Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Looking for someone get my S40 running great (Read 335 times)
SpeedyG
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Virginia
Looking for someone get my S40 running great
03/17/08 at 06:33:07

Hi all,

Well I've had my '07 S40 for almost a year now.  I've got 3,200 miles on her.  I've been reading and learning a lot here and even occassionally posting.  

I'm looking for someone who has done work on their Savage/S40 and has it running great to get mine running better.  Of course I would buy all parts, pay for labor, and be an extra set of unexperienced hands if need be.  I'm in northern Virginia (Woodbridge).  

What I want fixed:  
1.  Get rid of the loud gun-shot like backfire on decleration.  
2.  Make it sound like a motorcycle (don't want it real loud, just want it to sound better).

What has been done:  When the bike was a few months old, the dealer did some adjustment to the carb to help with warm-up time and it also got rid of the backfire at shutoff.  

So, what do I need to have done to get a better sounding bike and one that doesn't backfire on decleration?  I've read about white spacer modification/removal, adjusting mixture screws, new pipe, jet kit, new air filter.  Would I need to do all this to attain my goals?  If I can meet my two goals and gain more power that'd be great too, but I really just want the two things I listed above fixed.  

Thanks,
Colleen

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Re: Looking for someone get my S40 running great
Reply #1 - 03/17/08 at 06:45:23

You're on the right track.

The spacer mod, rejetting the carb, swapping the exhaust and adding the K&N drop in are the best things you can do for your bike.  It really wakes up the performance (especially on the freeway).

What you are planning to do will also reduce or eliminate the backfiring and will make the bike sound better.

What, for $125.00 in parts and an hour or two of your time, its like getting a whole new bike....

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 03/17/08 at 09:03:38

Backfire on decel is most likely exhaust leak.  Check the header bolts.

If you replace the muffler for the sound you want, then the other place it can leak will be taken care of.

The cheap way to go is a HD take off, go talk to the HD parts counter guy.

WWW   IP Logged
joebothehobo

Ride like a ghost.

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #3 - 03/17/08 at 09:20:24

If youre willing to pay a couple extra dollars to save some work though, certain mufflers (MAC, maybe others?) are adjustable so you dont have to touch any other part of the bike if youre not comfortable with that. Should fix the noise and maybe the backfire like verslagen said if the leak is between the pipe and the muffler.

'91 Suzuki GS500E
'98 Subaru Outback.
Robertomoe is my bro.
  IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #4 - 03/17/08 at 10:25:02

I've only ever replaced the exhaust and adjusted the idle mix screw.  Even that change caused the bike to behave differently (in a great way).

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 03/17/08 at 11:27:33

Speedy, did you find someone to work on your bike or did you look in the mirror?

Sooner or later you'll need to hit lancer up for a set of jets, look for him in the market place.

WWW   IP Logged
SpeedyG
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Virginia
Reply #6 - 03/17/08 at 11:46:43

Thanks for the muffler suggestion guys.  I bet I can change the muffler.  Maybe I will start there and see if I'm satisfied with that.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #7 - 03/17/08 at 12:39:35

verslagen1 wrote on 03/17/08 at 11:27:33:
Speedy, did you find someone to work on your bike or did you look in the mirror?

Sooner or later you'll need to hit lancer up for a set of jets, look for him in the market place.

i was going to use the look in the mirror remark but ya beat me to it.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #8 - 03/17/08 at 14:38:45

if you change muff with anything that flows freer youll have to rejet the carb..stealership can do that for you $$$$

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #9 - 03/17/08 at 19:33:12

Or you can look in the tech section as Savage Wahine sent us pictures of her carb repairs and there used to be some discussion of her muffler removal project. You can do she did !! Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
SpeedyG
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Virginia
Reply #10 - 03/18/08 at 06:13:43

If changing the air flow by putting on a new muffler requires me to do carb work, it's not happing by me.  I'm smart enough to look in the mirror and know that I'm not attempting to take the carb apart and do the changes and get it back together and running just right.  I've heard enough stories to know what a job that really is; pictures in the tech section or not.

IP Logged
joebothehobo

Ride like a ghost.

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #11 - 03/18/08 at 09:17:50

Again, you can buy pipes where you modify the pipe to the bike, not vice versa. But sometimes all you need to do to the carb is play with the idle mixture screw; a very quick, straightforward process that is very easy to fix even if you TOTALLY mess up. Really, dont be afraid to get your hands dirty. You can always pay someone to do it for you once you've tried and given up.

'91 Suzuki GS500E
'98 Subaru Outback.
Robertomoe is my bro.
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #12 - 03/18/08 at 13:51:39

joebothehobo wrote on 03/18/08 at 09:17:50:
Again, you can buy pipes where you modify the pipe to the bike, not vice versa. But sometimes all you need to do to the carb is play with the idle mixture screw; a very quick, straightforward process that is very easy to fix even if you TOTALLY mess up. Really, dont be afraid to get your hands dirty. You can always pay someone to do it for you once you've tried and given up.

Huh, easy for you to say when YOU don't have a non-working bike with a carb in pices on the floor. Shocked
I have not touched MY carb for that reason. My Savage is my main transportation.  Smiley

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #13 - 03/19/08 at 09:53:56

SpeedyG,
  I'm willing to show you how, but... I'm not sure you're willing to go 200 miles.   By the time you pay for gas, you could probably get it done locally.

Woodbridge,VA to Emmaus, PA (east-side of PA), 199 miles according Yahoo maps.  

I've got the tools, the garage, a lift and a guest bedroom.......

T.Mack

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #14 - 03/20/08 at 03:22:43

..... and that my friends is why this site is rated "Great" in the eyes of motorcycledom.

Oldfeller

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 06:00:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Looking for someone get my S40 running great

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.