Extra oil gauge (Read 150 times)
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Extra oil gauge
11/12/07 at 05:59:49

I'd been tinkering with the idea to fit this next to the 2" tach on the handlebars

courtesy of www.holden.co.uk

It comes in three styles and costs some 90 Pounds Sterling (150$) plus s/h, but that is not the real issue...
(the thing is all mechanical, old style)  Cheesy and can be adapted to read oil temperature instead of water temperature (unless you drink tea...)

...where on earth should I plug for the capillary oil feed to the oil pressure gauge,
and where should I drill (drill??? Shocked) the sump for the oil temp sender?
???

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Extra oil gauge
Reply #1 - 11/12/07 at 07:42:17

[glow=blue,2,300]Like this.... [/glow]

It's a mechanical gauge and I use the "test port" which faces front on  the case, just behind the brake pedal.  (see factory service manual)

Problem with the gauge  you show is that the Savage / S40 has a low oil pressure system.  Spec calls for 10 psig at 3000 rpm, 10W-40 oil, with warm engine.  On the guage shown, you wouldn't be able to see much.  Mine is a 30 psig gauge, but probably could use a 40 psig because of cold weather start up, the thick oil gives me 30 psig.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #2 - 11/12/07 at 15:38:13

Yeah, the savage runs low oil pressure. The last time I had a oil pressure gauge on my '02 it only read 12 psi at 1500 rpm and that was with a hot engine. Not sure where to hook up the gauge though, the front plug has a thread that is almost impossible to find. Real nice combination gauge hope you can get it to work.  Grin

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 11/13/07 at 07:11:18

front plug is where i installed sender for oil temp gauge..
had a machine shop make($80) the fitting(3/4" brass stock) long enuff for a tee off if i wanted to add oil cooler..have decided cooler not needed.

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 11/13/07 at 08:02:29

That's the right place to connect...between oil pump and filter.  Like the gauge idea too.  My tach is kinda lonely 8)

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #5 - 11/13/07 at 10:38:12

The test port plug is a 14mm bolt.  Interesting, it's the same thread as many spark plugs.   Since I'm not in europe and have a limit selection of metric adapters,  I made an adapter.  

Went to Auto-Zone and got a 14 mm "Spark Plug Non-Fouler" , Took an old spark plug from a lawnmower and took out the ceramic.  Drilled it and tapped to 1/8" NPT (included a little griding to size it better).  Then used a "1/8" npt to barbed"  fitting  and ran a tube to the gauge.    I probably could have skipped the "Spark Plug Non-Fouler" but I wanted a good grip for my socket.    Used a good deal of hi temp sealer.  Still have a tiny leak.

I think if I had access to a welder, I would have capped the "Spark Plug Non-Fouler" and dirlled and tapped that.   Less joints so less chance of leaking.

Do you want pictures?

TMack

ADDITION:  Got the gauge on Flea-bay.

---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Polar_Pilot

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 11/13/07 at 15:57:22

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Do you want pictures?

TMack

Oh yes - pictures would be very interesting to see

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #7 - 11/13/07 at 16:34:00

The test port plug is a 14mm bolt.  Interesting, it's the same thread as many spark plugs.   Since I'm not in europe and have a limit selection of metric adapters,  I made an adapter.  

Went to Auto-Zone and got a 14 mm "Spark Plug Non-Fouler" , Took an old spark plug from a lawnmower and took out the ceramic.  Drilled it and tapped to 1/8" NPT (included a little griding to size it better).  Then used a "1/8" npt to barbed"  fitting  and ran a tube to the gauge.    I probably could have skipped the "Spark Plug Non-Fouler" but I wanted a good grip for my socket.    Used a good deal of hi temp sealer.  Still have a tiny leak.

I think if I had access to a welder, I would have capped the "Spark Plug Non-Fouler" and dirlled and tapped that.   Less joints so less chance of leaking.

Do you want pictures?

TMack

necessity IS the mother of invention..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #8 - 11/13/07 at 19:14:21

Never thought of using a metric spark plug to get the right thread fit, it's a great idea. I took the stock plug that fits in the front hole and drilled it out. Then I brazed a piece of 3/8" brake tubing in it to make a hose n1pple to hook up an oil cooler. Still havent got around to getting an oil temp or pressure gauge.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #9 - 11/14/07 at 05:49:30

You can check with Earl's for straight metric fittings.  They have several options for the back side.  You will find Earl's in Europe seems to offer more than Earl's US.

Any problems finding them let me know via PM.  I have several of their catalogs and web sites.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 11/14/07 at 07:05:39

I'm still wondering why if you got a gage do you need an extra one?   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #11 - 11/14/07 at 07:25:11

Smokin Blue,
  Thanks.  Your Earl's suggestion gave me the right words to Yahoo.  Found the below site.  Just have to go measure the old plug to see if it/s M14-1.5 or M14-1.25.

http://www.egauges.com/vdo_acce.asp?Subgroup=Metric_Adapter_Bushings

Also,  took some pict's.  Just have to get them up on the webserver.

TMack

---
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #12 - 11/14/07 at 09:39:53

As promised pictures.

Three shots of the guage mount.  I have the oil pressure gauge setup so that it's face is nearly in line with the tach's face.  

see bigger pict at:
http://www.users.fast.net/~tommack/gauge1.JPG

Notice the "jam" nut holding gauge to metal plate.

see bigger pict at:
http://www.users.fast.net/~tommack/gauge2.JPG

No, your eye's aren't going bad, the oil press gauge bracket is tilted slightly.  The tach had to mount straight up & down , so I had to tilt the bracket for the oil press guage to fit.  I purchaed the handle bar clamp from Ebay seller "baroncustom"
see: http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZbaroncustom

see bigger pict at:
http://www.users.fast.net/~tommack/gauge2a.JPG

My home made metric thread to NPT adaptor. Note: I plan to get correct adaptor from website I found today : http://www.egauges.com/vdo_acce.asp?Subgroup=Metric_Adapter_Bushings/

see bigger pict at:
http://www.users.fast.net/~tommack/gauge3.JPG

Oil line wire tied to frame so that when riding it doesn't flap around and hit the exhaust.

see bigger pict at:
http://www.users.fast.net/~tommack/gauge4.JPG

You can see the oil line runing behind the reflector and under the horn.  I used a cable strap to hoild it place attached at the screw for reflector.

see bigger pict at:
http://www.users.fast.net/~tommack/gauge5.JPG

The Gauge, 30 psig.  Ebay special (got 3 for price of 1).  It's not oil filled so it does vibrate.  Maybe when I go to a 40 psi gauge I will hunt down an oil filled one.

see bigger pict at:
http://www.users.fast.net/~tommack/gauge6.JPG

The Spark plug extender thing I used to make thread adaptor (2 per package) (note: I plan to order a regular adapter from website listed above.

see bigger pict at:
http://www.users.fast.net/~tommack/gauge7.JPG

---
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #13 - 11/14/07 at 19:11:47

Just measured, the test port plug thread is M14-1.25.

That's $5.29 (USD) plus S&H at the website above.

Mpescatori,  DO you understand what you need to make a guage work?

Sorry Thumperclone,  that a far cry from the $80 you spent.

---
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #14 - 11/15/07 at 01:26:52

Just measured, the test port plug thread is M14-1.25.

Mpescatori,  DO you understand what you need to make a guage work?

I do now...  Smiley I never even imagined there bas a "test port" (oil gauge port)
behind the brake pedal   Cheesy

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 08:40:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Extra oil gauge

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.