Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Storing my bike for the winter (Read 7 times)
lorenz
Ex Member

Storing my bike for the winter
10/11/07 at 20:21:57

I just got my first bike 6 months ago ('06 s40) and had a great summer with it, but now I've taken the insurance off and moved it into the  if I garage for the winter. I'm planning on turning it over and running it for a bit periodically (say once a month or so) and I'm wondering if I really need to worry about using stabilizer, new oil and pulling the battery.

Also, is their anything I'm forgetting about? I'm in Vancouver so the weather is wet all winter but not very cold if that makes a difference to winter care.

any advice would be appreciated

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: Storing my bike for the winter
Reply #1 - 10/11/07 at 20:36:49

why put it away....  just get a snowmobile suit and ride all winter, thats what i do here in central washington.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #2 - 10/11/07 at 20:58:08

I personally plan on riding all year round, but then I live New Mexico where it is mostly desert and dry.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 10/11/07 at 22:04:00

pair of good gloves also, nothing like a sunny colorado winter day when theres no ice..last year think there was only a 10 day stretch when i didnt ride

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #4 - 10/12/07 at 01:45:45

lorenz wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I just got my first bike 6 months ago ('06 s40) and had a great summer with it, but now I've taken the insurance off and moved it into the  if I garage for the winter. I'm planning on turning it over and running it for a bit periodically (say once a month or so) and I'm wondering if I really need to worry about using stabilizer, new oil and pulling the battery.

Also, is their anything I'm forgetting about? I'm in Vancouver so the weather is wet all winter but not very cold if that makes a difference to winter care.

any advice would be appreciated

Take your lay-up time to do some maintenance.
Remove the battery, adjust the "water"level and put it on a trickle charger.
Where I live, Netherland, we have a similar climat as in Vancouver.
My bike is in an unheated shed  and starts right up after 5 or 6 months.

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #5 - 10/12/07 at 01:49:34

I don't lay up KLX for winter I just ride her less often.
Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #6 - 10/12/07 at 05:36:01

All of this is just my opinion.

If you are not planning to ride your MC, most likely you won't run it enough to do any good over the winter (maybe even do harm - nothing like dumping a lot of moisture in the exhaust and then not running the MC long enough to get it out). Even if you are willing to just sit for several minutes with the throttle open to get the rpms up you probably won't do much more than charge the battery.

Couple of things I would do (and do for my vehicles that don't run during the winter) if I were going to leave a MC in storage.

Put the battery on trickle charge.
Fill the tank with good fuel including a good stabilizer.
Depending on how long I was planning to leave it (four months sound like a reasonable dividing point) I would drain the carbs.
Get the weight off the suspension and tires while keeping the suspension at normal height.
Change the oil.
Cover the MC.
Cover the air box with tape and put a ball of steel wool to block the exhaust and put some moth balls around the MC on the floor under the cover to keep the mice out. They seem to love to nest in inactive exhaust and engines.
Wax it if I don't want the surface to oxidize.
I'm not in a bad environment as far as corrosion just from exposure but if I were, I'd fog the cylinders and probably coat anything that would corrode.

Golly it's no wonder I ride through the winter. I gotta move somewhere warmer. Wink

IP Logged
NW-SAV
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/12/07 at 08:56:30

get a rain suit and save yourself gas money in the winter too - I'll be thumpin' through the rain in PDX

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #8 - 10/12/07 at 10:14:45

Grin Winters in Vancouver are positively "tropical" compared to Newfoundland! Bikes usually go to sleep here at the end of Oct. and so not wake 'til following April. I used to do all of the things mornhm suggests in his Post above when I stored the LS in my un-heated backyard shed ... last year and this, I've been able to avail of a heated warehouse in an Industrial Park only a few kms from my house (for free!) ... so now it's stabilize a full tank of gas before I Ride 'er over to get it thru the entire fuel system and once she's there, pull the battery, cover the Bike, take battery home & charge once a month ... go back in April, re-install battery and Ride 'er home! Grin

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Polar_Pilot

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 10/14/07 at 08:11:14

I have been putting motorcycles into winter storage for usually 10 months at a time for the last 40 years.

I used to do the full drill - oil battery out carb drained etc.

Today in 2007 I have cut way way back on the entire process.

I fill the gas tank at a gas station 5 kms from home - add some stabilizer and drive it home. I then turn off the key and walk away. That is it.

Bike usually has a battery that is less than 5 years old  but they always start again in the spring.

It is nice to have a freshly cleaned and waxed bike first thing in the spring but I find my enthusiasm for that kind of activity in the spring is higher.

I do not cover my bike - I am suspicious that covers simply trap moisture especially if the bike is inside.

Enjoy your exercise of closing the riding sason regardless.

IP Logged
wrongwayair

central Il
Reply #10 - 10/14/07 at 09:14:11

Polar_Pilot wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I fill the gas tank at a gas station 5 kms from home - add some stabilizer and drive it home. I then turn off the key and walk away. That is it.

Stabilizer?  Clue me in here, i'm assuming this is something that won't hurt the engine if we get lucky enough to have another mild winter & get to ride more?  I'll probably end up renting an unheated storage building for the m/c & a few other things to make room in the garage / workshop this winter.

Indecision may or may not be my problem .... Jimmy Buffett
  IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Reply #11 - 10/14/07 at 09:16:53

I hate riding in the cold winter rain, but it's part of riding. My bike is my transportation.  
Without it means bumming a ride or a 12 mile walk to work, in the snow, uphill, both ways, after milking the cows (wait thats how my Dad talked about going to school).
So there is no laying the bike up for winter.  But then again the winters here, metro Atlanta,  aren't that bad.

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 10/14/07 at 10:11:43

I brought a few little rust spots here from the SE (those chrome plated nuts and bolts), but they stopped growing once here.

I don't know exactly why, but the humidity seems much lower here in the NW compared to the SE.  It may rain more here but things don't rust nearly as fast.  The cooler temps and various breezes may make the difference.  That's also why there seems to be alot more vintage bikes running around...

Anyway, if I had to store a bike back east, I would run the bike until hot, and use that time spent to drain the carb either by disconnecting the vacuum hose or turning off the petc0ck (then open the drain for the remaining amount).  Then I'd change the oil, remove the plug and add a small amount to the top of the piston (turn it over a couple times and put the plug back).

Now, the gas tank varies per mission.  You can use Stabil to treat the gas, but if winter tinkering was planned the tank can be drained and used in a cage.  That makes the tank easier to handle and prevent spills and fumes.

Also, depending on plans, I would wax it, fog it with WD40, and throw it under a cover just to keep the dust off.

A mentioned above, I also have filled tires and elevated bike to keep the suspension free.  And usually removed the battery to a warmer place with a trickle charger.

With all that, let's just say that you should do some or all of the things mentioned here.  Never just park it and forget it.  You are just asking to buy a new battery or damage a good one.  Plus condensation will develop in the tank and you'll never see the few little drops that are rusting your tank down in the bottom.  As well, clogged varnished carbs are the one single item that I repair the most in the shop.  Take the extra time to get that gas out.  That saves even more when you're ready to ride again...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:21:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Storing my bike for the winter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.