Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Removing the timing plug (Read 318 times)
DanGill

Removing the timing plug
01/09/08 at 14:52:50

I have not been able to get the timing port plug off my '06 S40. I bought a large washer and ground the thickness to fit the slot snugly, then tried to turn it with vice grips and a crescent wrench. I bent the washer. Is there a trick to this? Cold engine? Warm engine and ice on the plug? A better tool?

Swapped the S40 on a Shadow Spirit 1100
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Removing the timing plug
Reply #1 - 01/09/08 at 15:24:09

There are actually tools to do that.  I do not recommend using a large screwdriver and hammer to turn it, but I have done it that way too.  It will turn if you tap it that way, but you can scratch or crack the aluminum.

This is the one that I have from Ron Ayers.

IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #2 - 01/09/08 at 15:56:17

i used a metal ruler, and a crescent wrench, worked perfectly.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #3 - 01/09/08 at 16:14:35

I used a new cold chisel and a crescent wrench and it came off ok, but the correct tool is best to avoid damage
Steve

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 01/09/08 at 17:02:05

some threads need a slight thighting b4 loosing..correct tool is always best..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #5 - 01/09/08 at 17:55:58

WD-40/ CRC/ Liquid Wrench (pick one) the night before you want to work on it.   Tap lightly after spraying to help work it in.  Next day, clean the slot with degreaser or alcohol.  Tap again , then try. Tighten tiny bit then loosen.   It may be corroded so you may need to do the tighten loosen tighten  loosen drill many times.  Once it starts to move, don't force it too much.  The back & forth method works , just need paitence.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 01/09/08 at 20:32:49

I don't think the lubes will work there's an o-ring.

Get greg's tool if you want to get it off w/o damage.

If you don't care, then 2 big screwdrivers with a little space inbetween and a cresent wrench.  I tried the washer bit, worst than a screwdriver and hammer.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 01/09/08 at 22:53:52

Honestly, I used a large screwdriver as a "drift punch" for years, until one day I cracked the plug in the process.  Couldn't even see the crack because it was in the slot.  When I was done, I put it back together (a friend's bike too) and everything seemed just fine...that is until he called me from his house to tell me about the oil leak on his way home.

After that I made one but it kept bending and would slip.  So finally I bought one.  Funny too, the wrench costs just about the same as a new plug...about $15.

It ain't easy learning how to be a "Handyman" Tongue

IP Logged
DanGill

Reply #8 - 01/10/08 at 06:43:51

Thanks, I'll get the tool. Fortunately, the washer didn't bugger up the slot. It just didn't get the job done. I'll use some liquid wrench first, too.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 01/10/08 at 08:34:11

DanGill wrote on 01/10/08 at 06:43:51:
Thanks, I'll get the tool. Fortunately, the washer didn't bugger up the slot. It just didn't get the job done. I'll use some liquid wrench first, too.

BTW - the tool has 3 different sizes on it, so if you get another bike (Heaven forbid), it'll work there too.

IP Logged
DanGill

Reply #10 - 01/10/08 at 11:44:12

Savage_Greg wrote on 01/10/08 at 08:34:11:

BTW - the tool has 3 different sizes on it, so if you get another bike (Heaven forbid), it'll work there too.

Saw that. Actually, I had so much trouble turning it, that I was not sure the proper tool would do the job. Right now I'm off my feet following arthroscopic knee surgery. Back aboard soon.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 01/10/08 at 20:03:53

DanGill wrote on 01/10/08 at 11:44:12:
Savage_Greg wrote on 01/10/08 at 08:34:11:

Saw that. Actually, I had so much trouble turning it, that I was not sure the proper tool would do the job. Right now I'm off my feet following arthroscopic knee surgery. Back aboard soon.

Ouch!  I had arthroscopic shoulder surgery almost 2 years ago.  I got that one...I "felt" your pain, so to speak.  That really cramped both my riding and wrenching for well over 6 months.  Take it easy on the knee, at least I didn't need a shoulder to walk.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 01/12/08 at 22:46:50

I found a large washer & ground it to fit the slot, ran a long bolt thru, with a washer on each side. I had to grind on the washers to relieve them enough so they didnt interfere with the main washer going in the slot. That "Backed up" the washer near the load & at the hole, it doesnt bend.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 01/13/08 at 06:01:18

I made this tool a long time ago, but it still was able to bend on some really tight plugs.  I used some scraps of aluminum that I had laying around.

IP Logged
DanGill

Reply #14 - 01/25/08 at 06:08:20

I got the MotionPro wrench, and the large blade was too thick to fit into the slot. I ground the sides of it down a bit, but it still seemed like it wasn't going into the slot all the way. I ended up using a hammer and large screwdriver to drift the plug loose, then turned it out with the next smaller blade. When I re-checked the valves I was able to use the medium blade to open the plug and re-seat it.

It seems like none of the blades really fits well. But it'll do.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 20:26:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Removing the timing plug

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.