Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How to take off stock muffler (Read 21 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
How to take off stock muffler
10/13/07 at 12:59:37

I got everything  loose and can turn muffller but it want come off .I can turn it still want pull back . I dont have head pipe off and I didnt want to take it off. Anybody have an idea what to do.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: How to take off stock muffler
Reply #1 - 10/13/07 at 13:01:07

I had to loosen the headpipe where it attached to the cylinderhead before I could replace my muffler.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 10/13/07 at 13:05:11

Southerngirl said she did hers without taking off head pipe but I guess I will have to take it off or loosen it thanks.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Baldeagle

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hernando MS
Reply #3 - 10/13/07 at 13:15:13

Started at header and worked back which requires you to remove heat shield at foot peg.  Removed two bolts holding muff Laid on work bench to loosen clamp.  Replaced both gaskets.

Will work better if you remove the other heat shield but I started rounding off the phillips screws.

Good luck and ride safe!!!!!

Old geezer with a 05 S40
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 10/13/07 at 13:21:31

I have the heatsheild off every thing is losse but muffler want come off. Im resting now thinking about it

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 10/13/07 at 13:40:53

tryin to  remember: think i left heat shield attached layed on my back had wifey straddle front tyre and hold handle bars..i got under muff best i could and put foot on foot peg, twisted and pulled muff till it came off..back when my 06 was under 1500 miles...good luck!!!
edit: think i cramed the handle of a pair of channel loks into muffs bolt channel..< still fuzzy on this part..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 10/13/07 at 13:49:08

Mines  and 06 with 950 miles . im waiting for my windsheild to come in I dont like riding without  one.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #7 - 10/13/07 at 14:12:40

There's a metal bracket that supports the muffler. Loose the 2 allen bolts (for the left one you'll have to remove the beltpulley cover,and mark where each of the three bolts go since they're all different lengths and do not lose the rubbers and spacers) Then remove the bolt on the right side forward of that bracket. Remove metal spacers inside the rubber grommets that hold muffler in space and rotate bracket downwards. Then slowly wiggle muffler off. If it will not come off without reasonable twisting and pulling, just remove header pipe so someone can hold that or clamp header pipe in vice (with lots of cardboard as not to scratch that). When installing another muffler make sure you retorque Exhaust pipe clamp bolts to approx 16 ft/lbs and use a preferable new sealer gasket wher the header pipe meets the muffler  Wink

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 10/13/07 at 14:15:44

Every thing is loose the muffler just want come off  I keep turning it back and fore trying to make it looser

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #9 - 10/13/07 at 14:17:28

Bill our replies crossed each other. Check mine above yours. Getting that support bracket out of the way is important Smiley

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #10 - 10/13/07 at 14:19:15

I have all the brackets off its the muffler want come off head pipe.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #11 - 10/13/07 at 14:24:46

If it will not come off without reasonable twisting and pulling, just remove header pipe so someone can hold that or clamp header pipe in vice (with lots of cardboard as not to scratch that). When installing another muffler make sure you retorque Exhaust pipe clamp bolts to approx 16 ft/lbs and use a preferable new sealer gasket wher the header pipe meets the muffler
Did you rotate the muffler support bracket out of the way? Smiley

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 10/13/07 at 14:26:23

OK thanks

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #13 - 10/13/07 at 14:29:41

Pulling to hard on the muffler is really hard on the exhaust pipe clamp bolts. Read my 2:12 pm posting Smiley

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #14 - 10/14/07 at 09:55:45

Ever get this muffler off? If not, try going around the flange of the muffler with a small cold chisel to swag it open a bit at the very end; then use something thinner to drive farther into the opening.

What happens is: The end of the header pipe that the muffler flange goes over is kind of bulb shaped, and the original clamp pulls the flanges of the muffler pipe down around the "bulb." So, you have to open up the header end of the muffler a bit so it can slip over the widest part of the header end. Don't get too aggressive on any one side, lest you make the other side tighter.

Then wiggling and pulling should make the stubborn muffler pop off.   Smiley

edit: Of course this is the "women and children" method of getting stubborn metal objects apart. Real men just grab hold like alligator wrestling; putting one foot on the foot peg and just yank the SOB off there! If the "real man" is lucky, he doesn't snap the header bolts off at the jug.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:17:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How to take off stock muffler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.