Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ow!  I should have known better! (Read 15 times)
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Ow!  I should have known better!
09/04/07 at 18:31:59

I'm sitting here nursing a sore finger with a tall glass of iced whiskey wondering why I just did what I did.

Rememebr a few weeks back when I asked about forward controls vs. highway pegs?  Well, the $600.00 price tag on the controls led me to cheap out.

I got the suzuki accesories engine guard and a set of 2" off-set highway pegs.

I should have known from the start I was in for a long night.

First off, the U clamps that suzuki provided for the engine guard are approximately 1/4" too wide to fit the holes on the engine guard.  Couple that with the fact that they're sticking out at a slight angle and you are beginning to understand why my finger hurts.  One should NOT need a hammer to get a U bolt to fit through a drilled plate.

Once the engine guard was in place, I mounted the 'Universal' highway pegs.  

years ago, I came to the conclusion that the term 'Universal' reall means 'Doesn't fit anything very well.'  Well, these pegs lived up to their expectations.

No matter how tight i crank on the bolts, I can't get them to stay put.  Worse yet, I can't get them symmetrical.  One is too high the other is too far out etc.  

I dorked around with them for a good 3 hours.  I'm tired, soaked with sweat and my fingers hurt.

Thank GOD for Jim Beam.....

Maybe i'll try again in the morning.

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Re: Ow!  I should have known better!
Reply #1 - 09/04/07 at 18:42:03

skrapiron -FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I'm sitting here nursing a sore finger with a tall glass of iced whiskey wondering why I just did what I did.

No matter how tight i crank on the bolts, I can't get them to stay put.  Worse yet, I can't get them symmetrical.  One is too high the other is too far out etc.  

This is probably a dumb suggestion, but is there any way you can use clamps to preclamp the thing straight, and then tighten the bolts? maybe use pieces of wood if you can't get a grip on it?
I'm not exactly sure in what was they don't end up symmetrical, but anyways it's just a brainstorm.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
nervekiler

ridin in the rain

vancouver, wa
Reply #2 - 09/05/07 at 12:47:45

in my line of work i have problems often with top mount battery terminals not grabbing the post even when the terminal is tightened to the max i can still twirl it with my finger and pull it off..

what i have done, granted this is a battery terminal and not a foot rest that will ever have any real force placed upon it, is to squish the terminals into a little more of an oval shaped. not very noticable to the eye but my channel locks and a good squeeze usually get the terminals to grab better on the battery post as i tighten them back down..

if the pegs dont fit and they have a similar clamping attatchment that is too loose.. i would reccomend this approach... however, be careful not to damage them and keep in mind over time they will probably loosen up especially if you are putting pressure on then (like resting your feet on them)..

just thought id offer this suggestion.

Frank T. Cartoys jantzen beach

97 savage 650 - HD pipes, carb spacer mod, idle screw adjusted, 152.5/55 jets, K&N air filter, big crank battery, chopped up a bit
WWW dirtbikehero mryummm   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #3 - 09/05/07 at 18:10:19

I look at it this way Skrap, you ain't worked on anything unless you hurt yourself somehow. That's how ya know ya did something worthwhile.  Grin

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 09/06/07 at 16:59:11

grab the beam b4 the wrench   8)

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 09/07/07 at 06:42:33

nervekiler wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
in my line of work i have problems often with top mount battery terminals not grabbing the post even when the terminal is tightened to the max i can still twirl it with my finger and pull it off..

what i have done, granted this is a battery terminal and not a foot rest that will ever have any real force placed upon it, is to squish the terminals into a little more of an oval shaped. not very noticable to the eye but my channel locks and a good squeeze usually get the terminals to grab better on the battery post as i tighten them back down..

if the pegs dont fit and they have a similar clamping attatchment that is too loose.. i would reccomend this approach... however, be careful not to damage them and keep in mind over time they will probably loosen up especially if you are putting pressure on then (like resting your feet on them)..

just thought id offer this suggestion.

I have used this method of forcing threaded things to go together several times. This, along with some locktite & IF ther's room for a jam nut, try that, too.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #6 - 09/07/07 at 12:24:32

well, I got it on, finally.....

I centered my bike on the lift and got it to sit plumb.

I used a 40" level across the mounting pegs and made sure they were level to one another, then torqured the bejeezus out of the bolts.  It still bloody slipped.

What i finally did was rough up the surface of the crash guard with my dremmel and the inside of the clamp.  Mounted them back on, torques the bolts and VIOLA!  No more slipping!

The pegs themselves went on very easy and have been a GOD SEND!

I rode 361 miles today to visit two customer sites. The bars and clamps allowed me to change positions frequently.  Other than a raging case of monkey-butt, it was a really pleasant ride.

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 09/07/07 at 13:18:34

What I have done to make things not slip (like your pegs) is to take strips of rubber and insert that inbetween the clamp and what it's clamping on to.

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #8 - 09/07/07 at 14:12:47

toddlamp8 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
What I have done to make things not slip (like your pegs) is to take strips of rubber and insert that inbetween the clamp and what it's clamping on to.

That's a great idea! Seems like it would also prevent scratching the paint on some things.

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #9 - 09/07/07 at 18:39:42

toddlamp8 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:

Inner tube rubber is usually perfect.  And inner tubes, especially for bicycles, are cheap!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:20:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ow!  I should have known better!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.