Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
easiest mods to perform (Read 30 times)
surfa
Ex Member

easiest mods to perform
09/08/07 at 01:50:05

Hi All,

I have a stock 2006 and I'm ready to make some quick and cost effective mods.  Keep in mind, i really know nothing about working on a bike.  Although, thanks to this GREAT site, i was able to perform my own oil change and replace front brake pads.  8)

I would appreciate some step by step instructions on the mods, parts and cost.

My only complaint about the bike is - cruizing at 70 or more, there's a bit too much vibes for me.  I would like to do a mod that will ease this and have no issues at 75.

Thanks.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: easiest mods to perform
Reply #1 - 09/08/07 at 02:49:22

Its a small, light single cylinder bike with a motor that is geared to work from zero to 60 really well. If you want to run it 70 & 75 & not be vibrating so hard, the belt goes away & a chain is the answer. Even then, you gonna get the vibes a single makes. I run mine 70 & 75, but only for 30 miles or so, it does get tiresome. The bike will do it better than I will.

The most effective mods are, let it flow air, open the exhaust up. A Harley pipe is a quick, cheap answer. If $$ is not a concern, the Supertrapp is a really tuneable way to go. If $$ is much of a concern, then the Harley takeoff for $20.00 is the answer. There are other choices that split the costs & benefits.
Rejet the carb & give it some gas. Pull the snorkel to let air flow in. Maybe trim the white spacer in the carb, I did but restored it to stock size, my carb seems kinda wierd.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 09/08/07 at 05:20:33

Yep, that's about it for the very inexpensive range of performance mod's and they are easy to do, even for a first timer.   I personally do not think it is necessary to change anything in the filtering area if the only other changes being made are replacing the stock muffler with a Harley unit and rejetting the carb to match.
Jusin mentioned that after filing down the white spacer he then went back to stock...it seems that some of the newer Harley sportster mufflers are more restrictive than they were in the past and this may be the reason that some folks are finding that not as much fuel is need when compared to others.
Anyway, changing the muffler will give a much better sound and let the air flow a bit more.  Jetting the carb for best efficiency will yield better performance for you and eliminate any backfire .  
Just remember that the pilot jet (with the adjusting screw) controls the low throttle range, the needle (with white spacer) controls the mid throttle range, and the main jet controls the high end of the throttle range.  There is overlapping of those ranges but for the sake of basics, that is how things are controlled.
Read the tech section threads that deal with carb jetting and go have fun.  You are not going to hurt your bike so don't worry about that.  Keep us posted on your progress and if you have more questions after reading about jetting  just holler.

IP Logged
drew03cmc
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Baldwin City, KS
Reply #3 - 09/08/07 at 08:18:46

I am just now getting the Savage bug and reading all of this is good learning. I would love to see some Savages in person and hear what they sound like also. Any sound clips on this website so that we can hear how the various exhausts sound on these bikes?

Andy
  IP Logged
Strafford_Guy

96 in progress

Strafford, NH
Reply #4 - 09/08/07 at 08:26:54

drew03cmc
Check out the tech section. There is just about everything thing you could ask for.

Savage sounds:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1151331237

SERENITY - Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul
straffordguy   IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #5 - 09/08/07 at 08:50:58

I'm a newbie,but doesn't the fork brace help with vibration?
The guys know better though,and will probably give info Smiley

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 09/08/07 at 10:01:17

Get yourself a Tkat fork brace, cheap and easy to install.

It won't take the vibes away but it does a number on the wobbles and tightens up the front end.  So drunken grooves won't make you sea sick.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
surfa
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 09/08/07 at 11:00:04

Thanks for the info.

I keep hearing about a harley take off, and I'm still not clear what that is?  Is there a part # or pic I can check out.

Thanks.  I'll make sure to visit the tech section.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 09/08/07 at 11:37:09

You can get about a 5% gear reduction by going to a 149/90 rear tire.  That's not a lot, but it might move those vibes up a bit.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #9 - 09/09/07 at 10:17:59

Wanted to ask a question!

Since I love the "sound" of motorcycles and want to change the muffler on mine.....

"What is the best "sounding" muffler you can put on the Savage without having to change anything else.Isnt there one?"

I did a search and seem to be going in circles on this. Havent perfected the search yet.

On muffler sounds posts... its still hard to tell by them.Can't tell if someone just gave more volume on their sound taping or less.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 09/09/07 at 12:09:49

If you don't want to change anything else, not even the jets in your carb, get a supertrapp.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 09/09/07 at 12:20:34

I have typed & erased 2 responses. I dont want to be rude. I really cant see how to say what I really want to say without sounding like a jerk, tho, so I appologize in advance. I understand wanting it to sound more like a motorcycle than an asthmatic sewing machine. I understand being satisfied with the power it has right now, as a stock bike, its okay.
But, If you are gonna spend the time & $$ to make it sound better, why not go ahead & make it run like it sounds? I would feel silly sitting on a bike that sounds good, & wide open I am still sitting 100 yards from where I started off 10 seconds ago. ( I exagerate, but yoiu get my drift, I think weve all seen bikes that had a bark greater than the bite & I always smirk at them) In other words, wht ride a fraud? If yoiu gonna make it bark, give it some Bite! Rejet, & open the exhaust up. It will be a whole new experience.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 09/09/07 at 12:37:08

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I have typed & erased 2 responses. I dont want to be rude. I really cant see how to say what I really want to say without sounding like a jerk, tho, so I appologize in advance. I understand wanting it to sound more like a motorcycle than an asthmatic sewing machine. I understand being satisfied with the power it has right now, as a stock bike, its okay.
But, If you are gonna spend the time & $$ to make it sound better, why not go ahead & make it run like it sounds? I would feel silly sitting on a bike that sounds good, & wide open I am still sitting 100 yards from where I started off 10 seconds ago. ( I exagerate, but yoiu get my drift, I think weve all seen bikes that had a bark greater than the bite & I always smirk at them) In other words, wht ride a fraud? If yoiu gonna make it bark, give it some Bite! Rejet, & open the exhaust up. It will be a whole new experience.

Yep ... bark & bite ....

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #13 - 09/09/07 at 12:43:08

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:

Ok,"IF" you were going to rejet,etc.....then which one sounds the best?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 09/09/07 at 12:53:50

if you're looking for the most bark for the buck, harley take-off.

supertrapp's for for $300 new, there's been a few used for sale, under $200

sound is very subjective, cash is not.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:51:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › easiest mods to perform

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.