Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Headlight Housing Short...Help Please (Read 3 times)
zubaz
YaBB Newbies

Zebraskin Pants

Headlight Housing Short...Help Please
10/12/07 at 18:02:41

I have looked through the forum and studied a couple of similar posts but still haven't been able to solve  my problem.

I am on my second day searching for a short that keeps blowing my relay fuse. I have narrowed it down to the headlight housing. Here's what I have found so far.

Bike shorts and blows the top fuse when starting.

I remove the headlight housing and let it hang down. Bike starts fine.

I screw the headlight housing in and bike shorts and blows fuse when I try and start it. It seems to short primarily when the bike is on kickstand and handlebars are toward kickstand.

I cut away most of the plastic wire wraps in and around the headlight looking for a worn or frayed wire and pinch points but everything is in perfect shape. I also don't see any pinch points around the gas tank or anywhere else.

Today I wrapped electical tape around the plastic wraps I had cut away and around as much of the wiring as I could and it seems to start fine.

I am concerned about not being able to find the problem and am increasing worried about the reliability of the bike in general. Not long ago I had the reg/rect die which cost me a battery and the new reg/rect. Not to mention having to leave the dead bike in a bad area of town.

Has anyone had similar problems? Any help would be appreciated as I am at my wits end!

Thanks

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: Headlight Housing Short...Help Please
Reply #1 - 10/12/07 at 19:02:42

Look at the wires coming up from under the tank to the light. When I had my forks out I got the wires on the wrong side and managed to pich them between the forks and the fork stop, Happened when I parked, put the stand down and turned the fork to the left. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 10/13/07 at 05:51:28

Don't forget that the turnsignal wires are in there too.

Does it blow the fuse immediately when the key is turned to On, or does it do it when you push the starter button?

IP Logged
zubaz
YaBB Newbies

Zebraskin Pants

Reply #3 - 10/13/07 at 11:47:56

Only when I push the starter button. The lights come on and everything works fine until I push the starter button, then the fuse blows. It doesn't happen all of the time either.

Thanks for your continued help!

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 10/13/07 at 12:23:25

zubaz wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Only when I push the starter button. The lights come on and everything works fine until I push the starter button, then the fuse blows. It doesn't happen all of the time either.

Thanks for your continued help!

Intermittent is always the head scratcher...

Well, that narrows it down to some specific wires then doesn't it?  The ones coming from the right hand control side for the starter button and kill switch...only as long as you are sure it is behind the headlight.  If not there, then you need to go to the decomp module and the starter relay.

Got a schematic?

IP Logged
zubaz
YaBB Newbies

Zebraskin Pants

Reply #5 - 10/13/07 at 14:26:11

The wiring is in such good shape everywhere that I am leaning toward the decomp module and starter relay instead of a short. Time to dust off the clymer and the multimeter and go to work.

Funny thing is I play guitar in a band and two of my three amplifiers are down due to mystery electrical problems. Sometimes things happen in waves.

Any advice on the docomp module and starter relay would be helpfull. Maybe problems with those can be attributed to the Reg/Rect I had to replace 3,000 miles ago?

Back to the garage on a beautiful fall day!

Thanks again and I will update with anything I can find. All your help is appreciated.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 10/13/07 at 14:42:21

The decomp module isn't gonna be it.  I'll bet on it.  
I just brought it up because it's involved and controls the starter relay.  The starter relay works most of the time, right?

But do make sure that you don't have any starter related wires shorting.  Follow it back from the switch to the module, the relay, and the starter if you need to.  You'll find it if you go by the colors.

Might be good to disconnect the starter at the relay while you test.  Save on fuses and it'll still click anyway.

IP Logged
zubaz
YaBB Newbies

Zebraskin Pants

Reply #7 - 10/13/07 at 18:35:23

Not sure I understand. I just got through unbolting the starter relay. It is the top (relay) fuse that is burning. Would a faulty starter relay burn the fuse?

I am going to bench test the starter relay to see if something is wrong there.

If that is ok, I guess I need to start looking at all of the wires you listed for shorts. I took the starter switch assembly apart and everything looks good there. Everything also looks good coming out of the battery and into the harness. Everything looked great in the headlight and under the tank.

I hesitate to unwrap the whole wiring harness but I guess I may have to.

Thanks again for your help.

IP Logged
zubaz
YaBB Newbies

Zebraskin Pants

Reply #8 - 10/13/07 at 18:36:41

Greg,

I just got your cd in the mail also. It is very well done and worth it.

Thanks,

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 10/13/07 at 22:53:57

Not sure I understand. I just got through unbolting the starter relay. It is the top (relay) fuse that is burning. Would a faulty starter relay burn the fuse?

I am going to bench test the starter relay to see if something is wrong there.

If that is ok, I guess I need to start looking at all of the wires you listed for shorts. I took the starter switch assembly apart and everything looks good there. Everything also looks good coming out of the battery and into the harness. Everything looked great in the headlight and under the tank.

I hesitate to unwrap the whole wiring harness but I guess I may have to.

Thanks again for your help.

The top fuse or the "main" fuse?  Either way, I was just being cautious.  The top one will protect you for the control part of the starter button problem anyway.

I was just suggesting that you remove the cable on the relay in case the short is on that side.  A click is better than smoke Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 10/13/07 at 22:57:46

Greg,

I just got your cd in the mail also. It is very well done and worth it.

Thanks,

Thank you.  Thank you.  Glad to hear.

You will find photos of the inside of the right hand controls, the decomp module, and the starter relay in the electrical folder.  Use those with your manual and I hope that you find the wiring problem....

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:23:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Headlight Housing Short...Help Please

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.