Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cutting out at full throttle (Read 142 times)
502z
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cutting out at full throttle
06/19/08 at 11:13:07

I just bought a 2000 savage with only 6800 miles.  Obviously not ridden very much.  I live at 7000 feet and have noticed it smells like it is running rich.  The set screw on the carburator is staring at me just wanting to be changed.  I'm guessing tightening the screw would lean the mixture out?  My second problem is this.  I had it at 65-70 miles per hour yesterday on the freeway and had the engine cut and come right back after a few seconds while still at speed.  This happened 7 or 8 times during a five minute period.  Think the carb needs a once over?

IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Re: Cutting out at full throttle
Reply #1 - 06/19/08 at 11:21:40

Yes, IN is leaner.  Did the PO rejet it?  Sounds like you may need to change the jets if your altitude was much higher than where the PO owned it.

May have something clogged in it.  Run some SeaFoam carb cleaner through it first.  I usually do 1/2 a can per tankful, 2 times, to run the whole can through.  Also, check your vacuum line from your carb to the tank petcock for cracks/splits.  You can switch to PRI and run it to see if it keeps doing it.  If it does, probably a vacuum issue.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
502z
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/19/08 at 12:56:41

How much should I turn the set screw in to lean it out.  Should I be listening for it to sputter then back it off.  Or...should I leave it to a tech so I don't burn up my engine...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 06/19/08 at 13:24:29

No one can tell exactly, you have to feel for yourself.
This setting is only used at idle, so you can go to far wrong with it.

Typically you gently turn the screw all the way in, and then back it out 1 1/2 to 2 turns.

Higher altitudes will allow you to go leaner in both jet and adjustment.
If you take a trip away from your lofty perch, take into consideration that you may have to rejet for better performance.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 06/20/08 at 09:23:14

UI wonder if the screen in the tank is flowing well enough to keep the bowl full at full throttle.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #5 - 08/02/08 at 21:08:26

502, if you're still out there, I live at 6500' (my bike is in my signature).  I left my carb stock.  My air screw is out 1 3/4 turns from fully seated.  My bike runs quite well at those settings.  I get only an occasional backfire and it farts (gently) on about 75% of the shutdowns.  No big deal.  The plug looks good and I get 58 smph in strictly urban stop-and-go riding.  The exhaust header is a mild gold color.

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #6 - 08/04/08 at 22:19:22

When I first got my bike, it would stall (not just cut out) at full throttle due to a leaky petcock vacuum hose.  I later converted the petcock to manual for another similar reason.  I would check that vacuum hose and replace it with heavy fuel line if needed.

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/16/24 at 02:02:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cutting out at full throttle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.