Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I got a question about exhaust pipe blueing (Read 128 times)
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
I got a question about exhaust pipe blueing
04/03/08 at 06:04:31

I know what causes it.  But how can I get rid of it.  I think there is a cleaner/polish that will remove it and make it a lot longer before "cleanings".  But I don't what it s.  Any help?

Because I can!
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: I got a question about exhaust pipe blueing
Reply #1 - 04/03/08 at 06:17:56

I've used Blue-Away with some sucess.   Like most of the other cleaners/ treaters, they only go so far.  It just a chemical reaction that un-does the blue.  Not sure if the blueing is oxidzation or not.  Also, if your blueing is into the deep blue / purple range, the result may not be as desired (not fully back to pure silver chrome)

Remember, if you don't address the lean-ness the bluing will come back after the treatment.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Blue-Away-Motorcycle-Exhaust-Pipe-Polish-2-5-o...

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 04/03/08 at 06:24:53

heck, lot's of people think the blueing or yellowing is really cool.  means you've been riding it.  "shoot, man last time I saw yr bike the pipe was all chrome.  Looks like you've been riding the snot out of it!"  "Yes, Yes I have."

or you could put header wrap on it to simply hide it.  or get it powder coated.

How much elbow grease is involved w/ the blue away?

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 04/03/08 at 06:50:50

vroom1776 wrote on 04/03/08 at 06:24:53:
How much elbow grease is involved w/ the blue away?

You have to use a cloth wetted with water, then work the liquid (about as thick as thin Pancake batter) into the cloth and start rubbing.  I think the stuff reacts with the water.....    You can see some reaction after a minute or two, but it could take a bunch more.  My old factory Muff (2001) had a brown hue at the back where it starts to tapper down.  It took care of that in maybe two applications and maybe ten minutes rubbing total.    Note: my header pipe never had any bluing.....  since I'm second owner, I'm not sure why....  

Edit: the stuff is expensive,  $15-$18 for a little bottle

---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #4 - 04/03/08 at 07:28:50

Does blue-away also work on yellowing pipes?

IP Logged
Spydre
YaBB Newbies

Boston, MA
Reply #5 - 04/03/08 at 07:48:10

What causes the bluing?  I ride a 98 Savage that I bought last year and at 4500 miles, it's already bluing with some hints of purple.  I thought the bluing occurred after 15000+ miles or so. Not this early.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 04/03/08 at 08:51:35

Blueing will occur anytime the pipe is overheated.
Mild overheat, yellow/gold/brown

Overheat is caused by lean carb adjustment.

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #7 - 04/03/08 at 09:33:07

Keith_T wrote on 04/03/08 at 07:28:50:
Does blue-away also work on yellowing pipes?

yes, wrks fairly nicely on yellowed pipes.   Follow the directions on the bottle to the tee.  

EDIT: there are other products out there.  My local stealership sells the Blue-away cheaper than eBay.  They also sell some kind of towelette that you get wet then use.  Can't remember the brand name though.... Huh

---
  IP Logged
Cory

Ride Hard Or Stay
Home

OHIO
Reply #8 - 04/03/08 at 09:59:06

I use a concentrated powder called BLUE JOB works great takes out blueing and bronzing aswell as anything you may have got burnt onto the pipe great stuff i picked it up for 10 bucks .

2000 Savage , Ebc Brakes , HD Dyna Muffler , Diamond Grips , Diamond Mirrors , Leather Saddlebags
crimsonhand1977   IP Logged
nervekiler

ridin in the rain

vancouver, wa
Reply #9 - 04/03/08 at 11:02:17

i like my blue pipe despite the fact that it means iw as runnign way too lean for way too long.
the pipe is actually a nice purple into gold the onyl part that sucks is i touched it and now theres purple blotches here an there for some reason the oil from my fingers effected the coloring.

ive got my bike running less lean now but i like the blue.. my bike is not a pretty bike and the purple/blue definately is a step in the direction i wanna take my bike as far as cosmetics.. i like the rodder/bobber type ill hopefully have it how i want it by end of summer for all the see.

Frank T. Cartoys jantzen beach

97 savage 650 - HD pipes, carb spacer mod, idle screw adjusted, 152.5/55 jets, K&N air filter, big crank battery, chopped up a bit
WWW dirtbikehero mryummm   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:31:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I got a question about exhaust pipe blueing

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.