Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Removing the timing plug (Read 318 times)
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Removing the timing plug
Reply #15 - 01/25/08 at 09:57:51

DanGill wrote on 01/25/08 at 06:08:20:
I got the MotionPro wrench, and the large blade was too thick to fit into the slot. I ground the sides of it down a bit, but it still seemed like it wasn't going into the slot all the way. I ended up using a hammer and large screwdriver to drift the plug loose, then turned it out with the next smaller blade. When I re-checked the valves I was able to use the medium blade to open the plug and re-seat it.

It seems like none of the blades really fits well. But it'll do.

Hmm, I got the MotionPro wrench and it worked just fine on mine.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #16 - 01/25/08 at 10:32:45

I got the MotionPro wrench, and the large blade was too thick to fit into the slot. I ground the sides of it down a bit, but it still seemed like it wasn't going into the slot all the way. I ended up using a hammer and large screwdriver to drift the plug loose, then turned it out with the next smaller blade. When I re-checked the valves I was able to use the medium blade to open the plug and re-seat it.

Sorry that you were disappointed, but I guess that with any aftermarket tool you are gonna get a little bit of incompatibility...sort of a "Jack of All, and Master of None".  The difference would be the getting the Suzuki special tool, but it'll come with a special price.

I just took this photo while working on Nervkiler's bike the other day.  The middle one worked just fine, which is a contrast to the tool marks left by someone's previous attempts to remove the plug with some other tool.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #17 - 01/25/08 at 11:11:31

I made a tool with some angle iron and a grinder.  pic in adjsuting your valves.

V

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #18 - 01/26/08 at 06:42:47

vroom1776 wrote on 01/25/08 at 11:11:31:
I made a tool with some angle iron and a grinder.  pic in adjsuting your valves.

V

Whatever works is what I say.  

Just be forewarned by someone that's done it.  You can crack that plug if using a screw driver and hammer.  The aluminum in the bottom of that slot is thinner than the rest of the plug.

IP Logged
DanGill

Reply #19 - 01/27/08 at 14:26:32

Savage_Greg wrote on 01/25/08 at 10:32:45:

Sorry that you were disappointed, but I guess that with any aftermarket tool you are gonna get a little bit of incompatibility...sort of a "Jack of All, and Master of None".  The difference would be the getting the Suzuki special tool, but it'll come with a special price.

I just took this photo while working on Nervkiler's bike the other day.  The middle one worked just fine, which is a contrast to the tool marks left by someone's previous attempts to remove the plug with some other tool.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/gmdinusa/Timing_Plug_Tool_1.jpg

That is the one I have. I really expected the large blade to fit better. My experience was the same as yours - the middle one works, but it could fit a lot better. Such is life.

Swapped the S40 on a Shadow Spirit 1100
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #20 - 01/27/08 at 14:44:50

I guess that what you gotta realize is that you bought an aftermarket tool that is designed to fit hundreds, if not thousands of bikes over a few decades.

Be kinda hard to have one blade for each particular bike, and either way, you still have 2 spare blades.
Tongue

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #21 - 01/27/08 at 19:21:44

Surely I'm not the only person here to own slot-head sockets?

IIRC their original purpose was for some kind of auto suspension
adjustment or something like that. They were available in a few
sizes (thickness).

Got them back in the 70s because of the same kind of slotted covers on the old Norton. Don't know what happened to the whitworth wrenches and sockets. My brother probably kept those since he kept his Norton a lot longer.

Guess it wouldn't take a lot of welding and grinding to take some flat bar and sockets and DIY some slot-head sockets.

IP Logged
DanGill

Reply #22 - 01/28/08 at 05:37:38

Savage_Greg wrote on 01/27/08 at 14:44:50:
I guess that what you gotta realize is that you bought an aftermarket tool that is designed to fit hundreds, if not thousands of bikes over a few decades.

Be kinda hard to have one blade for each particular bike, and either way, you still have 2 spare blades.
Tongue

Yeah, I got that. Haven't these manufacturers ever heard of standardization? Grin

Swapped the S40 on a Shadow Spirit 1100
  IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #23 - 01/28/08 at 06:42:37

DanGill wrote on 01/28/08 at 05:37:38:

Tongue

Yeah, I got that. Haven't these manufacturers ever heard of standardization? Grin
Just be thankful that Mr Whitworth came up with the idea of standardising threads - rather than have every thread for every machine made anywhere in the world all turned to custom size and pitch.
But some of them still haven't learned with timing plugs - better ones just have a standard size hex key hole in the middle.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #24 - 01/28/08 at 06:48:28

DanGill wrote on 01/28/08 at 05:37:38:

Tongue

Yeah, that's it.  Maybe they could just start making all bikes identical.  Same everything.  Just can't have everything the way you want, I guess.

Anyway, now that you have the wrench, whenever you decide to buy a different bike, take the wrench with you and find one that fits Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #25 - 01/28/08 at 07:38:10

You could just give the old man who used the shotgun on the lug nut a call. I am sure he would gladly come "Help" you out... if you can stand his kinda help.

As for standardization, we have seen people all perform identically, as if standardized & synchronized for years. When it comes to screwing UP & screwing US, those in Washington DC operate flawlessy in unison.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 22:35:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Removing the timing plug

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.