Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Chromed engine casing (Read 157 times)
azsavagerider
YaBB Newbies

arizona
Chromed engine casing
01/13/08 at 12:43:25

I am new to this and have an 05 S40 with the white spacer removed and a drop in K&N filter installed.  I have drilled out the brass plug and adjusted the screw to match the filter.

I also have a Xenon H4 headlight, well worth the money by the way.  I was wondering how any of you on here who have the outside casing of the engine, which on mine is painted black with aluminum or chrome edges, to be all polished chrome.  I would love to do this but do not want to spend an arm and a leg on it.  Let me know how this is accomplished and if it can be done on an 05.  Thanks,

Live life without regrets because at one time that is what you wanted.
  IP Logged
longmi01
YaBB Newbies

Des Moines, IA
Re: Chromed engine casing
Reply #1 - 01/13/08 at 18:33:43

Don't know how much work it's gonna be for you to get all that black paint off, but here's a good demonstration of what a little elbow grease can do once you've got the bare aluminum.  (I'm pretty impressed)

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1182464837

IP Logged
DesertCruisers
YaBB Newbies

Ask me how to join
Desert Cruisers in
Arizona

Reply #2 - 01/15/08 at 17:05:45

What I have seen on this site goes far beyond just sanding down the aluminum and polishing it.  This is more like buying a custom chrome cover or something to that affect.

Jeff,

Moderator and creator of Desert Cruisers riding group in Phoenix Arizona.
  IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #3 - 01/15/08 at 18:08:22

I have chrome covers on my spare engine  I am hoping to get them re-chromed and put on
Steve

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 01/15/08 at 18:11:00

The case is Aluminum, which polishes up nicely.

The engine paint its hardcore stuff.  It has to be, the engine gets real hot and can get oil spills.  Plus road stones...  so, it can be hard to get off.  

Also, Chrome needs a farily smooth surface as a base so the polishing is almost needed anyway.  And, chrome plating is pricey.....

If you still want to attempt it,  try some spray can paint remover.  The local Auto-Zone here carries Aircraft paint stripper which works geat.    You may want to try is somewhere hidden so that if it doesn't work, it can be touched up and still not be noticed....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 01/15/08 at 18:49:30

I'd suggest buying some used cases and getting those chromed, instead of removing the paint on your stock ones.  You could probably get more for the '06 covers than you'd pay for some older ones.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 20:22:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Chromed engine casing

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.