Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HELP! WTH is up with the carb settings? (Read 111 times)
cornfuzed

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

grinnin from coast to coast
HELP! WTH is up with the carb settings?
06/10/08 at 09:12:28

Ok for you gurus out there... I have put in a 150 Main and reduced the spacer to half. Now the question i have is which is which? Im at a loss with Lancers quick carb setting guide.
::Start with the pilot adjusting screw at 1.5 turns out as a reference point, and count as you turn in and out so you always know where you are during the process.  Everything is done and referenced in the "# of turns out".  ---Whats the pilot screw? is that the screw on the left? 1.5 turns out from what? where it is now or turn it all the way in?

Where does the idle circuit screw come in?
---turn idle up a little so you have a smooth fast idle--

Is that done with the idle circuit screw on the upper right side?
What is all the way in? Turning all the way to the right or all the way left??

Help me pull my  head oudda me (_|_) ... and thank you kindly

"The Finest battle implement ever devised." Ung the Caveman on the M1 Pointy Stick
2008 S40
1996 Royal Star
  IP Logged
cornfuzed

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: HELP! WTH is up with the carb settings?
Reply #1 - 06/10/08 at 09:38:58

Ok the idle screw on the right...i had it all the way to the right...motor idling somewhat high.. turned 3/4 back from that ... still a little high... turned the screw on the left slowly till the motor idled fine. now going down the road and you left off the throttle ... i get blurple blurple blurple... am i too rich ? which screw would i do what with to get that blurpling gone?

thanks again

"The Finest battle implement ever devised." Ung the Caveman on the M1 Pointy Stick
2008 S40
1996 Royal Star
  IP Logged
cornfuzed

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/10/08 at 09:52:52

Re: Please help!, think she's running lean, missin
Reply #1 - 05/23/08 at 18:39:36 Alert Board Moderator about this Post! Quote
I'm new to the savage so I cant help much but if you think its lean you can richen it up. Theres either a screw or brass plug on the upper right corner of the carb viewed from the bikes right side. If theres the plug just pry it off to get to the screw. clockwise is lean, counterclockwise is rich.

aha! so counter clockwise is rich..i.e. all the way to the right eh! so i need to go about another 1/2 turn on that screw an mess with the idle on the left??
Am i on the right track?

Thanks Burnpgh by the way for that little blurb

2008 S40
1996 Royal Star
  IP Logged
cornfuzed

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/10/08 at 10:09:29

if you can't tell the difference when you adjust the idle circuit, your probably idling too high already, turn down the idle speed, then adjust the idle circuit. idle speed adj is on the opposite side, large screw. :Rigidchop

am i getting closer?

2008 S40
1996 Royal Star
  IP Logged
cornfuzed

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/11/08 at 04:57:48

...loud bang when running down the road now and let off the throttle....but at higher speeds it seems...no pop at shutdown now... thoughts ... ideas??? anyone... Buhler....Buuhhler...

2008 S40
1996 Royal Star
  IP Logged
Moofed
Alliance Member

...and the engine
just gleams...

Bloomington, Indiana
Reply #5 - 06/11/08 at 06:37:13

I'm guessing you haven't had any replies yet because your posts are a little hard to make sense of.  For starters, if you are going to quote somebody, put them like so: Code:
 [quote]Hello! [/quote] 

Now, with that out of the way...
If there's no pop at shutdown then the pilot screw on the right of the bike should be good.  Keep in mind if it is more than 3 whole turns out (counter clockwise) then you need a bigger pilot jet.  Probably not the case if you still have the stock exhaust, but worth mentioning.

I think bangs when you left off the throttle to shift are the fault of the needle/white spacer.  But you said you already went to a half spacer, so maybe not.

It might help to provide a coplete list of how it is setup right now.

WWW Moofed MoofedOne   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 06/11/08 at 06:58:25

but how do you get the right quote you want?

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 06/11/08 at 07:58:40

You must of been run over and trashed by the MM thread.
cornfuzed wrote on 06/10/08 at 09:12:28:
 ---Whats the pilot screw? is that the screw on the left? 1.5 turns out from what? where it is now or turn it all the way in?

The pilot screw or idle mixture screw (several other names too) will adjust the idle fuel/air ratio.  It's located on the right side as you sit on the bike.  Get down and look at the carb, on the upper right hand side there's either a brass plug or a recessed screw head for a straight blade.  Turn this screw ClockWise (CW) gentlely in until it bottoms out.  Becareful, some have turned it in so hard it's gotten stuck.  Now turn it out (or CounterCW) 1 1/2 turns.
OK?
Next is the idle speed screw, it's on the left side.  Big knurl headed thing that you can turn with your fingers.  If you idle speed is too high, it'll make the idle mixture hard to get right as the carb won't be closed off enough to make it work.  1000 to 1200 rpm's.

WWW   IP Logged
meck

Woonsocket, RI
Reply #8 - 06/11/08 at 08:22:45

bill67 wrote on 06/11/08 at 06:58:25:
 but how do you get the right quote you want?

Just hit the Quote button on the upper right side of the post you want to quote.

1988 LS650
  IP Logged
cornfuzed

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/11/08 at 08:22:58

verslagen1 wrote on 06/11/08 at 07:58:40:
You must of been run over and trashed by the MM thread.
cornfuzed wrote on 06/10/08 at 09:12:28:
 ---Whats the pilot screw? is that the screw on the left? 1.5 turns out from what? where it is now or turn it all the way in?

The pilot screw or idle mixture screw (several other names too) will adjust the idle fuel/air ratio.  It's located on the right side as you sit on the bike.  Get down and look at the carb, on the upper right hand side there's either a brass plug or a recessed screw head for a straight blade.  Turn this screw ClockWise (CW) gentlely in until it bottoms out.  Becareful, some have turned it in so hard it's gotten stuck.  Now turn it out (or CounterCW) 1 1/2 turns.
OK?
Next is the idle speed screw, it's on the left side.  Big knurl headed thing that you can turn with your fingers.  If you idle speed is too high, it'll make the idle mixture hard to get right as the carb won't be closed off enough to make it work.  1000 to 1200 rpm's.

Thank you for the reply...Ook now its making sense what is what...now i can follow the guide... whew thanks.. anyway my current setup is :stock muff:stock air: white spacer mod with another washer in place just a shy less than half the original spacer: 145 main pulled and a 150 main installed. Now i can try the guide.    

Next time ill try to be more explanitory of my current situation and my desired situation... oh yeah an now i know what the Quote button is up in the right Wink

2008 S40
1996 Royal Star
  IP Logged
cornfuzed

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 06/11/08 at 08:49:21

wooo! I think im in business! sounds much much better now... thanks again for your help  Cool

2008 S40
1996 Royal Star
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 05:57:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › HELP! WTH is up with the carb settings?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.