Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ain't whistling dixie no more..... (Read 809 times)
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Ain't whistling dixie no more.....
Reply #15 - 05/06/08 at 10:27:22

buttgoat1 wrote on 05/06/08 at 09:20:23:
I put on a similar turnout (screamin chicken something or another............) and the only baffle was a perforated piece of metal set at an angle in the main bore.  I fabbed up a baffle to put a cross piece directly inline with the headpipe.  I cut and bent a piece of tubing so that there is a 1-1/2" round piece for the sound/gases to hit and hafta go around.  I may eventually get a baffle, but I did this while it was still easy on and off.  I tried posting some pice but had trouble.

Yep, that's sounds like my ear popper.   I cut up some muffler pipe I bought at Auto-Zone, then  drilled holes in it and slide it down the intake side.  helped a little.  I was thinking of adding a baffle in the output side.  I cut a cardboard template (round circle with 2 tabs).  Just have to think of what metal to use.  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reply #16 - 05/06/08 at 10:49:53

When you're buying an HD muffler off of e-Bay you should ask the  seller if the baffles have been punched out. With the guys I rode with it was standard practise to take a pipe and drive it down the muffler and through the baffles.

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
jomiyo

Thump or Bump!

Elmira, NY
Reply #17 - 05/06/08 at 11:07:43

Mayes-  

if you are loosing that fish tale pipe, i might be interested in keeping it out of the garage for you.

'07 s40, White spacer removed, Jardine muffler, iron cross mirrors, Ed-L +4" controls, under seat bags- only on for trips, and 1 happy nut in the seat!
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #18 - 05/06/08 at 13:38:08

Mayes, if you switch to a sporty muffler drill a 3/8 inch hole in the baffle, brings the volumn up just about right and gives a good crackle when backing off from speed.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
MAYES
YaBB Newbies

The SAVAGE beast!!!

Ohio
Reply #19 - 05/06/08 at 20:39:44

Hey Ed L. thanks for the tip,I don't want to lose the deep rumble, just trying too quiet it down alittle. Jomiyo, I'll keep you posted.

97 Savage stright pipe,One loud thumper.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #20 - 06/19/08 at 08:11:55

My home made baffler has bit the bullet.  The bike was getting louder and louder and the mixture had to be adjusted and adjusted.

So.....  for the time being I switched to a Stock Dyna take off.  Don't like it.... too quite and the bike no longer has a unique sound.  Sounds like every other bike.....  Embarrassed

But.....  will be making a baffle out of all steel not copper this time....  and welded.  Just have to get motivated......

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
sidny4
YaBB Newbies

Thumping since May

Fargo, ND
Reply #21 - 07/24/08 at 00:12:13

I made a lollipop baffle. I just took a bolt with an eye hole, two washers, a smaller bolt and it's corresponding nut. I used the washers and the smaller bolt to block the eye hole, then I put a hole a few inches from the end of the muffler. I put the eye hole bolt through and tighten. It did help deaden the noise a bit.

'08 Boulevard S40
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #22 - 01/29/09 at 11:59:57

MAYES wrote on 05/05/08 at 20:28:45:
My bike has a straight through pipe with a fishtail end. The darn thing shoots flames when deaccelerating. It is too loud!!I have a muffler(factory takeoff) of a Harley Sportster. Anybody have a sportster muffler? Does it sound good? Was it hard to install?

I've got two sportster mufflers.  Just today I pulled off my unaltered sporty muffler, grabbed my extra sporty muffler, popped out the baffle plug so that it's straight thru, installed it and went for a ride.  It sounds much better to me.  It's not too loud.  WOT in 1st gear is getting up there in volume a little but the other gears, highway riding, etc., it's not too loud in my opinion.  On a scale of 1 to 10, with the volume of a stock S40 muffler at 1 and header only at 10, it's about a 5.  I've certainly heard louder, baffled aftermarket mufflers.  Anyways, I figured if I didn't like it I'd just throw the other muffler back on.  But I like it a lot and will keep it on.

IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #23 - 03/25/09 at 09:46:37

How did you pop out the baffle plug?  I've got a stock sporty muffler I was planning on putting on and drilling a 1/2 hole in the baffle.  But if I can just pop out the baffle easily and be done with it I will.  TIA

-Matt

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #24 - 03/25/09 at 09:58:13

After riding with it and making the new longshot, I realize that Ed L.'s idea of drilling a 3/8" hole is probably better.  But, if you want to try it, here's what I did.  I got a 2" section of heavy pipe that was just a hair smaller in diameter than the inside of the muffler exhaust tube.  I put a piece of 2x4 on the garage floor, set the pipe upright on it, inserted the pipe and went to banging with a 3 pound sledge hammer.  It took a lot more pounding than I thought it would.  But it came out.  It's much louder with the piece fully removed.  My DIY longshot isn't at loud as the modded HD muffler.  

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #25 - 03/25/09 at 10:26:04

From what I've read, silencers for firearms are made with several expansion chambers.  And in performance expansion chamber for 2 stokes the idea was to size the chamber to reflect the sound wave back so that the flected wave at least partially cancelled out the new one.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/17/24 at 10:26:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ain't whistling dixie no more.....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.