How Bizarre? (Read 148 times)
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
How Bizarre?
11/08/07 at 05:04:07

Strange things are afoot here in Pittsbooger.

I took the Savage out for a maintentance ride yesterday (hadn't ridden it since the 1st).  It cranked ok, but was slow to fire (choke on full, fuel to 'on') With some effort, it started, but the idle was slow, even with the choke pulled out.  I let it idle like that for  a few minutes while I finished putting my gear on.

For the most part, the ride was uneventful, if not cold (29*).  I did a 10 mile circuit around the airport and was on my way home when the engine began to sputter.  At a stop sign, the idle became very rough and the engine died when I tried to give it gas.

No problem I thought.  I'm out of gas.  So I switched the petcork to 'res' refired the engine and rode to a gas station.

When I opened the gas cap, I was suprised to find that I still had half of a tank of gas!  

I filled the tank the rest of the way, then started the bike and rode home.  It rest of the ride, it never sputtered and died like before.

When I got home, I pulled the vaccuum tube to check for obviouis damage.  The line was dry and it was securely zip-tied to both ends.

Does it sound like a vaccuum leak to you guys? Even though I could not replicate the failure, would it be in my bets interest to replace that vaccuum line anyway?

Thanks again all!

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: How Bizarre?
Reply #1 - 11/08/07 at 05:53:38

It has some symptoms that indicate a vacuum line problem.

The vacuum line being dry doesn't mean it's good, it just means your petcork diaphram isn't leaking gas back into the line.
To check the vacuum line, you will need to pull both ends off, inspect visually, and check to see if it holds a vacuum.  If ok, I would warm it up a little before putting it back on and putting zip ties/clamps on.  That will help it seal.

IF it happens again, flip the petcork to PRI and see if the bike starts running ok again.  If it does, it will be a better indication of a vacuum/petcork problem.

After my bike sits for an extended time (doesn't happen often), I put it on PRI for a while during starting to make sure there is enough gas in the float chamber and check the external filter for gas flow.  When I put it back on "on", I check to see if the gas flow is "pulsing" as the vacuum opens the petcork.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 11/08/07 at 06:48:42

I've had similar trouble, and now I run on 'res' all the time.  And it happened most when it was less than half a tank.

I think either the rubber gotten hard or the spring has gotten out of where it's supposed to be.  Or you gotta leak.

I got an extra one and will be tearing into it to see what can be done.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #3 - 11/08/07 at 07:03:57

And let's not forget the option of there being gunk floating around in the tank that gets sucked to the fuel filter. Pull the tank, rinse and dump with a little gas. All kinds a stuff can build up in the tank. Maybe even some water condensation from the semi-radical temp changes once the engine warmed up the tank a bit.

You say the problem cleared up some once you filled the tank. Makes me think there may be some "stuff" floating around in there that only causes trouble when there's less gas to dilute or spread it around.

Jack

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #4 - 11/08/07 at 07:22:28

Okay, glad this topic came up because it happened to me for the first time last night!

Was riding to ballet class and turned the corner into the parking lot when the bike just stalled out. I coasted into a parking space and tried to restart with no success. Pulled the choke, turned the pc to PRI and still no start.

Tilted the bike while listening and heard not much sloshing in the tank. Thought the same thing as skrapiron - outta gas, silly girl.

Left it sitting for 3 hours of class time, then tried again. This time PRI on, choke out, started fine.  Rode a mile to the gas station, filled up and found my tank at 1/4 full already. Huh. Usually I can go a lot further on that amount of gas and then PRI for even a few more miles (up to 10).

The only thing that is recently different here is the weather change from 60 to 30F.
So is it the cold causing this?

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 11/08/07 at 08:15:08

Jack_650 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
And let's not forget the option of there being gunk floating around in the tank that gets sucked to the fuel filter. Pull the tank, rinse and dump with a little gas. All kinds a stuff can build up in the tank. Maybe even some water condensation from the semi-radical temp changes once the engine warmed up the tank a bit.

You say the problem cleared up some once you filled the tank. Makes me think there may be some "stuff" floating around in there that only causes trouble when there's less gas to dilute or spread it around.

Jack

Maybe but that petc0ck filter is pretty tall with 2 separate sides, and I think that it would take a lot of gunk to plug it up like that.  If he was 1/2 full, then he wasn't using the lower RES side either.  But since he switched to RES and it started, then he was using the lower side which is where water would be collected if that is the case.

The real test would have been to pull out a phillips screwdriver and check the bowl drain for gas when that happened.  Work backward from there.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 11/08/07 at 08:20:54

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
I've had similar trouble, and now I run on 'res' all the time.  And it happened most when it was less than half a tank.

I think either the rubber gotten hard or the spring has gotten out of where it's supposed to be.  Or you gotta leak.

I got an extra one and will be tearing into it to see what can be done.   Grin

When you get your new CD, check the new petc0ck photos before you rip it apart Tongue

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #7 - 11/08/07 at 08:30:10

This is mysterious intermitted problem that we all seem to experience. Skatnbnc's and my bike are fairly new and we both still have the same problem like everyone else. I think this is an internal mechaniclal problem with the petc0ck. Unless we convert it to manual petc0ck instead of vacumn-operated one, this problem will occur again in the future.

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 11/08/07 at 08:30:18

As Youzguyz said, I'd check the integrity of the vacuum hose.  No cracks etc.
As for Skatnbnc...your bike is too new for vacuum leaks from an old hose, if you ask me.  I just replaced mine after 7 years.  I had a crack, so I didn't wait for trouble.

Yours died and then you coasted, parked, and waited.  Since you were going to class and couldn't check it "right then", I think your problem (if it exists) is different.
Ya know, it seems that these types of posts appear every year at this time.  Right when the weather starts getting cold and people are using their choke...or not using their choke Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 11/08/07 at 08:33:19

Someone ought to drain their carb bowl into a tuna can or something.  Do it with the petc0ck in ON or RES, and see if there's any water in the bowl.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 11/08/07 at 08:38:56

SavageDude wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
This is mysterious intermitted problem that we all seem to experience. Skatnbnc's and my bike are fairly new and we both still have the same problem like everyone else. I think this is an internal mechaniclal problem with the petc0ck. Unless we convert it to manual petc0ck instead of vacumn-operated one, this problem will occur again in the future.

Yes, but if you convert it, then you'll never know for sure will you?  If it ain't broke...

My 7 year old (and my spouse's 6 year) petcock have never caused a problem, and I've even taken mine apart just for the heck of it Tongue

BTW - I work on all kinds of bikes with vacuum operated petc0cks.  I have yet to find a different model that's been "converted".  Why does everyone "knee jerk" on the LS650's?

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #11 - 11/08/07 at 09:50:25

Without looking has everyone who is having trouble with this modified the idle circuit and or jetting? The description also matches symptoms of a MC that is completely warmed up and is running rich with cold fuel in cold air. Rough idle and dying when the throttle is turned could match a flooded engine. It's hard to smell flooding in cold air, because part of the reason it can happen is that the fuel isn't evaporating but staying liquid. The one time this happened to me, I took a minute or two to think, switched to prime, and took off. It wasn't until later that I realized I hadn't pushed the choke all the way in to the run position.

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #12 - 11/08/07 at 10:12:55

mornhm - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Without looking has everyone who is having trouble with this modified the idle circuit and or jetting? The description also matches symptoms of a MC that is completely warmed up and is running rich with cold fuel in cold air.

Sounds like my situation. Bike was still semi-warm having been ridden at lunchtime, but air was very cold and the fuel was cold because I felt it when I straddled the tank!

No mods on my idle or jets.

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #13 - 11/08/07 at 10:19:44

skatnbnc wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Sounds like my situation. Bike was still semi-warm having been ridden at lunchtime, but air was very cold and the fuel was cold because I felt it when I straddled the tank!

No mods on my idle or jets.

On your ride to ballet, did you ever push the choke all the way back in?  If you had left it at the "half way" position, it may have been running too rich when you got to class, causing it to stall.  Pulling it further out would have caused a "no start" like you had.
After 3 hours, you pulled the choke all the way out, and it had cooled enough by then.
Sound reasonable?

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 11/08/07 at 10:31:16

Anyone notice my "Ya know..." comment above?

You are riding a manually controlled bike, meaning that some things aren't done automatically like in a modern car.   Some of us old timers grew up with carburetted cars and know the difference.  Some of those had manual chokes too.

A modern car has control modules that uses air temp and air density to calculate and meter the correct fuel needed for the engine.  As well, the engine maintains a constant temp with the thermostat once it is warmed up.  All this goes on and you never notice it...

When you were riding at lunch, it wasn't as cold as in the evening.  There are also 2 settings for the choke and sometimes if the engine (efficiently air cooled, too) is running slow in cold air you still need to use the 1st choke position anyway.  In other words, the choke isn't always just for starting the bike.  It is for when the engine is cold.  Anytime it is cold!  You have to be the control module.

BTW - it is more comfortable if you straddle the seat instead of the tank Tongue

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:20:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How Bizarre?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.