Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question about average clutch life (Read 10 times)
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Question about average clutch life
09/05/07 at 08:23:36

I know this is a highly subjective question depending on how you drive the bike, but on average how long should a clutch on these Savages last? I'm right at 5000 miles and I've just done the "fine adjustment" the second time in the last 1500, so I'll have to make my next adjustment on the lower cable end. Not knowing how the bike was treated before, (it was an acquaintance's wife's bike and not a real accomplished rider) The bike runs fine right now, just running out of adjustment on top, and asking because I've never seen the topic come up. Any information would be appreciated.

Dan

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Question about average clutch life
Reply #1 - 09/05/07 at 09:07:44

Maybe you should shim the springs or replace them with stouter springs.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 09/05/07 at 11:53:55

It's more than likely that the adjustment you made was due to cable stretch.  New cables stretch, it just happens.  They only stretch so far then pretty much stop.    

Just rebuild my engine, 10.4K miles.  Clutch plates were very good.  The Perv. Owner lived in Erie, Pa close to the great lake of same name, just rolling hills in that country.

Things that affect MC clutches.....starting on hills (what can you do...???)......wrong oil (MC oil has stuff in (sulfides??) that help prolong clutch life....).....old oil..........

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
allan
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/05/07 at 12:02:48

got 21,000 on my 400 clutch is worn but not worn out

allan.

IP Logged
greyhead51

i love u charlotte

munford,tn
Reply #4 - 09/05/07 at 18:38:16

got over 26000 and my clutch is still going strong!!

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #5 - 09/05/07 at 23:22:11

So far all the clutch replacements I have done were due to old bad oil. It just builds up a nasty residue and the friction plates lose the  friction part. I haven't had a worn-out clutch so far.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #6 - 09/06/07 at 07:54:10

I hadn't thought about the cable stretch, and I'll be changing the oil again soon. I'll try those two and watch for developments. I figured there had to be something I was missing, I don't remember ever having to touch my old 68 Honda's adjustments. (of course... that was long ago in a galaxy far away) Grin
Thanks to all for the input. Ride safe!

Dan

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 09/06/07 at 21:22:02

Since you have a 2004 ride, I discounted sretch as an issue. Maybe it did,  I dunno, But, loose clutch cables dont make clutches slip. Tight does.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #8 - 09/07/07 at 09:26:42

Cable stretch would explain the slack I adjusted out in June. The rest might be trial and error, because it doesn't make sense to me. I'll keep eliminating potential causes until I get it right. Considering the old owner told me he had the bike rejetted when he had the Jardine put on, but the shop he told me he took it to has no record of it, I'm assuming there might be a couple of other things fishy here. Everyone I talked to says the guy is meticulous, but doesn't turn his own wrenches. His wife and a younger relative each had time riding and taking care of it. I have had mixed results with the stealership in question and what they might do to cover their arses, and this '04 has some characteristics of a Savage and some of the '05 s/40 make me wonder if there aren't some model change bugs cropping up. All speculation, yet all potential troubleshooting concerns. I'll just eliminate the obvious until I get to the bottom of it. If nothing else it will give me a few things to work on when it gets colder. Another excuse to tinker? How else do you get to know your machine.

IP Logged
pgman

Central Florida
Reply #9 - 09/07/07 at 10:16:35

I just put a new clutch in my Marauder.  I know this is not the forum for that, but since it is fresh in my mind...

The bike has 21000 miles on it and it only slipped in top gear after a long ride (which I am thinking was a heat-related issue).  Anyway, with that mileage, the clutch disks were actually still okay - worn but not down to the metal.  It was the springs that were bad.

A friend of mine said he could "adjust the slipping out of it" but I didn't buy that.  The Marauder, like the LS650 has a cable-actuated clutch.  Therefore, the only adjustment I know of is a CABLE adjustment, which only allows you to set the free-play (and, to some extent, set the friction zone of the clutch).  I can not see how a cable adjustment can have anything to do with the holding power of the clutch unless it is set for absolutely no free play.  More to the point, though, if your cable is tight you really don't know if your clutch is ever fully engaged.  I would set it so that there is just a bit of free play.  Otherwise, you may end up burning the clutch without knowing it.

Hers: 2003 Shadow VT750DC
His: 2008 Star XVS1100 Custom
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 09/07/07 at 11:33:19

pgman wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
A friend of mine said he could "adjust the slipping out of it" but I didn't buy that.  The Marauder, like the LS650 has a cable-actuated clutch.  Therefore, the only adjustment I know of is a CABLE adjustment, which only allows you to set the free-play (and, to some extent, set the friction zone of the clutch).  I can not see how a cable adjustment can have anything to do with the holding power of the clutch unless it is set for absolutely no free play.  More to the point, though, if your cable is tight you really don't know if your clutch is ever fully engaged.  I would set it so that there is just a bit of free play.  Otherwise, you may end up burning the clutch without knowing it.

As mentioned above, sometimes going to stiffer aftermarket springs or simply shimming the existing springs adds back some compression/tension lost over time.  New springs for the Savage are about $12-$15 and easy to replace.  I did mine when I installed the VerSlavy modded cam chain tensioner.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:26:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Question about average clutch life

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.