Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Cam and followers gone on an 8000 mile bike (Read 1316 times)
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Re: Cam and followers gone on an 8000 mile bike
Reply #15 - 02/08/08 at 11:01:34

Not much stuff comes up for the Savage on ebay in  the UK, so this little lot was a rare find.

Freshly rebuilt wheel, re-chromed everything apart from the hub and drum which have been metallic powder-coated.
It looks even better in the flesh than on the shots, I'm really looking forward to getting this bike put back together.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #16 - 02/08/08 at 13:11:28

[quote author=7D41575D784342360 link=1200747403/0#14 date=1202496126]Savage_Greg wrote on 02/05/08 at 15:51:35:
I prefer Autoglym, but any good wax will protect the alloy.  I even use wax on exhaust chrome.

Me too...which reminds me of the topic about "smells", but I digress Tongue

That rear wheel looks great.  That powder coat and chrome is beautiful.

IP Logged
gj859
Alliance Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

winchester ky
Reply #17 - 02/10/08 at 08:36:03

KwakNut wrote on 02/08/08 at 10:42:06:
Savage_Greg wrote on 02/05/08 at 15:51:35:
How did you get that good polish on those covers?  Are they clearcoated?
Just old fashioned 8 inch buffing wheels and course/medium/fine polishing soaps.  A whole lot quicker than going down the 400/800/1200 grade wet'n'dry work.  I like to finish with Alu Belgom and a soft rag - I think that's the best metal polish for the finishing touch, seems a bit finer than most of the others.
I don't like coating the alloy when polished - too much risk that it will chip/peel/discolour and look worse than ever.  I just lightly buff it with metal polish every few weeks once it's done, just a half hour job to go over the whole bike, and a good excuse to crack open a beer or two.
Belgom has some wax in it, so when you've polished there is some protection against moisture, but I always put put a good auto body wax on top of the polished alloy as well - I prefer Autoglym, but any good wax will protect the alloy.  I even use wax on exhaust chrome.

KwakNut, can you give us a supplier of the polishing soaps and alu belgom?  Thanks.

We're at the mercy of time, and time don't got no mercy.
  IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #18 - 02/10/08 at 11:42:10

gj859 wrote on 02/10/08 at 08:36:03:
KwakNut, can you give us a supplier of the polishing soaps and alu belgom?  Thanks.
I buy AluBelgom off the shelf in my local motor factor, it's widely available in the UK.  It's not much better than Autoglym or Maas, but I think it gives a slightly better finish.  It's a bit of a cult product among custom bike builders in the UK.  if you can't get any over there, let me know and I can post you some cheap enough - though I think it's about $20 a bottle.

This is a link to the last polishing gear I bought - picked it up on ebay. My old buffing wheels were a bit dog-eared, so I bought a full new kit, same kit and supplier as this link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/8-Bench-Grinder-Polishing-Kit-Buffing-Accessories_W0QQi...

I'm sure you'll find something similar West of the Atlantic, just try to be sure that whatever kit you buy has a Calico finishing wheel - it's down to the quality of the cotton.

Also, if you don't already have an 8" bench grinder and are looking to buy one, make sure you get the most powerful one you can.  polishing is hard work on the electric motor and you'll keep slowing a 250-350W wheel down.  If you can get something that's at least 500W, that's better - the more power you have, the less the wheels will slow.

If you have heavy-duty 3-phase electrics, you're laughing all the way to shiny results.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
gj859
Alliance Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

winchester ky
Reply #19 - 02/10/08 at 12:24:56

Thank you, thank you very much.

We're at the mercy of time, and time don't got no mercy.
  IP Logged
Willaction
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 03/15/18 at 15:30:33

Kwaknut, did widening the exhaughst port make a noticeable difference?

IP Logged
snels516

Reply #21 - 03/16/18 at 03:30:46

This thread is ten years old. OP hasn’t logged in since 2012. Maybe try sending him an email

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #22 - 03/16/18 at 10:18:21

Willaction wrote on 03/15/18 at 15:30:33:
Kwaknut, did widening the exhaughst port make a noticeable difference?

I have done a street port job on a couple. Yes, there is a noticeable difference, but not a huge difference with that alone. It is along the lines of what you will get by replacing the stock muffler with a Sportster muffler. But you will really feel the difference after the port work if you change the pipe and muffler, open the airbox (see the Oldfeller thread about his cheap air filter) and rejet to compensate for the increased flow. That lets the beast out of the cage then.  Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 04:10:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam and followers gone on an 8000 mile bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.