LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: New LS650 maybe
Reply #15 - 09/05/07 at 06:59:06

Moan and groan, yeh yeh, most of us have been there.
I think she needs help making up her mind, and that is your job...she is really asking you too.  So be gentle, kind and patient, and take her back to the dealer or where ever it is you are getting the bike from and pick one out that day and buy it.  Most of the time the female species appreciates the help in getting over the hurdles, AND this part of the of the episode will be over.  Now you can ride together and work on other issues ... there are always issues.

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #16 - 09/05/07 at 08:26:12

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Moan and groan, yeh yeh, most of us have been there.I think she needs help making up her mind, and that is your job...she is really asking you too. Now you can ride together and work on other issues ... there are always issues.

I beg to differ with Lancer.
No girl should need help making up her own mind, especially on something semi-major like this. That is dooming you (roscowgo) to failure, because you will NEVER know her mind, and as an added bonus she is giving you mixed messages.

It appears she wants you to do all the work and then she thinks she can have all the fun afterward. You gonna take tha MSF for her too?  ???

You deserve the same respect from her that you give to her. You've been helpful, and she's not been appreciative.  Sounds like she is not being honest with HERSELF, let alone you, so you get the wishy-washy behavior.

Anything else you wanna know about girls, ask us ladies on the forum. WE appreciate you guys!  Cheesy

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #17 - 09/05/07 at 11:42:51

Why don't you show her this site, give her her own handle, and have her talk to us girls about our experiences, pros and cons. The thought of actually owning a bike probably sounds great to her (imagination running wild) but the fact of actually riding it probably scares her, and she's just worried about the dangerous aspect of riding. Mixed feelings towards the whole thing. I don't know if pushing her is such a good idea, let it simmer for a while!

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
roscowgo
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #18 - 09/05/07 at 20:24:08

well thats kinda the thing.    If i point her toward something bike related.....i get...... wah wah wah (charlie brown teacher noises)

If i sit back and mind my buisness i get bombarded with bikebikebikebike!   I'm certainly not pushing her.    To tell you the truth, the half arsed stuff scares me spitless.    What if she decides she "just doesnt care" right before a smacktard in an SUV pulls out in front of her.

To the earlier post about her wanting me to do all the work, and she gets all the fun....that was my take on it too.     And the reason i told her that i'd gladly go look at a bike she finds, or give her some ideas about a beginner bike. But that i wasnt gonna do her dirty work for her.    

I do agree about never knowing her mind though. I gave up on that while asking for her to hand me a wrench and she made some comment about tulips.

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #19 - 09/05/07 at 21:33:27

Well!
Maybe she'd be better of not getting a bike!
Undecided

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #20 - 09/06/07 at 06:43:02

SavageWahine wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Well!
Maybe she'd be better of not getting a bike!
Undecided

I agree - if she's that flaky OFF a bike, it is not going to be any better once she gets one.  Tongue

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #21 - 09/06/07 at 10:45:26

skatnbnc wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
New biker + first bike = she could be excited and SCARED. It's a big thing.

My suggestion would be that she take the MSF class and after she passes it, SHE can look for a bike.

Why are YOU taking on all the responsibility?

Heeheehee. Yeah, women confuse, we can't help it. No offense.  Wink

First of all men can be confusing sometimes too.....at least to women Smiley

BUT.....I agree with Skatnbnc.....I would say,take the MSF course first and then if you still want a bike,we'll get you one.I think this will help her and also see if its what she really wants.

Simple solution!

As far as me.....well,I do what I want to do Smiley I don't ask for help on major decisions! I make up my own mind,I buy it & pay for it,then if I'm unhappy I have no one to blame but myself.
I had ridden on bikes for years as a passenger,wanted one for years,waited it out ,made up my mind for sure.....then got one.I'm happy!!

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 09/06/07 at 11:31:35

There one guy here not to long ago got a savage for his significant other that went to waste.

She took the MSF course but I think dropped out cause she couldn't get out of 1st.  She could put along in 1st but as soon as she went faster she would panic and crash into something.

So, have her take the course.  Find out if she's got what it takes and likes it.  Then get a bike for her.  otherwise it's a waste.

WWW   IP Logged
roscowgo
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #23 - 09/06/07 at 12:01:11

Naw, a new bike aint Never a waste.    If all else failed i'd raise the rear, drop the fender and put knobbies on it.

I think she's convinced herself that getting into the 2 wheeled world, HAS to be some long arduous painful frustrating experience.    

We are going to do the MSF thing.    late october.    Maybe.     If the bells ring and the birds loan their wings to pigs.      Tongue

I've seen her do the parking lott putt on my c50 and my katana.    She WANTS to ride.   And i think can learn.    I don't want to let her get too close to doing the parking lot thing with me, because i'll teach her bad habits.

IP Logged
wrongwayair

central Il
Reply #24 - 09/06/07 at 13:07:22

Roscowgo, geez, tell her to quit whining & take the MSF course.  If she's still not sure, tell her to take the course a second time or to see if there are some private lessons available.  One other thought, have you by any chance shown her some of the bigger scooters or even some of the automatic motorycycles like the Q-Link?  I'm not questioning her riding / shifting abilities but I know some riders who prefer the simplicity of riding that way.

I don't mean to be overly harsh but i'm with the other women here.  She needs to make her own decision on whether this is right for her or not.

Indecision may or may not be my problem .... Jimmy Buffett
  IP Logged
roscowgo
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #25 - 09/06/07 at 14:20:12

Put simply, I agree.      To date she doesn't have any shifting/not shifting skills.     top speed has been about 5mph with the feet down.

She has expressed interest (all by her lonesome...just comes up and says...I LIKE THESE!.   Generally when i'm doing something totally unrelated to bikes.    say washing the dishes.)    She likes the step-through design.   The shifting mechanism of course makes her nervous.   But not unduly so.    

I do worry about her riding.    Maybe it's my tendancy (bike bred I'm sure to look everywhere as often as possible the entire time i'm driving or riding) that she has paying attention to other things than the road.

Then again, how could i possibly Not say...hells yeah go for it.   i'll be right behind you 100% hun.

I do hope she decides to hop on in.    And I'm taking the msf with her. As a kind of extra furry security blanket.    She's worried that the class will be a bunch of experienced riders who will mess with her about riding.    I tried to explain that most likely the rest of the class will be too busy not riding over their own feet to pay any attention to her.    

The rational social concerns I understand and can deal with.     It's the on one second off the next weirdness that messes with me.

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #26 - 09/06/07 at 14:42:38

I am an MSF insructor.In my experience sometimes it's better if you don't take the course with her.But everyone is different.Believe me(1) no one will be watching her, they are to busy looking to where that shifter or brake pedal made off to.(2)Most people taking the course are newbies.I have yet to see students make fun of each other.It's usually the other way around,they try to encourage each other.Sometimes too much because they will go to each other rather than a ridercoach with questions.    Good luck

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #27 - 09/06/07 at 18:31:40

I agree, she should take the course  by herself without you around.
That way she will also learn to stand on her own two feet.
I think it'll mean more to her hearing "great job" from someone who doesn't know her, and who isn't biased.

IP Logged
pgman

Central Florida
Reply #28 - 09/06/07 at 19:26:34

For what its worth - I will share my thoughts.  I bought a "first bike" (a Suzuki VZ800 Marauder) this past April.  My wife LOVED it and wanted to share it with me, which I was more than happy to do.  We already had our learner's permits from the DMV before we took the MSF class, so we rode it just a little bit around the block and in some vacant parking lots down the street from our house.  I found it to be a handful and the misses was a little bit scared of it.  After the MSF class I quickly became comfortable on it but my wife did not take the class with me (mostly because we couldn't get our schedules worked out). She took the class a few weeks later.  During the time between my MSF class and hers, she almost dropped the Marauder in the street and it scared her pretty bad.  She told me in no uncertain terms that she was NOT going to ride that bike - it was just too heavy and cumbersome (she is a small girl).

I was really bummed, but I didn't pressure her.  I waited a couple of days and then told her that I would buy her something smaller if she still wanted to ride (I knew she did).  That weekend, we were off to go look at Rebels.  Try as they might, the Honda sales people could not get her to warm up to the Rebel.  She said it just felt like a toy (too small and too light).  I was bummed again - BUT there was this beat-up, nasty looking Savage on their lot and we walked over to try it out.  She tossed it back and forth a couple of times, turned to me and said "this is my bike".

Since we couldn't possibly work a deal on that Savage (it really was a mess), I started looking for a better one (my wife sometimes likes to let me do the dirty work, too).  I found a couple more that we passed on (just not the right deal) and then I found one.  It is a 2003 and it had 2300 miles on it.  I paid $3000.00, including tax and dealer fees (UGH) and I kept it in my neighbors garage for a couple days before giving it to her on her birthday.  After she took the MSF class, she tried the Marauder again and now she wants it!!!  So now I guess I have to decide what I am going to ride next.  It may be her Savage!

The point of this long story -

I would recommend that SHE decide on a bike AFTER she's completed the MSF class.

I would not pressure her into doing anything - not even the MSF class.  If she wants to ride, she will make the move.  You go and take the class without her if she isn't ready.  I think it is better that way anyhow.

It is reallly very barbaric and incomprehensible, but it is true that salesMEN very often do not take women seriously when they go to buy a vehicle.  You might try to find a dealer that has some female sales people.  There are a few around here (so I am sure you can find some wherever you are) and they treated my wife like "one of the girls" when we shopped there.  She was definitely more comfortable in that situation.  The salesWOMEN we met were also riders and so they could empathize with my wife's concerns better than even I could.  They may even inspire your girl to get the show on the road.

If you look around, you will find yourself an LS650 - they are fantastic bikes for smaller people, and they are pretty common.  If you let this one go, you'll find another - possibly even better - deal when the time is right.

Good luck to you.

Hers: 2003 Shadow VT750DC
His: 2008 Star XVS1100 Custom
  IP Logged
roscowgo
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #29 - 09/07/07 at 07:24:46

I understand that she needs to take it herself.    I also understand that when i mentioned this to her i developed a large set of teethmarks in my arse.      I need to take it too.     I've been riding one two wheeled jalopy or another since I was a teenager, when i got a 250 dual sport that i used as a dirt bike.     Some professional instruction sounds very good to me.

As for pushing her...Nope.    I Swear on all the things I hold holy that I'm not.     Pushing Jen is kinda like pushing a cat into a shower and not wearing gloves.    I do the best I can to support what She wants, It just happens that in this case, it's something that I love doing and that excites me no end.      I'd be tickled pink if she took up blacksmithing and invited me to join in too Cheesy

I agree on bike after class bit too.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:17:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New LS650 maybe

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.