Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Final decision time (Read 368 times)
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Final decision time
04/02/08 at 10:52:48

I finally got to ride the Savage I've been looking at since February for 30 minutes.  After lifting the bars my upper body was totally comfortable.  My leg position was okay.  Up to 50 mph the bike felt fine powerwise.  It got a little buzzy after that.  I had it up to 70 though and it did it no problem.  In the meantime I have also negotiated a deal on a new leftover 06 Kawasaki Vulcan 900.  That bike will likely be perfect for me, but it is almost 3 times the cost of the Savage.  What to do!

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Re: Final decision time
Reply #1 - 04/02/08 at 10:56:49

Buy the Savage.  Invest $400.00 into new shocks, carb mods and a seat lift, then pocket the rest....

The more I ride my Savage, the happier I am I didn't get the bigger bikes I was looking at.

The Savage gets better gas mileage, handles 100 times better in traffic, is a breeze to park, is the least stolen bike in America (per  insurace industry survey) and its paid for!

The last part is what I like best.  I'm not forking out $200.00 a month for the next 4 years for a bike that is normally only ridden 6 months out of the year! (ok, so i ride mine year round,  but hey, I'm nuts!)

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 04/02/08 at 11:11:25

The 650 rips across town quickly, nimble & light, easy on the gas money. When gas gets to $5.00 a gallon, the MPG difference between the 650 & the 900 will make ya cry.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
furious70

{insert text here}

Chicago
Reply #3 - 04/02/08 at 11:21:10

From all reports the 900's are great bikes.  I'd actually like to see one in the garage instead of the savage for my wife.  You get efi, plenty of smooth, usable power, and a bike that can reasonably go cross country and 2 up with no issues.

The Savage does have advantages, mostly what is mentioned here already, great first bike, great for short/slight folks, good mpg.  IMO it is not a bike to comfortably ride all day on or at interstate speed (having done it with my wife's).
Depends on your usage, if you just want to cruise around town and have some fun on the bike, no need to spend more than for the savage if it fits you.  If you are, or want to become a long triper and are a decent sized guy, want the efi vs. a carb that does need periodic work (again, from experience), or want to go 2 up for more than a very short trip, the 900 is a great bike.
Not trying to rain on the parade of Savage, just my opinion of them having one in the garage.  Other people on this site have gone to great lengths to modify the Savage to fit them, so much so that if you took the time and $ both into account, a different bike wouldn't have looked so expensive.

Looks like you're in the Chicagoland area too maybe?  The latest Cyclefocus mag had some leftover 900's listed at $5995 which should mean you can do even better in person.  Those will probably sell quickly with the weather turning now.  I'd have a hard time turning down a 900 for $5500 new vs any Savage if you had the money in the bank.

2002 Kawasaki Mean Streak (mine)
1999 Suzuki Savage (hers)
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #4 - 04/02/08 at 11:23:46

58.823mpg on my last tank.... Thats still using 'winter blend' gas.  Those numbers will be back in the low 60s by memorial day...

I ask some of the guys I ride with what they get.  My buddys Nomad gets a whopping 39mpg.  Even though it has a 5.5 gallon tank, he has to fill up just as often as I do.  The difference is, my bill is around $6.00 and his is over $30.00.

IP Logged
furious70

{insert text here}

Chicago
Reply #5 - 04/02/08 at 11:28:20

c'mon now....let's keep the truth in numbers.  60mpg vs. 39 is 35% advantage, not the 500% you indicate with the $6 and $30.

When taking it easy on a group ride, I tickle upper 40's on my Mean Streak.  I have to beat it pretty hard to drop below 40.  And it's a heck of a lot more bike than the savage or 900.

Doing occasional pleasure cruising (80% city riding) my wife's Savage hovers around 50mpg.  I'm sure it'd do better running a full tank down the road at 55-60, but she doesn't do that kind of riding.

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #6 - 04/02/08 at 11:33:13

furious70 wrote on 04/02/08 at 11:21:10:
The Savage does have advantages, mostly what is mentioned here already, great first bike, great for short/slight folks, good mpg.  IMO it is not a bike to comfortably ride all day on or at interstate speed (having done it with my wife's).

I have put over 17,000 miles on my Savage since July of last year.  My longest one-day ride was from Pittsburgh to Kings Mt., Nc.  It took me a little over 11 hours to get there, but my Savage had no trouble handling the trip.

You speak of the guys modding their savages and spending big $$$ to do so?  Shocks:  $250.00 shipped (progressive suspension) Carb mods: $40.00 for K&N filter, spacer mod (free), $8.00 for new jets.  Seat mod: #7 bottle stoppers, $2.99.  Exhaust: Harley take off pipe, $30.00.  Long Distance comfort:  Factory engine guard, $89.00 Kuyikan offset highway pegs, $105.00.

So, what, for $525.00, I have a Savage that has plenty of power to ride with the big boys (I know it does because I do it all the time), gets nearly twice the mileage that the big boys do, is more comfortable to ride than most stock bikes and its paid for.  Heck, most serious riders spend more than I have in total on my bike for just a seat!

Don't be doggin the Savage.  Its a better bike than most people give it credit for.......

IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #7 - 04/02/08 at 11:35:25

My 02 Nomad 1500 usually got 38 mpg.  Seems like guys on the 900's are getting 42-45.

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #8 - 04/02/08 at 11:39:56

Fat finger on the figure.  The 2 is right next to the 3 on the keypad....  
4.925 gallons of premium gas at $3.699 per gallon was $18.21.  Rounded off, thats nearly $20.00.  

There is a big difference in the operating cost between the two.....  I remember when $20.00 would fill my Accord.  Now it barely buys 5 gallons of premium.....

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #9 - 04/02/08 at 11:44:54

I look at it this way.  I have just over $2100.00 wrapped up in my bike.  Thats everything, purchase price, performance mods, comfort mods, everything.

I know guys that I ride with that took brand new $12,000 Vstars and put that much in upgrades onto brand new bikes!  (Mustang seats, vance&hines pipes, ECU upgrade for fuel injection, wind screen, engine guard, highway pegs, chrome accents, etc)

IP Logged
furious70

{insert text here}

Chicago
Reply #10 - 04/02/08 at 11:54:14

If you look at my post I said time and $.  I am a hobbyist, and am comfortable doing my own work on most things.  Seems like a lot of people on this site are the same way.  Not all people are like that.    You'd be into days of labor at a shop to have all that done if you don't have the skills, tools, or garage to do it in.  That's what I was trying to say, and it should be factored into the decision for anyone who isn't happy with the bike in stock form.
Shop rate is about $75/hr wherever you go, it adds up in a real hurry.

I'm not doggin the bike, just trying to give an objective opinion of the bike in it's stock form and the time investment to do some of the stuff shown on this site.  Remember, I have one in the garage, it is _exactly_ the right bike for my wife to have started out on.

35% mpg advantage

you can go ~97mi on $6 @ $3.69/gal @60mpg
He needs 2.48gal to go that 97mi, totalling $9.17

if you're using cheap gas it's a little wider spread if he's on premium.

IP Logged
furious70

{insert text here}

Chicago
Reply #11 - 04/02/08 at 11:57:44

sticker on a NEW s40 is $4400.  Prices on used vs. new bikes aren't that relavant.

And, not trying to offend anyone.  Just trying to take a little edge off the emotional aspect of a purchase here, and of some diehards true to the bike.  If you go to a forum for the 900's you'll be told why you shouldn't even consider the Savage I'm sure  Grin

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #12 - 04/02/08 at 12:33:39

Keith_T wrote on 04/02/08 at 10:52:48:
I finally got to ride the Savage I've been looking at since February for 30 minutes.  After lifting the bars my upper body was totally comfortable.  My leg position was okay.  Up to 50 mph the bike felt fine powerwise.  It got a little buzzy after that.  I had it up to 70 though and it did it no problem.  In the meantime I have also negotiated a deal on a new leftover 06 Kawasaki Vulcan 900.  That bike will likely be perfect for me, but it is almost 3 times the cost of the Savage.  What to do!

So.....  the 900 would give more power and may be more comfortable.  The 650 would probably be cheaper to maintain.  It's not an easy decision.  

Did you get insurance costs yet?   The LS650 is one of the cheaper bike to insure.

Also, I know the LS650 has been unchanged for long time so getting used parts is fairly easy......

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #13 - 04/02/08 at 12:44:47

It cost me about $10/yr more to insure my 2000 W650 Kawasaki, than the Savage. It handles just as good, only weighs 70lbs more and gets 70mpg. It handles the expressway with no problem at 75mph with 4,000rpm left. Plenty left for passing, NOW, not in a half a mile.. No problems with wind around semi's. I paid $3000 for my first one, and am in the "decision" thing about a second 2000 W650, with 5000 miles for $4000. I hate to see the Savage sold, or any other of my bikes, but need to thin my herd of bikes down. The Savage is a great bike if used for what it was intended, 55-65mph and solo rider. I like the comfort and extra power of the W650 on long hauls at freeway speed, with a passenger. Just to reiterate, I love my Savage, but not on the interstate.      The decision is yours, depending on what you want to do with the bike. Don't you just love dilemas???  Hutch

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #14 - 04/02/08 at 13:00:49

[quote author=5E27476B69613B0A0 link=1207158768/0#12 date=1207164819]Keith_T wrote on 04/02/08 at 10:52:48:
Did you get insurance costs yet?   The LS650 is one of the cheaper bike to insure.

The 900 would be $250 a year.  That's about a cheap as it gets in Chicago.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:22:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Final decision time

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.