Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dead Battery (Read 9 times)
Woody
YaBB Newbies

Flora, Illinois
Dead Battery
09/12/07 at 17:52:40

So, I go out this morning to go to work and I hit the starter on  my bike. Nothing but a little grunt. Great, this is a good way to start the day. Tear into it over lunch hour and find  that there is no water in any of the cells on the battery, so after workI fill up with distilled water, charge it up and everything is fine. Go to walmart and got a battery tender and we are off and running. How often do the cells go dry or is this a fluke?

2005 S40, dyna muffler, seat mod
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Dead Battery
Reply #1 - 09/12/07 at 18:46:44

Hot weather and letting them discharge a little too often will help them lose water.  Charging causes the acid to boil a little.  Older batteries also don't hold charge as well so will need the bike to charge them a little more (thus more boiling).  
  In hot weather, check at least weekly.  Probably won't have to top it off that often but ......

Good rule is to check when you check the oil level (which you should do often becuase on these bikes oil is critical)

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 09/12/07 at 19:53:47

got a owners manual ?? its called preventive maintenance...check bolt torque,oil level (every ride?) tires ,cables etc etc.......

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 09/12/07 at 21:03:40

I dunno how old that battery is, but the event you described has left a mark on it. I would get a gel cell & poke it in or have it ready, cuz that battery may not last after running it dry like that. Anyone else think the same? Otherwise?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #4 - 09/12/07 at 21:50:57

Yes Justin, I agree. Both my 87 and 99 came with batteries which were obviously not anywhere near new. To complicate matters, both had low electrolyte levels. The one in the old 87 actually hung on for a few weeks by using the charger on it occasionally, but the one in the 99 was pretty much gone.

At any rate, I think that the standard old "wet" cell batteries are barely adequate for the Savage when in really good condition. Once they've been subjected to low electrolyte levels and run nearly dead a couple of times, it is my opinion that it is a waste of time to try and salvage any more time out of them. Better to bite the bullet, pay the $60-$80 for a Gel Cell and be done with the matter.

I've very curious to see what kind of life all of us who have bought these good batteries end up getting. I'm betting we get our money's worth out of them by having a truly trustworthy battery for several years.

IP Logged
Woody
YaBB Newbies

Flora, Illinois
Reply #5 - 09/13/07 at 14:15:42

thumperclone wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
got a owners manual ?? its called preventive maintenance...check bolt torque,oil level (every ride?) tires ,cables etc etc.......

OUCH!!! Tongue Tongue Tongue

Guess I deserved that, I'll admit to being a little bit lax on maintenance. Bad on me!!!

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #6 - 09/13/07 at 18:42:27

Woody wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
OUCH!!! Tongue Tongue Tongue

Guess I deserved that, I'll admit to being a little bit lax on maintenance. Bad on me!!!
didnt mean to ouch ya..p.m. is so simple on this bike

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Woody
YaBB Newbies

Flora, Illinois
Reply #7 - 09/14/07 at 15:01:58

NO problem Thumperclone, no problem! Grin Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1