Send Topic Print
Bigger Gas Tank (Read 354 times)
Coleman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bigger Gas Tank
09/24/08 at 04:57:44

Ok here in a month or whenever it gets to cold for me to ride back and forth to work I'll be starting my winter project.

My winter project entails me giving my bike a few upgrades.

First off I'll be replacing the current muffler with a slipon. I haven't quite decided which one yet because I don't want it to be to loud but I want to be heard.

After the muffler replace I'll of course be rejetting the carbs so I dont' get that horrible backfire.

Finally it is time to do something about this tiny gas tank. I make pretty regular runs around NW Missouri and I am tired of having to fill up all the time. I am looking to replace the tank with atleast a 4 gallon tank so I can go about 200 miles or so without having to fill up.

I am already pretty familure with the muffler replace and rejetting what I need is to make a small repository on everyones experience with replacing the current small tank with a bigger one. I have heard that people have put a Road King, Sportster, or even a Vulcan 750 gas tank on here but how exactly did they go about doing it and which way was the easiest?

Please help me out with my winter project.

Thaks in advance
Coleman   Cool

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Bigger Gas Tank
Reply #1 - 09/24/08 at 06:18:58

I cant help w/ the tank, but the exhaust is simple to me. If $$$ is no big deal, grab a Supertrapp. If it is, then a H/D/ takeoff is a low buck, power gain, good sound. I think the Dyna muffler looks nice on it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #2 - 09/24/08 at 07:02:19

I have a Sportster muffler and with a simple rejet it sounds like a million $$$  Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #3 - 09/24/08 at 10:40:18

Coleman wrote on 09/24/08 at 04:57:44:
Ok here in a month or whenever it gets to cold for me to ride back and forth to work I'll be starting my winter project.

My winter project entails me giving my bike a few upgrades.

First off I'll be replacing the current muffler with a slipon. I haven't quite decided which one yet because I don't want it to be to loud but I want to be heard.

After the muffler replace I'll of course be rejetting the carbs so I dont' get that horrible backfire.

Finally it is time to do something about this tiny gas tank. I make pretty regular runs around NW Missouri and I am tired of having to fill up all the time. I am looking to replace the tank with atleast a 4 gallon tank so I can go about 200 miles or so without having to fill up.

I am already pretty familure with the muffler replace and rejetting what I need is to make a small repository on everyones experience with replacing the current small tank with a bigger one. I have heard that people have put a Road King, Sportster, or even a Vulcan 750 gas tank on here but how exactly did they go about doing it and which way was the easiest?

Please help me out with my winter project.

Thaks in advance
Coleman   Cool

Between these two threads you should get the idea on how to install a Road King tank. One of these days I'll set up a thread in the tech/ref section for this procedure.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1209434818/0

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1212029568/0

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #4 - 09/24/08 at 12:10:24

Coleman wrote on 09/24/08 at 04:57:44:

Coleman   Cool

what you got more than one carb?  Shocked   wow, what does the other one/s do?

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Coleman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/24/08 at 12:16:02

Thanks a ton YonuhAdisi I have been looking around trying to dig up those posts.

sluggo: yes yes I meant carb. I posted that like 1 minute before I took off for work this morning.

Well with the new gas tank I might not be able to use my new gel seat that I put on there a couple months ago or so. So, if I can't us it I'll probaly try to sell it on here or ebay.

One way or another I am going to head up to Sturgis next year and I don't feel like stopping all the dang time for gas. I don't think I want as big of tank as the 6 gal prob 4-5 sounds abour right..

One problem that I think I might have is that I have the pull back handlebars. I can't exactly think of what they are called but I was wondering how my turning would work or if I just have to put on a different set of handlebars

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #6 - 09/24/08 at 12:29:39

No problem Coleman

With the Road King tank being so much wider, the handle bars will hit the tank and won't go as far either direction as with the stock tank. However, I have not found that to be a detriment as most of our turning is through leaning and I have not yet slammed the tank while turning corners or even doing u-turns.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 09/24/08 at 21:03:01

Tour tank is another option.

http://www.coyote-gear.com/8inch.html

mount it to the sissy bar.

WWW   IP Logged
Coleman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/25/08 at 08:25:24

verslagen1 wrote on 09/24/08 at 21:03:01:
Tour tank is another option.

http://www.coyote-gear.com/8inch.html

mount it to the sissy bar.

Yeh but how does that work with getting fuel to the carb? Do you have a valve that you switch from tank to backup tank that is between the pecock and the carb? Also will I need to have a vacume line for it so that it will get the fuel from the backup tank to the carb?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 09/25/08 at 09:05:44

You can Tee it inbetween carb and petcock and operate it with a manual valve.

Vac line not necessary unless it's a CA model.

WWW   IP Logged
Coleman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 09/25/08 at 13:51:25

I know that I read in another thread somewhere that the tank behind you is "Safe" but I don't know if I'd like gas in a container behind me. Granted having a gas can between my legs really isn't any safer but still.

One of my somewhat concerns about an extra tank is that I may not always want it there. Can you remove it with ease? I would only really need the big tank a few times a month so.

Has anyone done a writeup on how to easily install these things?

I'll probably also manufacture myself a set of forward controls as well since on long trips my knees start to hurt a bit.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #11 - 09/25/08 at 14:00:29

I don't remember for sure but I think Jack_650 may have detailed the installation of his tour tank. But please do not quote me on that.

IP Logged
Hard Corps

Freedom is worth
facing your fears

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #12 - 09/25/08 at 14:49:24

Coleman- you say NW Missouri?  I just moved to south KC and I think SavageDanny is up in the northland.  We should get together for a Savage ride.

Black 2003, Bare-bones, Somewhere along Route 66, Marine Corps Sergeant
  IP Logged
Tincanman
Serious Thumper

O~`o

Omaha, NE
Reply #13 - 09/25/08 at 15:14:47

I too dislike the tank size and my fix it going to be removing the speedo  from the bike and replacin it with a Dakota Digital in the center of the bars which is a HUGE improvement as you dont have to look clear down at the tank to see whats what. Then splitting the tank and filling in the hole where the speedo was and make it some what wider than stock.

heres what Im putting on but there are others.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=599/cate...

Are we gona ride? or just dic around all day?
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 09/25/08 at 15:45:42

Coleman wrote on 09/25/08 at 13:51:25:
I know that I read in another thread somewhere that the tank behind you is "Safe" but I don't know if I'd like gas in a container behind me. Granted having a gas can between my legs really isn't any safer but still.

One of my somewhat concerns about an extra tank is that I may not always want it there. Can you remove it with ease? I would only really need the big tank a few times a month so.

Somewhere on the site they have quick connects.  And depending on the way you mount it, could be fairly easy to remove.

Safe? the aluminum is thicker than the tank.  (maybe that's why it's only a 3 gal tank?)  Most likely, if the tank is hit, it will be launched.  They look like they are well made.

Other options, Kawa VN750 or so tank is supposed to 4 something gal's.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/05/24 at 13:30:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bigger Gas Tank

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.