Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jardine Muffler REjet??  What size? (Read 142 times)
Kix
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southeast US
Jardine Muffler REjet??  What size?
01/26/08 at 22:23:49

Hello Guys!  I'm new to your group and new to Suzukis too.  I just bought a 1998 LS650 Savage.  Only about 15,000 miles on it and seems to be in great condition.  That is with one exception.  The first owner (I'm 3rd) put on a Jardine muffler and advised 2nd owner that it ran rich since that install.  In reading the repair manual I read that other than stock muffler can cause engine to run lean and cause mini-"explosions" in the muffler on shut down.  Mine does this and for this reason I believe it's running either rich or lean.  I haven't looked at the plug yet to know but will.  Have any of you had this problem and if so did you re-jet and if so, what size or number jet did you use.  I live in Florida and operate basically at sea-level.  I will appreciate your help and advice.  Thanks  KIX
PS   I originally posted this is the Tech forum.  Sorry!

KIX '98 Savage with Jardine
  IP Logged
gj859
Alliance Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

winchester ky
Re: Jardine Muffler REjet??  What size?
Reply #1 - 01/27/08 at 03:43:19

Welcome Kix    You really do need to get a clymers manual and one of greg's cd's. Between the two, you can do about anything to the savage. SavageWahine posted a great carb guide in tech. You can order a set of jets from LANCER for a very reasonable price. Probably if you put in the 55 piolt and 150 main, you'll be close. On adjusting piolt air I read an old post from LANCER that said if you'll speed the idle speed up about double normal speed it will make it much easier to hear the change, then lower idle speed. Also you need to do the white spacer mod, it's very easy. Ride safe.

We're at the mercy of time, and time don't got no mercy.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 01/27/08 at 06:29:57

Kix wrote on 01/26/08 at 22:23:49:
 The first owner (I'm 3rd) put on a Jardine muffler and advised 2nd owner that it ran rich since that install.  In reading the repair manual I read that other than stock muffler can cause engine to run lean and cause mini-"explosions" in the muffler on shut down.  Mine does this and for this reason I believe it's running either rich or lean.  

The install of the Jardine, a freer flowing exhaust, will make it run lean if that was all that was done and you do need to tune the mixture afterward the install.

Search around on the posts here and the tech section - you'll find the 3 carb areas you need to deal with - the mainjet - 152.5 works well for me at sea level w/a Jardine, 1/2 white spacer this effects the midrange - since this model of carb does not have an adjustable needle any longer we normally just sand down the spacer that lifts the needle a bit s get a richer midrange, and the idle mixture/pilot jet - on this you need to pull the brass plug on the carb that is covering the mixture screw - likely start at 2 turns out from closed and adjust from there - if you get close to 3 turns out bump up the pilot jet

read up here and few others in the tech section before you do anything - like keeping the slide clean, change the phillips for hex head stainless and such.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1098869040

on the backfires - if you tune this carb correct they will be gone with the exception a very rare little grunt - unless you have an exhaust leak at the head to header or at the header to muffler - if you have leaks there you will forever have backfires until you fix these     

IP Logged
Kix
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southeast US
Reply #3 - 01/27/08 at 08:20:05

Thanks for the replies.  
I've already got a Clymer's and 'll get a CD from Greg.  

IP Logged
Kix
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southeast US
Reply #4 - 01/27/08 at 15:52:48

With information I got here I found the idle mixture screw on the carb.  Apparently the first owner found it too as the plug was already gone. The slot in the brass screw had been pretty boogered up to the point that I can't twist the screw in any direction.  Looks like I'll need to remove the carb and do some surgery on it to try to free up the idle mixture adjusting screw.  Anyone have any thoughts on this new problem?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 01/28/08 at 05:40:37

Kix wrote on 01/27/08 at 15:52:48:
With information I got here I found the idle mixture screw on the carb.  Apparently the first owner found it too as the plug was already gone. The slot in the brass screw had been pretty boogered up to the point that I can't twist the screw in any direction.  Looks like I'll need to remove the carb and do some surgery on it to try to free up the idle mixture adjusting screw.  Anyone have any thoughts on this new problem?

After removing the carb, soak the pilot air adjusting screw with some Liquid Wrench (or something similar) for a day or so, the use an Easy-out Set to drill and remove the screw.  When doing this, be sure you have a sturdy yet firmly cushioned surface for the carb to lay on, so when you start GENTLY tapping down the Easy-out remover tool into the tiny hole you drilled for it in the screw head, the carb body will not be damaged or distorted.

I found this little Impact Driver Set at Harbor Freight a while back.  Yes, it is a cheap tool set, but it is small and works great for carburetors.  A gentle tap or two with a small hammer will usually remove most any old screw, even if messed up a bit.  I have only had to use the easy out one time on an outside screw and once on a pilot jet. (yea ... that pilot jet was a real trick ! )
This set is a 1/4" drive so the bits are small, and the body of the driver is about the size of a fat pen...really easy to use and perfect for the small screws on a carb.

7 PC. REVERSIBLE IMPACT DRIVER SET  
Strike with a hammer to tighten or loosen difficult screws, nuts and bolts.
Chrome plated driver
Heat treated steel bits
3/4'' striking face
Reversible
Includes 1/4'' hex impact driver, #1 and #2 Phillips bit, 3/16'' slotted bit, 3/16''
ITEM 93481-1VGA
$5.99   Email link to a friend

IP Logged
Kix
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southeast US
Reply #6 - 01/28/08 at 07:55:02

Thanks LANCER.   Wher can I get a replacement idle mixture screw once I get the old one out?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 20:33:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Jardine Muffler REjet??  What size?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.