EdL (left) & I are both around 6'2, and, if you can find her, Paminator is about 5'0 on a good day.

I plan to put on the 4" forward controls and I just just acquired a Road King Police Seat with air ride that I am going to see if I can mount. If not I'll sell it on Ebay cuz I got a great deal. If it can make it work it will be a very sweet solo ride.

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l397/miniac998/008.jpg

The Road King police Seat dimensions look very close to the H.D. Police seat on my Savage.  You should be able to mount it safely so long as you use the shock absorber arms as your mounting points.  The correct clamps fitted to the arms will allow the use of struts (I used springs but your seat has air-ride)  and then these can be fitted to under your RK seat, perhaps with a framework piece.  This is much sturdier than using bent sheet-metal and screws.  You are right, theses huge seats make it possible to ride all day without discomfort.  Heres how I did it:

http://www.richard-perry.com/HDSeat/HDPoliceSeatConversion.html

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/03/24 at 03:39:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Comfort for Big and Tall

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.