Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Weak spark (Read 30 times)
cFLOW

life is great

Bootheel MO
Weak spark
11/04/07 at 07:25:29

I have a delimea my motor wont turn start it turns overs, but wont start. pulled the plug and it has a weak spark that seems to weaken after each crank. I'm thinking its the battery but I cant test myself, multi meter dead. The starter also seems to slowing after a few cranks I charged the battery over night but its still doing the same thing. does this sound like the battery to anyone else or something else.  Thanks

97 savage: BOBJOB
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Weak spark
Reply #1 - 11/04/07 at 07:30:53

Boy everything is having problems.  First, I'd put some new batteries in that meter so you can check the bike's battery.

The battery sounds to be about shot if you charged it and the starter turns slow with the plug out of it.

Actually, I think that you know where to start, just by reading this Tongue

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 11/04/07 at 09:02:01

With a bad battery, you'll be able to turn over but there won't be any juice left for sparking.

You can try push starting.

WWW   IP Logged
cFLOW

life is great

Bootheel MO
Reply #3 - 11/04/07 at 11:33:29

Its the battery, 11 volts so its dead.

97 savage: BOBJOB
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #4 - 11/04/07 at 11:36:10

That may have been the easiest thread yet  Grin

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #5 - 11/04/07 at 16:16:09

cFLOW wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Its the battery, 11 volts so its dead.

isn't the battery only 12 volts?
So that one volt make a difference?

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 11/04/07 at 16:22:26

well when you turn it over the batter is going to drop more.

11 volts says at least 1 cell is dead, maybe 2.

WWW   IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #7 - 11/04/07 at 17:24:10

A battery cell has a voltage of around 0.9-1.2 volts nominally.  Lead-acid batteries tend to have a little less voltage per cell than some others like Nickel-Metal Hydride or Nickel Cadmium...etc.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 11/04/07 at 17:54:41

FYI: from Wikipedia

The following are general voltage ranges for six-cell lead-acid batteries:

Open-circuit (quiescent) at full charge: 12.6 - 12.8 V
Open-circuit at full discharge: 11.8 - 12.0 V
Loaded at full discharge: 10.5 V.
Continuous-preservation (float) charging: 13.8V for gelled electrolyte; 13.5V for AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) and 13.4V for flooded
All voltages are at 20C, and must be adjusted for temperature changes.
Float voltage recommendations vary, according to the manufacturers' recommendation.
Precise (+/- 0.05V) float voltage is critical to longevity; too low (sulfation) is almost as bad as too high (corrosion & electrolyte loss)
Typical (daily) charging: 14.2 - 14.5 V (depending on manufacturer's recommendation)
Equalization charging (for flooded lead acids): 15 - 16 V
Gassing threshold: 14.4 V
After full charge the terminal voltage will drop quickly to 13.2 V and then slowly to 12.6 V.

WWW   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #9 - 11/04/07 at 18:06:54

Some real life numbers from the old auto shop teacher. Open circuit battery voltage with a DVOM (Digital Volt Ohm Meter not analog {meter type} loads the battery slightly so won't work here) should be 12.6 volts. Each cel produces 2.1 volts x 6 = 12.6. if it has just come off a charger or running engine it could be slightly higher. During cranking it should not drop below 9.6 volts at 70 Deg F, in reality it should stay well above 10.5 V if the battery is in good shape and the starter current draw isn't excessive or the engine has mechanical problems. Colder battery temperature may drop down to 7.5 V or so and still be OK. It may not start the engine however as the electronics do not want to not work at about 10 V or less. Broken wires in the cables from the battery, corrosion in the connections, loose connections, and undersize wires all can mean the engine will not crank like it should. If it doesn't crank like it should, it probably won't start. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #10 - 11/04/07 at 19:45:22

To add to the thread...

You could have a "good" battery that is just not fully charged at 10v and still start the bike.

You could have a bad battery at 13.6v and it won't....

Remember batteries are chemical reactions. On common car & bike batteries,  Lead plates sitting in acid.  the chemical reaction creates some volts.   Like Max says, colder less voltage, because cold slows down the reaction.

Common ways batteries wear out:

-  Shorting of the plates which is caused by the Byproduct of the chemical reaction.  Crud builds up on the bottom from the acid eating away the lead.

- Corrosion,  the lead can get covered by corrosion/oxidation if they get discharged too many times.  This causes the battery to deliver less current, but it can have same voltage.  Remember Power (wattage) runs things and power = voltage x current.  If you have voltage but little current, it won't go.  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 11/06/07 at 05:09:44

There's a big word used for the corrosion in a lead acid battery...  is it?

Sulfication or sulfaction?

It's still early Tongue

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #12 - 11/06/07 at 09:44:30

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:

It's still early Tongue

Yea,  I went round and round wondering if corrosion was the right word to use.  Added Oxidation only because I couldn't remember what was in the acid.  But we add water to the battery and it's got O2 in it.  But.....just looked in a dictionary and corrorsion is  " wear away by chemical action" ...  hmmmmmmmm......

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 11/06/07 at 10:01:18

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:

It's still early Tongue

Sulfication is bandied about by the battery charger folks.

WWW   IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #14 - 11/06/07 at 13:30:25

From VT engineering dept.  "The electrical force produced by an electrochemical cell is measured by the cell voltage. Cell voltage depends on the redox reactions occuring in the cell and the concentration of the reactants, but not on the number of electrons passing through the cell: it is an intensive property. The standard voltage E0 of a cell is measured when all reactants are at 25oC and at 1M concentration or 1 atm pressure.

For a copper-zinc cell like

Zn|Zn+2||Cu+2|Cu
the standard cell voltage E0 = 1.101 V.
Since we can split a redox reaction into two parts, we can also define standard voltages for both the oxidation and reduction parts of the reaction, Eox0 and Ered0. We arbitrarily pick the hydrogen reduction half reaction

2H+(aq) + 2e- -> H2(g)
to have Ered0 = 0, and measure all other half reaction voltages in relationship to it.
The oxidation half reactions are just the reaction run in reverse, and the half cell oxidation voltage is just the negative of the reduction voltage. For example:

Reduction: Zn+2(aq) + 2e- -> Zn(s)    Ered0 = -0.762 V
Oxidation: Zn(s) -> Zn+2(aq) + 2e-    Eox0 = 0.762 V
The standard voltage of a cell, E0, is just the sum of the standard voltages of the oxidation and reduction half reactions. This is independent of the number of electrons in the half reaction: if you need to multiply a half reaction by 3 to balance the redox equation, you do not multiply the cell voltage by 3. For example, the zinc-copper cell above is made up of the reactions

Oxidation: Zn(s) -> Zn+2(aq) + 2e-    Eox0 = 0.762 V
Reduction: Cu+2(aq) + 2e- -> Cu(s)    Ered0 = 0.339 V
E0 for the cell is Ered0 + Eox0 = 0.339 + 0.762 = 1.101 V
Example: What is the standard voltage for the cell

Mn|Mn+2||Fe+3|Fe+2
Solution: First, seperate the cell into two half reactions

Oxidation: Mn(s) -> Mn+2(aq) + 2e-
Reduction: Fe+3(aq) + e- -> Fe+2(aq)
The iron reduction has a voltage of 0.769 V. The oxidation of manganese is not listed, but the reduction (reverse reaction) is listed with a reduction voltage of -1.182 V. The oxidation thus has a voltage of +1.182 V
To compute the cell voltage, simply add the two voltages. It doesn't matter that the manganese reaction has two electrons and the iron only one

E0 = Ered0 + Eox0 = 0.769 + 1.182 = 1.951 V"

So, my 0.9-1.2 volt number was the oxidation portion of the reaction, didn't account for the reduction portion...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:15:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Weak spark

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.