Send Topic Print
Help (Read 110 times)
Dougyfresh89
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Help
01/15/08 at 06:28:44

HI i am working on a 95 savage and i droped my gas tank and busted the plastic cover that goes around the speedomiter. By any chance would anyone know were i could get this peice. i have called the local dealer and they said the part has been discontinued.. Any help finding this part will be greatly appriciated
                                                             Thanks, Doug

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Help
Reply #1 - 01/15/08 at 06:47:45

Aren't dealers just full of crap?  So inept.  Ask for one for a later year if you have to...

Or try this one at Ron Ayers...

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_0271/speedometer_e3_e33/speedometer_e3_e33....

IP Logged
viper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 01/15/08 at 07:00:10

tHERES ONE ON EBAY lOOK UP SPEEDOMETER LS 650
Good luck
Viper

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #3 - 01/15/08 at 07:01:12

You know Greg,  its not impossible that the guy at the dealer was telling the truth.

At any point in the last 15 years, parts have been updated and old part numbers superceded by new ones.

It's likely that whoever the author spoke with on the phone punched in the part number from the 1995 LS650 parts fische and discovered it to indeed be discontinued.  However, a quick check of later model years would reveal a new part number that is still available to order.

It happens to me all the time in my line of work. Old part numbers are obsoleted, even though the component is still in production.  Idiot logistics people see the 'discontinued' label and give up there.  Its sad, but thats what you get when you HAVE to hire unqualified people just to avoid discrimination suits.....

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 01/15/08 at 09:40:36

So......  yep,  looks like they replaced  bezels.   I think the differences are the molded in lights from year to year. But, I thoght from the mid nineties on they were the same.... L-turn,  Hi Beam & R-turn...  

Our local stealership has a "OEM Parts Finder" tool that lists the Suzuki part numbers  Note: prices are on the high side.      Sort of the same as Greg provided but has the "replaces" feature.

When looking at the '95 Speedo,  here's the PN's it shows:

Item: 6-1
HOOD, METER   PN: 34151-24B81
(replaces 34151-24B80)  
$59.47

Item: 6-2 HOOD, METER   PN: 34151-24B51  
(replaces 34151-24B50)  
$59.47

Sorry,  I'm not sure which bezel is for which light config.  Think it's the 24B81 .

for the '95 see:
http://www.blackmanscycle.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?category=Motorcycles&m...

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #5 - 01/15/08 at 09:58:59

Dougyfresh89 wrote on 01/15/08 at 06:28:44:
HI i am working on a 95 savage and i droped my gas tank and busted the plastic cover that goes around the speedomiter. By any chance would anyone know were i could get this peice. i have called the local dealer and they said the part has been discontinued.. Any help finding this part will be greatly appriciated
                                                             Thanks, Doug

I sent you a PM about an extra one I have in my garage.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 01/15/08 at 11:34:44

skrapiron -FSO wrote on 01/15/08 at 07:01:12:
You know Greg,  its not impossible that the guy at the dealer was telling the truth.

At any point in the last 15 years, parts have been updated and old part numbers superceded by new ones.

It's likely that whoever the author spoke with on the phone punched in the part number from the 1995 LS650 parts fische and discovered it to indeed be discontinued.  However, a quick check of later model years would reveal a new part number that is still available to order.

It happens to me all the time in my line of work. Old part numbers are obsoleted, even though the component is still in production.  Idiot logistics people see the 'discontinued' label and give up there.  Its sad, but thats what you get when you HAVE to hire unqualified people just to avoid discrimination suits.....

You're being generous, but you mention some of the reasons I say that.  Updated/superseded  numbers, inexperienced parts people, and general laziness to think beyond the computer screen are my reasons.  After all, his dealer said it was discontinued, but I go to Ron Ayers and find one...most of Ron Ayers parts come from Suzuki directly.

Plus there is a general lack of interest in the lower cost product lines (probably a management attitude) that creates an attitude of who cares.  Why would they care if you can't get the parts?  They'd prefer that you "trade up".  They make their money in new sales and service anyway.

Trust me, I didn't become a skeptic without getting extensive experience in dealer BS Tongue

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 20:39:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.