Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
National Cycle Deflector DX on a 2007 S40? (Read 218 times)
Prophet_10

TANSTAAFL

Dekalb, IL
National Cycle Deflector DX on a 2007 S40?
03/12/08 at 09:19:56

Hi,

I got the old tax refund and picked up a bunch of gear/accessories for the S40.

I just got a National Cycle Deflector DX :

http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/cycle/large_photo?mv_session_id=yIEIGEZG&m...

and as I started assembling the mounts I realized that I can't fit them to my handle bars for lack of clearance between the master cyl. and riser.  I called them yesterday and they said that they only use one size (width) of pivot mounts and only have different handle bar sizes.

When I look closely at that picture linked above, it seems like there is a thinner mount on the bar, but I can't tell for sure.  

Has anyone successfully done this?  I thought Paladin had a similar windshield, but I don't think it is on an S40.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

WWW   IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Re: National Cycle Deflector DX on a 2007 S40?
Reply #1 - 03/12/08 at 09:27:11

How much distance do you need, an inch or so?  Loosen your throttle assembly and brake assembly and slid them toward the outside of the handlebars till you have enough space.  Should be 2 allen/screws on each assembly, you only need to loosen 1 enough to get it to slide.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Prophet_10

TANSTAAFL

Dekalb, IL
Reply #2 - 03/12/08 at 11:21:24

Gary On A Savage wrote on 03/12/08 at 09:27:11:
Loosen your throttle assembly and brake assembly and slid them toward the outside of the handlebars till you have enough space.

Really?  I would never have thought to do that.  Would I need to slide out the left grip/clutch lever as well to keep things balanced and symmetrical?

Thanks

WWW   IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #3 - 03/12/08 at 11:26:23

Prophet_10 wrote on 03/12/08 at 11:21:24:
Loosen your throttle assembly and brake assembly and slid them toward the outside of the handlebars till you have enough space.

Really?  I would never have thought to do that.  Would I need to slide out the left grip/clutch lever as well to keep things balanced and symmetrical?

Thanks

I wouldn't and the above only works for a small adjustment of an inch or so.  But I would think that should be enough to get your windshield on the handlebars.  You probably won't even notice the adjustment.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 03/12/08 at 11:30:51

For a short time, I put the drags on mine and had no room for mounts either.  Ended up putting one mount on the inside of the riser.

Later changed out the drags for wider bar.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Prophet_10

TANSTAAFL

Dekalb, IL
Reply #5 - 03/19/08 at 10:00:32

How much distance do you need, an inch or so?  Loosen your throttle assembly and brake assembly and slid them toward the outside of the handlebars till you have enough space.  Should be 2 allen/screws on each assembly, you only need to loosen 1 enough to get it to slide.

I took these pictures last night to show how much room I have and the size of the bracket.  Does it look like there is enough room to move the throttle/brake?

Right Pivot mount:

Left Pivot Mount:

Right side clearance:

Thanks!

WWW   IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #6 - 03/19/08 at 11:36:41

I put one of the National Cycle larger, fairing type windshields on mine and love it. Just be careful with their clamps that go on the handle bars. They're plastic. I had mine all put together, sitting in the garage, and was walking around the bike to admire my work when I hear a load "click" sound. About a half hour after the last use of a tool on the job one of the bar clamps snapped of it's own volition. And if they hadn't been charging $25 for the pair I would have order some new ones. As it is it seemed to hold up okay at highway speeds so I left it. On the bigger shields there's bottom mounts to the fork as well so I'm guessing that helped keep mine in place with the broken top clamp.

I've since taken the metal clamps and braces from a different shield, drilled the plastic windshield and mounted those to the National piece. Not a quick remove anymore, but solid as a rock.

Jack

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #7 - 03/19/08 at 12:44:03

Prophet_10 wrote on 03/12/08 at 09:19:56:
...I just got a National Cycle Deflector DX .... and as I started assembling the mounts I realized that I can't fit them to my handle bars for lack of clearance between the master cyl. and riser.....

I thought Paladin had a similar windshield, but I don't think it is on an S40....

I have the Nat.Cycle Flyscreen, which uses a pair of fork mounts, and
I have the Nat.Cycle StreetShield, which has a four point mounting system, two on the forks and two on the bars.  The ones on the bars are about an inch wide and I have them mounted on the rising part of the buckhorns.

The photo you linked to shows some sort of two-point mount, just the handlebar.

WWW   IP Logged
Prophet_10

TANSTAAFL

Dekalb, IL
Reply #8 - 03/19/08 at 13:00:25

Paladin. wrote on 03/19/08 at 12:44:03:
The photo you linked to shows some sort of two-point mount, just the handlebar.  

Right, just the two brackets which I later posted photos of.  They are 1" and are too small to go on the riser.

WWW   IP Logged
Prophet_10

TANSTAAFL

Dekalb, IL
Reply #9 - 04/09/08 at 09:25:09

Follow Up:

After talking with Steve at National Cycle, we concluded that we can't get the Deflector DX to mount properly to an S40, so I sent it back and bought the Suzuki Sport windshield.

I put it on last night, but have not had a chance to try it out yet.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 12:21:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › National Cycle Deflector DX on a 2007 S40?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.