Send Topic Print
Taking off the Belt (Read 157 times)
punkid33
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Taking off the Belt
05/07/08 at 07:50:18

I am making some modifications to my 86 savage.
Currently in the process of removing the rear fender in order to put in a custom seat further back so my legs can be outstretched.

My problem is that in order to remove the back fender I need to take of the back tire to reach the nuts.  I have the tire as far forward as possible but the belt is still to taught to remove easily.  

What is the correct way to remove the belt?

Thanks everyone who can provide some insight!
Much appreciated.

IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Re: Taking off the Belt
Reply #1 - 05/07/08 at 08:28:44

I would suggest moving the controls rather than the seat.  Forum member EdL makes a set of plates for this purpose.  I found that with them I sit on the front of the seat rather than on the curved back part.  Also my legs have more room.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1202177312

IP Logged
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Reply #2 - 05/07/08 at 09:51:50

punkid33 wrote on 05/07/08 at 07:50:18:
I am making some modifications to my 86 savage.
Currently in the process of removing the rear fender in order to put in a custom seat further back so my legs can be outstretched.

My problem is that in order to remove the back fender I need to take of the back tire to reach the nuts.  I have the tire as far forward as possible but the belt is still to taught to remove easily.  

What is the correct way to remove the belt?

Thanks everyone who can provide some insight!
Much appreciated.

Have you taken the chrome belt guards off? It is possible to get the belt off with them still on but can be a bit tricky.

I managed it by raising the height of the rear of the bike so the wheel could drop a bit and move further forward.

IP Logged
punkid33
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/07/08 at 11:04:27

Yea the guards are off and I have the axle free and moved the wheel as far forward as possible which isnt that far.  The belt is still way to taught for me to get it off.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #4 - 05/07/08 at 11:22:12

Is the axle free.. or is it OFF?  I think you need to take it all the way out to get enough movement forward to get the belt off.

Copied from another message:
"After that loosen belt adjusters, loosen axle and move rear wheel forward. Pull the rear axle out and the spacers, be sure to remove back brake cable adjuster and barrel. Now you can pull out the bottom shock bolt(pulley side) and swing shock out of the way to remove belt."

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Reply #5 - 05/07/08 at 12:13:41

Yes you need to remove the axle.

The wheel should have moved an inch or more, the tire should be hitting the swingarm "cross bracket(?)" which stops it going any further.

If the belt is still too tight, and you have it jacked up under the swingarm, try lifting the rear by a few more inches and you'll get more clearance for the wheel to move forwards.

I get my belt off that way without removing the guards or the shock.

IP Logged
punkid33
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/07/08 at 14:21:46

Ok I will remove the axle tonight.  I thought there might be away that I could remove the belt without removing the axle, hence a real easy on off for the tire.

Thanks guys!

IP Logged
viper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 05/07/08 at 18:30:33

When you pull axel shaft out keep track of spacer location I don't beleve left and right are of the same size (one may be longer then the other) as you take the wheel assy. off sprocket and brake assy will locate themselves on the floor don't let sproket hit the floor could chip outter collar. good luck
Ride on Ride safe
Viper

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #8 - 05/08/08 at 07:21:39

I always want to remove as little as possible each time I work on anything. So, I've had my rear fender off twice (and of course back on) without removing the back tire. Disconnect one end of each of your shocks, lift the back of the bike some and you can get at all the bolts. You have to do some cussin' and knuckle bumping but it's do-able.

Just don't forget to unhook all those pesky light wires and electrical stuff under the rear seat.

Jack

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:30:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Taking off the Belt

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.